shopping. disappointment. Why not motivated??

Options
I just got back from Kohls. I went to buy bras but also looked at some back to school clothes (I teach part time). I bought some gray Dockers that are a bit too tight but I can wear them. Then I saw the prettiest pink sweater--I gasped when I saw it! I was picturing how nice it would look with the gray . . . then I went to try it on and I just looked all lumpy. Oh, and it was an XL, so I couldn't go to a bigger size.

I have been "trying" to lose weight for about a year now. I say "trying" because, well, I'm not really trying that hard. I have a lot of reasons to want to lose 40-50 pounds, and I review them pretty much every day, sometimes several times a day. I have these experiences like the one in the dressing room today, or seeing pictures of myself on vacation, and I am like, "That's it. I've got to do something about this weight." But then, when I'm faced with decisions in the moment, I usually just give in and eat the chocolate or whatever. I don't know why I can't get and stay motivated.

Back in March, I stayed focused and lost 14 pounds! Then Easter came, traveling, holiday food, etc., and set me right back on an unhealthy path again and I haven't gotten back on track for any decent length of time since. (Oh . . . and I've gained back the 14 pounds.)

This is really bothering me! I've never had this much sticking to a weight loss program before. I don't know what's wrong with me this time . . .

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I would go back go kohls..buy that sweater in a large and hang it up by your fridge. I purposely bought a couple of cute things and hung them where I could see them. Also being on here..and making friends really has helped. I now watch what I am putting in and pushing off during the day. If I want something bad enough to eat it..I'm gonna have to walk or do something extra to earn it. Sometimes just making or setting a short little goal is a good push??? Feel free to add me..I'm on here ALL the FREAKIN' TIME! :)
  • msdani12
    msdani12 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree with punkmom, use it as motivation! I know how it feels to lose and then gain it all back. It's frustrating! But know we're all rooting for you! Feel free to add me (:
    Best of luck!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    oh yeah I've done that whole roller coaster thing of weight. I was always a heavy kid..and even heavier teen-ager. I took up smoking at age 16 as a diet aid...yep that worked. Smoked until I was ready to start a family..quit smoking..ballooned back up to like 190 and then added more on when I got pregnant. Didn't lose any of that..had baby number 2 and didn't gain much with him but didn't lose any either. Fast forward to like 5 years ago. I dropped 40 lbs in a matter of MONTHS...only to gain it all back. Here I go again. STOP THE INSANITY! I am sooo happy to have found MFP! My best friend and I live in the same neighborhood and we walk 3 miles every other day and sometimes every day depending on how our moods are. We are also starting a zumba class next month..and did I mention I'm gonna be 50 in a week or so???? I want to be one of those healthy kick *kitten* 50 year olds :)
  • Jelyn47
    Jelyn47 Posts: 14
    Options
    It took me 4 years to get motivated, I just got fed up with the way I looked and the number on the scale. Just start using MFP and once you start seeing the pounds go off, you will get even more motivated! Try rewarding yourself with something, I think that helps too.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Read the book....The Beck Diet Solution train your brain to think like a thin person by Judith S Beck.

It talks all about the mental roadblocks to weight loss.
  • azmarante
    azmarante Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to be motivated to lose weight, how about try being motivated to a smaller goal? i.e logging everything on MFP. Don't stress about whether you are under calories or net calories or any of that. J

Just focus on logging everything you eat first and keep doing that until it becomes a habit. Write it down on a piece of paper or whatnot and make that your FIRST GOAL: Write down everything!

When you do that move on to SECOND GOAL: See what I can cut out! (the foods you didn't realize had so many calories or were so unhealthy)

Then maybe move on to exercise, etc.

The main point is try to do things in baby steps not all at once. Good luck!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to be motivated to lose weight, how about try being motivated to a smaller goal? i.e logging everything on MFP. Don't stress about whether you are under calories or net calories or any of that. J

Just focus on logging everything you eat first and keep doing that until it becomes a habit. Write it down on a piece of paper or whatnot and make that your FIRST GOAL: Write down everything!

When you do that move on to SECOND GOAL: See what I can cut out! (the foods you didn't realize had so many calories or were so unhealthy)

Then maybe move on to exercise, etc.

The main point is try to do things in baby steps not all at once. Good luck!

