What burns calories quicker swimming or jogging? Advice plea

Options
I have just started my 2010 get fit life style.
I need to start exercising as I'm very unfit .. but not sure what burbs calories quicker swimming or running ?
All advice welcome :-)
thanks

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I know that jogging about 50 minutes I burn way over 500. I have never worn my HRM swimming!
  • lbragg
    lbragg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of calories burned during various activities...Hope this helps!

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I believe running...
    swimming is hard to keep track of because you are getting wet...
    Running I burn around 100 calories in 10 minutes
    Estimations for swimming would be around 70 calories in 10 minutes
    (for my body size)
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    although swimming is way better for your knees if you have bad knees
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Becareful if you start running if you are not a runner you need to build up to jogging. You can injure yourself. STart out slow. Swimming is awesome for aerobics and things like that.
  • cathyc85
    cathyc85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice.

I am new to MFP and this is my first post and I'm very very impressed with the speed of my reply from you all.
    Really nice to know when u need advice or support people are out there and I'm not just writing to myself :-)

Thanks again
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My opinion.....

Try both. Alternate. See which one you enjoy more. See which one leaves you feeling more ..... um.... "good sore"?? lol.

If you are unfit, running can be a long task to build up to, whereas you can swim in shorter bursts and build up a little more quickly, imo.

Both are fantastic workouts. I love water aerobics, although I've only been once. I'd say swimming is more of a full body workout, but only slightly moreso than running.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    It will really vary for your body - what i mean is - the physiology is not different, - but your body may keep a higher more steady heart rate at one vs the other. For me, I HATE running and am prone to stopping and walking and letting my heart rate down. I LOVE swimming and burn 10 cals a minute average (500-600 / hr) - but this is at a clipping pace without stopping at the ends. There is also the fact that you breathe a lot differently swimming vs running and depending on how fluid (haha!) you are in the water, your ability to breathe regularly, deeply, and consistently can affect your heart rate and stamina majorly.

There's also the question of - you may burn more doing one thing or the other... but your happiness / enjoyability has to factor in as well! Plus, you may burn more (let's say) running, but if you hate it and run hard for 25 minutes and stop because you hate it, vs swimming at a lower heart rate for an hour because you love it... you would end up with more overall cals doing more of the lower level exercise that you like or that is easier on you. I also get sore from running because I have herniated discs, so it is not really worth it to me to burn possibly more, but be in pain.

Notes on swimming - I got a waterproof MP3 Player (it's called an H2Oman and it was $20 on Ebay) and listen to books on tape whenever I get the chance to do laps. I also like to sit in the steam room and burn another 100 cals after :) It keeps my heart rate up to 145 - 150!! (though I acknowledge it does nothing for my muscle tone! I use it to do some hot stretching.)

My advise to everyone - get a heart rate monitor and learn how your body reacts to different things and how it burns during different activities. You can also use it to determine what heart rate you need to maintain to burn your desired calories, and then, no matter what the activity - do it to the pace / level that keeps your heart rate at that level - then you should burn about the same cals no matter what exact activity you are doing (then it comes down to what muscle is being built or toned, and that is a whole other story!)

EDIT - i recommend Zumba :) I am 5'9 and 160 and regularly burn 650 cals per hour and it is fun! If you weigh more you will likely burn more given you also keep your heart rate up.
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    i burn bout 400-700 cals joggin so its way better than swimming honestly :flowerforyou:
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It will really vary for your body - what i mean is - the physiology is not different, - but your body may keep a higher more steady heart rate at one vs the other. For me, I HATE running and am prone to stopping and walking and letting my heart rate down. I LOVE swimming and burn 10 cals a minute average (500-600 / hr) - but this is at a clipping pace without stopping at the ends. There is also the fact that you breathe a lot differently swimming vs running and depending on how fluid (haha!) you are in the water, your ability to breathe regularly, deeply, and consistently can affect your heart rate and stamina majorly.

There's also the question of - you may burn more doing one thing or the other... but your happiness / enjoyability has to factor in as well! Plus, you may burn more (let's say) running, but if you hate it and run hard for 25 minutes and stop because you hate it, vs swimming at a lower heart rate for an hour because you love it... you would end up with more overall cals doing more of the lower level exercise that you like or that is easier on you. I also get sore from running because I have herniated discs, so it is not really worth it to me to burn possibly more, but be in pain.

Notes on swimming - I got a waterproof MP3 Player (it's called an H2Oman and it was $20 on Ebay) and listen to books on tape whenever I get the chance to do laps. I also like to sit in the steam room and burn another 100 cals after :) It keeps my heart rate up to 145 - 150!! (though I acknowledge it does nothing for my muscle tone! I use it to do some hot stretching.)

My advise to everyone - get a heart rate monitor and learn how your body reacts to different things and how it burns during different activities. You can also use it to determine what heart rate you need to maintain to burn your desired calories, and then, no matter what the activity - do it to the pace / level that keeps your heart rate at that level - then you should burn about the same cals no matter what exact activity you are doing (then it comes down to what muscle is being built or toned, and that is a whole other story!)

EDIT - i recommend Zumba :) I am 5'9 and 160 and regularly burn 650 cals per hour and it is fun! If you weigh more you will likely burn more given you also keep your heart rate up.
    What is Zumba? :smile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

What is Zumba? :smile:

It's a cardio latin dance class - but don't worry! You don't have to be able to dance and after 2-3 classes you wont care if you look goofy! I KNOW I look like a ridiculous crazy person - but I don't care [anymore]! A lot of places don't have it yet, but most YMCAs do and many other places. You can look at www.zumba.com It is the best workout! The website makes it look a little cooler / hipper / edgier than it is in mainstream America - so don't let that intimidate you - we don't look like they do when we do it! :wink:

Some clips:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm7DyRjtWRc

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zumba&search_type=&aq=f
  • Alexandra888
    Options
    I would think jogging but there are site you can look that up. But do both to switch up your routine. You cant go wrong with either you know?
  • leslie17
    Options
    If you havent ran you need to build it up your endurance. I was extremely over weight when I started working out. I knew I could walk 30-45 minutes so every week I added a minute of running. During the first couple of months the minutes were not together I just wanted to run and have a burst of energy here and there. It worked. I can now run 6 miles straight through.

Also, if you have a access to a treadmill. Walk on an incline. That will burn calories much faster.

Hope this helps.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    when I was taking my classes in college my teacher said that someone who normally does not really workout should beable walk 2 miles at a fast pace about 4mph before starting to jog.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    If you decide to start running, look up Couch to 5K workout. Super simple and amazing how much it builds up your endurance slowly. For someone who hated running before unless being chased, I am now addicted.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both running and swimming. However, don't pick an excersise based on how many calories it burns. Pick something you enjoy doing. Because if you don't honestly enjoy it, you may do it for a little while, but you won't keep up with it.

To answer your question, while running probably burns more calories for the same time peroid. You can probably swim for longer and probably burn more calories.