What to do if you ate too much

Options
I have only been with fitnesspal for two weeks. I mentioned that I've never been "on-weight," but maybe 10-15lbs over. Joining, I didn't really change anything.

I was getting comments like: "Oh, you eat really well!" Or, "Wow, you're doing great with the exercise," not realizing that these are my HABITS.

The reason I have never been On-weight is not because of my HABITS, but what I do on OCCASION.

Like last night.

My plans got cancelled so I decided to stay in. I ordered take out food AND ATE THE WHOLE THING!

It added about a 1,000 calories and put me almost 500 over my daily limit.

So... how should I feel? Should I try to exercise more, or limit my food by 500 today? What's the best way to cognize it? I don't exactly feel guilty, because, well, this has been a habit of mine for a long time. Should I start to feel guilty to break the habit?

What do you do when this happens to you?

Replies

• RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    just get back on track again, don't worry about trying to make up for yesterday, but try to change those habits in the future
  • alaynarobinson1
    Options
    I had this problem for a while too, feeling the guilt, but I have learned to shake it off and considering tomorrow a new day to continue my normal routine. It's all about balance. I allow myself twice a month to go to my favorite restaurant and get a burger, fries, and a beer. Otherwise everyday I stick to 1300 calories (eating all organic) and make sure to burn at least 1000 calories a day. I stated my weight loss regimen 4 months ago and during the 2nd month I was depriving myself of the foods I loved and was MISERABLE. Then I decided to have a designated day twice a month where I would eat what I want and in the last couple weeks I've been losing about 4 pounds a week. I've lost 30 pounds in 3 months and only have 11 more to go!
  • para999sal
    Options
    We all have the odd naughty day.
    I would put it behind you and move on.:smile:
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    don't punish yourself for the overeating, you will only make yourself feel worse and more likely to overeat again cos you are feeling bad.

Firstly keep a mood diary, either in your food notes or somewhere private. Keep track of how you feel and check this against what you are eating. Find your triggers - what leads to overeating/binge? From there you can find ways to cope with your triggers that are not overeating.

E.g. boredom was a big one for me, so now I have more ideas of quick things I can do like paint my nails, do the daily mini-challenges (or invent my own), waiting 30mins to see if I am properly hungry, go for a walk, go for a bike ride,

Some people eat because they are upset/sad - in that case you need to find out what is causing it, what you can do about it and ways to avoid it leading to overeating. Is there any 'treats' you can have in that don't involve food.

Low self esteem is another one. I find treating my body well, healthy foods, exercise but also moisturising, exfoliating and other little things that reinforce that my body is worth looking after, raise my self esteem when it comes to body image.

You have to work out why you are doing this and then find a way to stop it. Knowledge is power, use this instance to help prevent future occurances.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would just exercise extra and start a new day tomorrow :)
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If I eat a larger meal then I feel sick now...that's enough pain, I don't add guilt as well.
  • Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I guess if it really were an "odd naughty day", 'cause that's the thing. "Odd naughty days" are what has kept me from experiencing my optimum body my whole adult life.

I really want to make a change for the better that I won't do stuff like that anymore. I really don't feel well today - That was a whole lot of oil I ate last night!!!
  • phiddy23
    phiddy23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I suppose you should plan for the future, so do things like a) don't have the kind of food that you might go overboard on in the house at all and b) next time you order a takeaway, don't order as much food.

Maybe restrict your calories by 50 or so more a day for ten days afterwards? Not exactly noticeable or hugely difficult but could cancel out some of the extra calories eaten, and I would definitely up the exercise, particularly on the next day.

Other than that, don't be too hard on yourself, it sounds like you have a pretty good attitude anyway.
  • MyTime1207
    MyTime1207 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If this habit is rare and your weight really hasn’t been compromised, I wouldn’t worry about it. Yes reducing your calories for the day or even a walk around the neighborhood can mentally/physically help. If your weight begins increasing because of your habit, then you should think about modifying your habit. Hope I was helpful.
  • GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I have those days too. You can't do anything about it, except move on and try to learn from your mistakes/correct what you did wrong in the future. If you stick with your diet & exercise routine, it will be like you never even had that cheat day. Stay dedicated!!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Since you say its a "habit", why not build a positive habit on top of it? If you are going to "eat the whole thing" plan for an extra calorie burning workout to compensate. When I am going out, or even planning an occasional special meal at home with dessert, I try to work out extra, so I can enjoy my victuals!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, I have those days too. You can't do anything about it, except move on and try to learn from your mistakes/correct what you did wrong in the future. If you stick with your diet & exercise routine, it will be like you never even had that cheat day. Stay dedicated!!

I just chalk it up to being human and get back on track the next day. Maybe the next time you will take a walk or something instead of eating.
  • BalletBadass
    Options
    If your regular diet is healthy, and you get sufficient exercise, then the odd binge won't make you gain weight. Unless it's a weekly binge. Is it?

Honestly, if you want your body/health/mind to be different, you have to actually DO something different. Exercise more or eat less. You've clearly found the equilibrium for your current weight. However, it sounds like you don't want to remain there. Change something, and you'll get a different result.

ETA: I totally binged last night - ate an entire Domino's pizza by myself. Strangely, I was still under calories for the day. But, I felt icky this morning, and am drinking a ton of water and heading to the gym shortly. We can't undo a bad choice, but we can make better ones going forward.
  • Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If your regular diet is healthy, and you get sufficient exercise, then the odd binge won't make you gain weight. Unless it's a weekly binge. Is it?

Honestly, if you want your body/health/mind to be different, you have to actually DO something different. Exercise more or eat less. You've clearly found the equilibrium for your current weight. However, it sounds like you don't want to remain there. Change something, and you'll get a different result.

Well, yes, this is EXACTLY my problem. I need to change the way I'm thinking about this, because in fact, my USUAL habits are so healthy, it becomes that much easier to blow off an occasional binge.

Like I said, I've never been THAT overweight, so the social stigma to change this behavior hasn't been that high.

I really just want to stop doing stuff like I did last night.

I truly believe it is the ONLY reason I am overweight.
  • sarah2334
    sarah2334 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get back on track today. Eat less if you are still feeling full. Do some additional cardio this week a couple times. And recognize the emotional trigger. Your plans got cancelled. You ordered something awesome and ate it all. Next time, see it coming. Track it on MyFitnessPal before you order it. It usually makes me stop and think harder about it. If I am weak willed and order it anyway, I put half of it away so it's not in front of me or I throw it away. I find tiny indulgences help me stay motivated. You're already living healthfully. That's great. But remember it's calories in and calories out. So hit the treadmill, walk the dog, work it off in whatever you like. . . It's 500 calories. For me that's an hour of singles tennis. I can't think of anything I'd rather do. Hang in there! You'll find your stride. :smile: