Help!! The scale is going up!!

Options
I have been following this program for 5 weeks and in the first 4 weeks was thrilled to lose 14 lbs! So this morning when I weighed I was totally bummed out. Although I have started exercising this week(Loving Leslie Sansone!), (I only did a small amount of walking the first few weeks) I have gained 2 lbs since last Sunday! Now I am wondering if in the first 30 days I have eaten too few calories and slowed down my metabolism (I am set at 1200 calories per day). I have went over on my sodium a few days, but have stayed at or a little below my calorie goal and drank tons of water.
I read the post on here by Dan and refigured my BMR and subtracted the 30% which figures out to 1571 calories. Has anyone tried this method, and how did it work? I am scared to death that if i bump it up I will gain back the 12 lbs I have lost so far! So my dilemma is....should I try it that way or stick with what I am doing a few more weeks and see what happens?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Shelly

Replies

• iamluce
    iamluce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    if you've just started exercising, it could be just water weight that your muscle is holding on to. it happens to everyone.
    and two pounds is really not that much, especially if you lost 14 in 4 weeks. relax, lower your sodium and keep up drinking water and exercising and you'll see it drop in a couple of days.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    exercising makes you gain false weight...this is why I've been putting it off! haha. I read a great article on this a while back...it explained that some people actually gain or don't lose for two to six weeks. The tissues of the muscles tear and hold fluid. In the end..you'll be getting smaller..then start dropping again.

If I were you? Id stay off that scale for a few weeks and keep up what you're doing.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Exercising can make you "gain" weight, but really you're still losing inches and being healthier. Also, don't worry about metabolism, it's pretty hard to trash your metabolism, after all it's STILL working, and no going low on calories and then upping them will not ruin it! Keep pushing yourself and you'll do great!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    These sorts of fluctuations are completely normal and nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what you are doing, and you will likely see the 2 pounds (and then some) go away in a week or two.
  • jwapal
    jwapal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and getting very frustrated so I started tracking my measurements too. I have lost 4.5 inches on my waist and 3 on my arms. That helped me not get discouraged when the scale wasn't showing progress. Keep up the good work and it will pay off, just be patient :)
  • slleader
    slleader Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!! I tried the measuring thing and have lost 2" on my waist and hips!! That sure puts the motivation back into gear!! :)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should try it! I started about 4-5 weeks ago (from1240 up to at least 1540). I'm losing weight at the same rate or maybe even a little faster overall and I only wish I'd done this a lot sooner!

ETA I might not have lost the first week or two, but I tend to lose less at certain times of the month anyway, so I'm not positive if it was the calorie increase or just hormones.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Remember, too, that 3500 calories are in a pound so you would have to eat a lot of calories to gain that much so fast! There are times when I'll go from one day to the next with the scale going up a few pounds - which is IMPOSSIBLE! I just laugh and remember too watch my sodium better.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Bodies fluctuate. I can be up or down (Falsely) as much as 6 lbs in a day. Exercise will cause a temporary gain, but it's not fat -- it's water weight, and the benefits of exercise far outweigh the tribulations of scale fluctuation. Take progress photos, and keep measuring those inches.

1500 calories sounds like a better goal for you. 1200 is too low for most people, although I wouldn't say you've done any damage in just a month. Do 1500 calories for 3-4 weeks and see how it treats you; I think it will go well.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    When I go on the scale after exercising I weigh less, not more...
  • slleader
    slleader Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I go on the scale after exercising I weigh less, not more...

I always have before too, otherwise I wouldn't have been concerned and asking others for advice!!