I know lots of folks can't afford protein powder but..

Options
..I found one on sale today and if you have a Grocery Outlet or any type of grocery store that sells a lot of product that is either expired or near expiration, you might want to check yours out. I got a 2 lb jug of Advanced Formula Body Fortress which just happened to be recommended to me by my friend John/EPICSRT. Although I didn't know he recommended it til I got home from grocery shopping, :laugh: and saw his post:drinker: :drinker:

Anyway, it was on sale for 14.99 if anyone is interested:) denise
PS I think Winco is a grocery outlet store?? I could be wrong;) Oh, and mine was from Grocery Outlet and expiration was 7/31/14 ;)

Replies

• NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Walmart has that **** on sale... It is where I buy mine for like 14 bones a trough full!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Very glad to know I picked something good, by pure chance:drinker: Geesh, I gotta learn from you young peeps on how to get Walmart to take "bones" instead of cash, that could save me even more:laugh:
    Walmart has that **** on sale... It is where I buy mine for like 14 bones a trough full!
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    whew, tell me about it. Our Zumba class does protein shakes too, and the jugs are $85 bucks a pop. I bought one and it lasted like 2 months. But, it was the best protein shake I ever had.
  • BoomerAngel
    Options
    I am super particular about my protein powder, even though I am strapped for money. I use a high-grade powder that does not upset my stomach. I tried most every kind out there before finally landing with Intek "Evolution". I spend about $40/month for 2 shakes a day (in my blender). I sacrifice other things in order to have a high-grade powder, but this is mainly due to the stomach issues I was having with other powders. Finally, I have one that works perfectly with my body. We are all different. I would LOVE to use less expensive options, but they do not work for me. Intek "Evolution" is the best ever for me.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that if you can afford it:) They do help though because I tried making my own and still only came up with 15 grams of protein.

denise:drinker:
    whew, tell me about it. Our Zumba class does protein shakes too, and the jugs are $85 bucks a pop. I bought one and it lasted like 2 months. But, it was the best protein shake I ever had.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    There's always foods some of us can't tolerate and what is good is you found one you could:) denise:drinker:
    I am super particular about my protein powder, even though I am strapped for money. I use a high-grade powder that does not upset my stomach. I tried most every kind out there before finally landing with Intek "Evolution". I spend about $40/month for 2 shakes a day (in my blender). I sacrifice other things in order to have a high-grade powder, but this is mainly due to the stomach issues I was having with other powders. Finally, I have one that works perfectly with my body. We are all different. I would LOVE to use less expensive options, but they do not work for me. Intek "Evolution" is the best ever for me.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Money is VERY tight for my family, but when I budget I figure the protein powder in as a fixed bill. I do this with my dog food and other things I know I have to have. The only thing I still have problems with in my budget are tires and car repairs, because they are so unpredictable.

My protein powder has to be the most protein for the calories, taste like I'm getting a treat, and not have an after taste. (I'm very picky!)
  • trudence1
    Options
    Money is VERY tight for my family, but when I budget I figure the protein powder in as a fixed bill. I do this with my dog food and other things I know I have to have. The only thing I still have problems with in my budget are tires and car repairs, because they are so unpredictable.

My protein powder has to be the most protein for the calories, taste like I'm getting a treat, and not have an after taste. (I'm very picky!)

What kind did you find you like? I just tried a new one and do NOT like it, but will finish it off anyways because I can't afford not to.
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Costco. The brand is Kaizen and they have decadent chocolate and vanilla ice cream flavors. The cost is $45 each and they taste amazing. I have been using them for months now and they have definitely helped me to lose weight and control my appetite. I drink one in the morning and usually have one at about 3:00 pm everyday to curb my hunger so I don't overeat in the evenings.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I buy mine in bulk for $6.99 a pound. It's just the straight protein powder with no added sugar, flavor or sweeteners so I can do pretty much anything I want with it from there.
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    possibly interested in trying this stuffs - So you blend it in with a smoothie or something? Does it make you feel more full? make you feel better after/before work out? what is the benefit of this stuff?
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Sounds good to me, and smart! Budget, yes, I need to plan much better:)

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    It's really more of a supplement in my opinion, but yes, I do use it for lunch quite often. The more I get used to eating right (all my macronutrients, protein, complex carbs, good fats like nuts and olive oil or other nut oils etc)then I don't have a hunger problem at all. My smoothees are full of things though many don't use, so I can't say just protein powder in skim milk or something would do as a meal replacement. A meal should consist of all the macros.

If you get enough protein in your regular food then there is no need for protein powder, no need. I like having it because I don't always want to cook, easier to blend something up. There are lots of opinions/ideas on how and when to do protein powder. Yesterday, I had the biggest workout since I came to MFP and I "should" have had a protein smoothee after but I didn't. The more you do weight resistance/muscle strength building the more you need your protein to build those muscles. Check out the emtwl group, all kinds of good stuff on using protein. Or just do a search anywhere on the forums for "protein" or maybe muscle building. Also, Google is my best friend when it comes to searching on topics but beware of the gimmicks, fad diets advertisements and sites.

Denise:drinker: :drinker:
    possibly interested in trying this stuffs - So you blend it in with a smoothie or something? Does it make you feel more full? make you feel better after/before work out? what is the benefit of this stuff?
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    ..I found one on sale today and if you have a Grocery Outlet or any type of grocery store that sells a lot of product that is either expired or near expiration, you might want to check yours out. I got a 2 lb jug of Advanced Formula Body Fortress which just happened to be recommended to me by my friend John/EPICSRT. Although I didn't know he recommended it til I got home from grocery shopping, :laugh: and saw his post:drinker: :drinker:

Anyway, it was on sale for 14.99 if anyone is interested:) denise
    PS I think Winco is a grocery outlet store?? I could be wrong;) Oh, and mine was from Grocery Outlet and expiration was 7/31/14 ;)
    Not only can I not afford it, I don't like it! It's a real shame because that's everyone's solution for how to get more protein. But it tastes like chalk powder! Ick.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My husband gets a big container from Target, and it's pretty inexpensive.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That's a really low quality protein. Get ready for some indigestion and protein farts. It's really 154 calories for a scoop, not 140.

You probably also don't like water retention or being bloated right? You'll probably notice some water retention as well and that's because it has creatine monohydrate in it.

There's much better proteins out there. It's really not in your best interest to go by price... you get what you pay for with nutrition products. You can get some veggies that have been sprayed with pesticides and chemicals that are genetically modified so they grow bigger, faster so farmers get a higher profit for say $1, or you can get organic chemical and pesticide free non-gmo veggies for $2.
    ...yeah the $2 organic veggies are more expensive but which veggie choice is going to be healthier for you?
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options

^^^that Intek Evolution is an AWESOME protein. One of my favorites.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Mine is 50 bucks for a 5 lb container and its one of the highest rated supplements around, its all I get.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    This isn't a bad idea at all, I didn't know they sold it in bulk. That's a super way to go if you don't want the added sugars, denise
    I buy mine in bulk for $6.99 a pound. It's just the straight protein powder with no added sugar, flavor or sweeteners so I can do pretty much anything I want with it from there.