Great advice and concentrate on getting that walk in 6 days a week and make sure you do join that Zumba class. When your working out you don't want to spoil your hard work! Works.for.me anyway x
  • MommaBelvin
    MommaBelvin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    im having a hard time losing weight also and i agree with buying that sweater because right now iv noticed that my motivation is 1. to fit into the cloths i have that are too small and 2. to be a sexy pirate for Halloween :) lol the last one is for fun lol id like to lose 15-20 pounds before Halloween. you should also try a vision board . . . i have one and they are fun to make and a great way to get motivated . .. what you do is get all your old magazines together or go out and buy some new ones . . buy some poster board and then cut out things from the magazine that you will look at and it will keep you motivated . . . i have pictures of me on there also of me 40 pounds lighter as well as other things too keep me motivated like little sayings and pictures. give it a try and feel free to add me anyone!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Make sure you make changes to your eating and exercise habits that you can live with long-term. If you like chocolate, make sure you can have a little bit every day. Also, if it can work for you, give yourself a day off from counting calories and worrying about eating strictly healthy foods. One day a week, get some individual servings of chips, candy, soda, or whatever it is that you want. Go out to a restaurant. Get some fast food. Enjoy that day eating the foods you don't eat every day. It will help keep you sane and on track because you're letting yourself indulge, even if it's just a little bit. And, chances are that as you go along you'll crave those foods less and less as your body gets used to eating healthy foods.

Add me if you want some support. I know what you're going through. My anniversary was a couple of weeks ago and I was really bummed about not being able to wear anything nice. I'm smaller than I have been in over 4 years, but I'm still not able to fit into my old, nice clothes. So now, I'm working hard at sticking to my calorie goal and I'm doing what I can to get in exercise at least 4-5 days a week, if not more.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have about 22--30 pair of the cutest pastel colored "dress" jeans. The kind I can wear to work in a business casual environment. Dress em up with a pretty shell and a silk jacket and poooooooof Im good to go. Those damn things are hanging in my closet just "weighting" (HA!!!). I WILL wear them---and SOON.

DO that pink sweater---you owe it to yourself. My jeans are my incentive because I hate dress pants and we cant wear regular blue jeans. Let your pink sweater be your incentive.

YOU
    CAN
    DO
    THIS
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hi! Fellow teacher here!!

I agree with taking baby steps and focusing on ONE thing at a time. Don't look at the overall big picture of how much weight you have to lose. Look at it in increments of 5, 10 or 15 lbs. I still find myself thinking, "Fine, I've lost 78 lbs. but wing ding. I have 97 more to get to my ultimate goal." I have to get off that slippery slope quickly or it can mess with my head! I've got a little list of how much I want to lose each month. Because I was so incredibly overweight, my goal was and still is 10 lbs. a month. Anything more is gravy!! ;) I readjust as needed. I was foolish and didn't take my measurements when I first began b/c I was mortified. Now, I'm kicking myself for not doing so.

After you get into the habit of logging in every single day, then start to eat healthier. I was shocked at how much sodium I was consuming so I began tracking that daily. Increase your water intake. Then throw in some exercise. I was thrilled if I took a 15-20 minute walk! Now, I can walk for an hour. Check out your MPF friends' food diaries for ideas. My friends and I are constantly commenting on foods others are eating that we may not have thought to try.

Make attainable goals and meet them. You can SO do this!! You have an entire MFP community cheering you on!
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We all have those feelings, good days and bad. Just keep trying. Go get the sweater, make motivated and supportive friends here, it really helps. One day at a time, it's a learning experience. Feel free to add me if you like or anyone else.:flowerforyou:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Every year I used to go on holiday and vow on my return that I would never look and feel so uncomfortable. After a few weeks of returning home I would get back into my old ways.

What I am trying to say is, we all want to make changes, but sometimes it is so easy to stick to our old routine no matter how bad we feel when we see our selves in the mirror/buy clothes etc.

But it is not too hard to change your routine, changing a food for a better food, adding some walking, small changes here and there can lead to a difference in how you see yourself and motivate you to make even more changes.

Keep making those little changes each and every day x
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oh!! Also wanted to add that I am someone who wants to have one cheat meal a week. I have done that since I began and it has really worked for me. An entire cheat day would be too much but oh, do I love my cheat/indulgence meal!! :)

Having that one meal a week keeps me on the total straight and narrow for the rest of the week. The next day, I start right back on my healthy eating. I never feel deprived doing this.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

LOVE this! I'm going to try that this week : D