Time-cardio vs weights

Options
I know that I have read somewhere that you are waisting your time just doing cardio. So I started dividing my time starting with 30 min cardio and 30 min on weights.

Does anyone else have opinion on this? Just wondering if I should devote more time to cardio.

Thanks!

Replies

• vtachycardia
    Options
    Usually it is strength first then cardio.

Other opinion is learn to do strength routines that keep your heart rate elevated and kill two birds with one stone. Ladders, tabata, forms of hiit
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely weights first! Look into doing barbell complexes they definitely get the hr up!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use cardio for weight loss and strength training to tone. To me weight loss is more important, for now, so I only do cardio if I just have time for one or th eother
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and strength on alternating days.

I do cardio because I enjoy it, and weights because I enjoy the results: better body and better running.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    focus MORE on weights and LESS on cardio.
    But you have to do the right strength training. Put down the 5 lb dumbbells and throw a 45 pound bar over your shoulders and squat. Then next time, once you learn form, make it 50, then 55, etc.....
    do the same for deadlifts, bench press, overhead barbell press, and barbell rows.

cardio just gives you a higher caloric deficit. do it if you ENJOY it, as a form of mental release.... heavy weights change your body for the better both physically and health-wise...
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I use cardio for weight loss and strength training to tone. To me weight loss is more important, for now, so I only do cardio if I just have time for one or th eother

Exactly the reason to learn to combine the two. Time available to workout.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    There is no "right" answer to this question. It really depends on what your goals are....stick with your split for a while and gauge your progress and results. Sometimes you have to revamp your regimen and see what works best for you.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and not doing cardio at all.

Why don't I do cardio:

1) It's a great way to make your body efficient, especially if all you're doing is the same thing over and over again. As your body gets efficient, the level of effort needed to maintain the same level of a calorie expenditure goes up.

2) With the exception of swimming, the opportunities for repetitive stress injuries like plantar fasciitis, torn ACL, etc especially at higher weights is huge.

3) I only have so many hours a day, so I need to be efficient with my workout time.

Ultimately, any exercise is better than no exercise, and if it's something you enjoy doing, you will be more likely to keep it up. For me, doing cardio makes me think of Hamster wheels. Properly done, resistance training can also incorporate conditioning elements.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the weight loss of effects of cardio can be duplicated by restricting calories alone. so if you are able to control your calories, you don't need to do one second of cardio to lose weight. for me, when I am on a small deficit (300-500 cal) i don't do cardio. When I'm on a large deficit (1000-1500), i do.

that said, if you need help with your heart rate or cardio endurance, cardio is required. lifting weights will help with that a little bit, but not nearly to the extent that true cardio will.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    the weight loss of effects of cardio can be duplicated by restricting calories alone. so if you are able to control your calories, you don't need to do one second of cardio to lose weight. for me, when I am on a small deficit (300-500 cal) i don't do cardio. When I'm on a large deficit (1000-1500), i do.

that said, if you need help with your heart rate or cardio endurance, cardio is required. lifting weights will help with that a little bit, but not nearly to the extent that true cardio will.

Come and train with me doing weight training that hits your cardio system,, 45 minutes of 80-85% of Max heart rate. Or is this not true cardio, whatever this true cardio is.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I alternate days for strength training and cardio. I strength train 4 days a week, and do cardio on 2.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    1) It's a great way to make your body efficient, especially if all you're doing is the same thing over and over again. As your body gets efficient, the level of effort needed to maintain the same level of a calorie expenditure goes up.
    That's exactly backwards. As you become more aerobically fit the level of perceived exertion to maintain the same calorie expenditure goes down, way down. The increased efficiency gained is trivial.

The reason everybody thinks the calorie burn goes down is an artifact of the grossly generalized algorithms in most heart rate monitors.
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    Options
    focus MORE on weights and LESS on cardio.
    But you have to do the right strength training. Put down the 5 lb dumbbells and throw a 45 pound bar over your shoulders and squat. Then next time, once you learn form, make it 50, then 55, etc.....
    do the same for deadlifts, bench press, overhead barbell press, and barbell rows.

cardio just gives you a higher caloric deficit. do it if you ENJOY it, as a form of mental release.... heavy weights change your body for the better both physically and health-wise...

Totally agree with this all the way. Heavy weight lifting is proven to burn twice the amount of calories as cardio, in the same time period. Cardio is good for a healthy heart, circulation, stamina etc, so its still good to do some of this on rest days, inbetween weight training days. Also when you do lift weights lift heavy with low repetitions for best results. Lift as heavy as you can while still managing a maximum of ten reps, no more. Also, free weights (ie use of the barbell and dumbbells) is far more effective than weight "machines", because with free weights you work far more of your body in each exercise. Squats, dead lift, bench press, bent over rows, and overhead shoulder press are all excellent free weight exercises, as they are compound exercises, meaning you work major muscle groups. Hope this helps. Good luck with it all :)
  • bambi_woodward
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I'm excited to try some of your suggestions!