buying smaller size for motivation?

Options
has anyone done this? I have been wanting to go shopping for new clothes really bad lately but i dont want to buy clothes im hoping wont fit in a couple months. So i was thinking about buying pants 1 size smaller for motivation. Like right now i wear like a 9 or 10 and so i would plan on getting a 7ish. what do you think?

Replies

• felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    anyone???
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought of going to a thrift store and buying clothes that fit now for very little money and then doing it again when they get too big?
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    Yep - bought shorts for next spring off the clearance rack and intentionally made sure they don't fit yet. Once the leaves (and snow) start falling, the shorts I have now are going to Goodwill! Does no good to hold on to big stuff - just gives you a crutch for not following through!
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    definately have.... I bought a few dresses for added pressure.... also made sure they were fairly expensive like $300 so I would be really made at myself if I didn't get to wear them.... so far I have been able to wear the ones I have purchased... time to go out and by 8s and 6s :)
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    I did by accident, I ordered some shirts online that turned out to be a couple inches too small all the way around but decided to keep them as motivation shirts.
  • brimarie95
    brimarie95 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Of course you should. I haven't wanted to shop and recently decided to replace a pair of khaki capris that someone commented about my saggy butt. I really didn't want to buy size 8's cuz I don't want to be in them for very long. First pair of size sixes I tried on, and they fit. I was so excited. I probably would of still bought them if they didn't fit quite yet.
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Have you ever thought of going to a thrift store and buying clothes that fit now for very little money and then doing it again when they get too big?

This is what I did - I bought a pair of Nike shorts for like $4.00 and hopefully when I fit into them I can use them to jog in! :)
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yes! I buy jeans a size down and usually fit into them sooner than I thought. I don't know if it actually motivates me to keep going, but it sure does make me feel good about myself. I just got a pair of size 6 Levis and I am not all that far off from being able to wear them to work. It's fun to hold them up and look at them and think "NO WAY is my butt going to fir into these" but it does. :happy:
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think I'd buy something a size smaller if it was a t-shirt, but not any other garment.
    Clothes just fit too weird to buy something without trying it on first, in my case. Even when something is the CORRECT size, sometimes I don't like it when I try it on, just because it fits weird and the proportions are strange.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    yes and no :) I have bought the bare minimum clothing as I've gone down in size, but I've always had one smaller item in my closet to try on periodically. It is a great feeling when the sorts that would even close earlier in spring can be worn comfortably! I don't know that I would buy a whole lot of clothes in a smaller size though.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I did, but unfortunately it just didn't work out well. I got to that size but the shape was all wrong. I'd just promise yourself you'll got to x store and buy x item... that way you will get the right shape for your new body! X
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did that. When we were both pregnant, she was convinced she was going to lose all this weight after she had the baby and she went on a spree at Marshall's and bought all these sizes smaller than she wore before she was pregnant with Ian (that is her son). Well, needless to say, to this day, I don't think she has ever gotten in those sizes because I don't think she had the motivation and that was almost 7 years ago now.

I think if you're following the MFP plan of logging and exercising, then buy a size smaller and see how long it takes you to reap the benefits. =)
  • mmenos1023
    Options
    Keep in mind you'll be missing the satisfaction that will come with buying clothes in a size smaller, knowing they will fit. For me, it's a bit disappointing leaving a store with cute clothes knowing that they won't fit.
  • megmendaciloqence
    Options
    that depends on the person, really. if you're prone to depression, it is the worst thing you can do. before i took mood-stabilizers, having clothes i wanted to wear that were too small just made me depressed and upset and had a negative effect on my health. now that i'm on the meds, i bought a pair of size 7 jeans, roughly 7 sizes too small for me, because they are the size i wore when i was at my skinniest, and i use them as motivation for myself that yes, i did used to be that small and yes, i can do it again.
  • felicia8604
    Options

I always shop at thrift stores.I dont even remember the last time i bought a pair of jeans at a real store! lol.. I love platos closet! thats where i plan to go but was just wondering about buying smaller sizes!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

This is what I did - I bought a pair of Nike shorts for like $4.00 and hopefully when I fit into them I can use them to jog in! :)

No harm in it though if it's a cheap purchase like this x
  • felicia8604
    Options
    that depends on the person, really. if you're prone to depression, it is the worst thing you can do. before i took mood-stabilizers, having clothes i wanted to wear that were too small just made me depressed and upset and had a negative effect on my health. now that i'm on the meds, i bought a pair of size 7 jeans, roughly 7 sizes too small for me, because they are the size i wore when i was at my skinniest, and i use them as motivation for myself that yes, i did used to be that small and yes, i can do it again.

No im not...i kept a pair of my favorite jeans from before i had my first baby and they were my motivation and i got back into those but even then i could of stood to lose some weight like now.
  • GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have actually done that recently, and it really helps. I've bought jeans 2 sizes smaller and shirts 1-2 sizes smaller. It really motivates you to work out harder and gives you a goal to achieve. Once you actually achieve that goal of fitting into your new clothes, you gain a ridiculous amount of confidence as well and start feeling happier with your own body. I would say that you should definitely go for it if you plan on continuing to work out regularly. You just have to stay dedicated with working out and not slack off, which is always dangerous! Good luck!!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a LOT more weight to lose than you do but yes. I have shirts in varying sizes in my closet right now.

It's partly motivation and partly practical. Whenever I see something cute that's cheap I go ahead and buy it because I know that it'll fit eventually. The stuff that is too big is not allowed to stay though. That gets boxed up for donation right away.

The excitement each time I fit into the smaller stuff is amazing. :D
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    when i started i told myself to wait. But I found this totally awesome pair of pants I fell in love with and bought them in what should be my size when I reach goal. I have gotten frustrated a few times, but love those pants and won't ever be able to find them in any other size so have to keep going. Down over 20 lbs with between 10 and 15 depending on the day lol:love: