School Lunch??

Options
Hello, I'm a Junior in High School, I was wondering what's healthier??

A school salad, or a regular school lunch? I can't find the calorie chart anywhere!!

But normally, there's rice, usually chicken, and breads...

I'm not sure which to choose from?? HELP PLEASE!

Replies

• para999sal
    Options
    Hi there,
    I would leave out the bread.
    Salad is always good with a low calorie dressing.
    Chicken will give you a little protien.
    Rice is good you need the carbs that will help to stop you snacking.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If it's possible, bring your own lunch. That way you can control exactly what you're eating. If not, chicken and rice can be healthy and filling, but so can a salad, depending on what's in it.
  • JessMySize
    JessMySize Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks ladies, will take into consideration! :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a good balance of macros (healthy carbs, lean protein, a bit of fats) and make sure you get at least 1 serving of vegetables and maybe 1 fruit, I think anything is okay. My daughter is in Jr High and I know they have a veggie bar, where they can get fresh veggies and fruits after they've picked up their regular lunch. I would also suggest fat free milk (unless you have a specific reason not to) - many studies have shown that low fat dairy can help regulate a healthy weight, and as a growing girl, you really need the calcium.

Vary what you eat so that you don't get bored.
  • itsabbylove
    Options
    I think it would depend on the day to day. But typically, the salad would be much healthier. You can pick out all the things that seem "unhealthy" and hopefully your school provides fresh fruit for you to eat in subsitute. But I agree, bring your own lunch or at least your own snacks! Im a senior in high school and I stopped eating hot lunch years ago in order to make sure I would be eating healthy foods!
  • JessMySize
    Options
    @Mathjulz,
    Usually, I bring my own drink, which is only 5 calories, my school doesn't have the option of veggies, I'll just eat veggies before and after school, thanks, haven't tried that. :)

@itsabbylove,
    Thanks Abby!! I'll definitely eat more salad than the normal lunch, I'll switch it up, every other day. :)
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    just plug in the options here in the search bar and choose whatever is closest to what u will be eating to give u an idea of the calories
  • JessMySize
    Options
    Than's RealWomanLove.: )
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    if you are feeling that concern about whats in the school food you buy, just simply make your own healthy lunches at haome and bring them to school:smile:
  • ghimm
    ghimm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Be careful with school lunch. I'm a teacher, I've always been overweight, but in less than a year I gained 40lbs. The only thing I changed about my life last year was eating school lunch every day. It may seemed balanced, but generally it's very starchy and fatty. You're best off bringing your own lunch.