A question for the ladies

Options
Hello everyone,

I recently got off the pill (about two weeks ago) and have lost about 3.5 lbs since then. I have been on a 1200 calories since mid July and was losing weight but the loss has accelerated dramatically, so I'm left wondering if it is because I'm not on the pill anymore. And, will I gain all the weight that I lost so fast back? I plan on continuing the 1200 cal diet.

I would appreciate your help if you have been in my situation before.

Thanks, have a great Sunday!!
Badcat

Replies

• tatimoco
    tatimoco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The pill will make you gain weight. Just maintain your 1200 calorie diet. Just like all of us struggling with our weight, we will all gain it back if our mentallity takes over. Think postive and more important LOVE yourself. Make sure you drink your recommended fluids. Drink to shrink. Lots of luck in your journey. You can do it
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Birth control doesn't make you gain weight, it just makes it more difficult to maintain a slimmer body and lose excess weight. Your weight loss will speed up being off it, but then will go back to normal!
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you, ladies! =)
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm on Implanon and from what I've heard, it works like the pill in some ways. Weight gain happens on this because of water retention and an increased appetite from the hormones. If you can control your appetite and drink lots of water to stave off water retention, that's your best bet. I've been downing water because I've been terrified to gain weight on this implanon, and have actually seen weight loss-along with my diet and exercise. Weight gain may not happen to you and let's hope it doesn't to either of us :). Good luck.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    The pill will make you retain a small amount of water (about 5 pounds or so) and often increases appetite. It does not usually cause excessive weight gain. That being said, some people will always react more strongly to a medication than others. The rapid loss you experienced is probably mainly due to your body making adjustments and dropping the excess water.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Birth control doesn't make you gain weight, it just makes it more difficult to maintain a slimmer body and lose excess weight. Your weight loss will speed up being off it, but then will go back to normal!

This is completely conditional.

I went off the birth control pill last fall and lost 14 pounds within 6 weeks exactly. If your birth control contained high amounts of progesterone (most do, but not all) you can bet that it will make you gain weight (not to mention lose and/or gain body hair). If you read the prescription information (I.e. the pamphlet or stack of papers the pharmacist gave you when you first filled your prescription) weight-gain is listed as a side effect of 99.9% of all birth control pills. The pill can do even more damage if you have a hormonal disturbance in your body.

>>> We studied birth control in my toxicology class last year lol. It was enough to scare me off the pill, especially since the information was coming from an unbiased source (pharmaceutical toxicology textbook). Since then condoms have become my best friend. <<<----
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The pill convinces the body that it is already pregnant, and hence prevents it from getting pregnant.... and we all know what happens to a woman's body when she's pregnant!!
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body's reaction to the brand of pill.
    The last time I went off the pill I gained 10 lbs in a month. Yes "off" that's not a typo.

The brand I'm on now has not changed my appetite and I loose weight faster on it than off. Lost 4 lbs in the first 2 weeks. Which is standard for some people, but I'm on a 0.5 lb/week deficit.

I've tried 3 or 4 other brands that didn't work for me, I had to put up with a lot of different side effects before I found one that makes me feel good to take. (nausea, weight gain, irritability, mood swings, depression, anti-social tendencies, over emotional to everything).

My philosophy: If it makes you feel worse to take it, its not working for you. Try something else!