Running?

Options
Can I start off try jogging if Im not a runner? Are should I walk and build myself up? Maybe it's a crazy question and I should just try but I would like to know what others have done.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Get some good running shoes before you start! You can really mess up your knees before you know it! I would try walking alternating with jogging to start with. Good luck!
  • snoppdog69
    Options
    Hi,

I would recommend the C25K running program, it gradually builds you up from beginner at week 1, to running 30mins non stop on week 9.

It's a combination of walk then run then back to walking again. I'm on week 3 now and it's really helped.
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I started I walked for 30 mins nearly every day then after a couple of weeks when I felt I wanted to (and could) jog I got good jogging trainers, a hefty sports bra and donned the tracksuit bottoms.

If you try and run before you can walk fast you might find your shins/ankles get extremely painful. I'd try walking first and some good shin/calf warm ups to build up the muscles required to run without injury.

Good luck it's totally doable, I like you could never imagine myself jogging but it's second nature now! x
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Any kind of exercise that you are new to should be eased into over the course of a week or two. I would suggest starting out with some interval work. Walking and Jogging but keep your distances manageable in the beginning and add to each session and over time you will be increase distance and speed.... Best of Luck.....
  • Buffdrita
    Options
    I've been doing intervals of fast walking and jogging for about 6 weeks.
  • nadiamode
    Options
    I totally vouch for the C25K program too. It eases you into the idea of running and builds up your stamina gradually. I never thought I could run -- or enjoy it! Stick with it and you'd be so impressed with yourself. :)
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Yes, running is good. I still wog (running and walking). I second the good running shoes, find a place the will measure your gait and fit you for shoes. Also, if you have a place with a gazillion stairs that will help build stamina too. Try treadmill running and outdoor running too. They are two completely different animals. Keep us posted. :smile:
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    Go for it :D

I used to hate running, never thought I'd ever be good at it let alone enjoy it. Then I started trying to actively get fitter/healthier, and because I'm poor/don't live near a gym etc I figured running was the only way forward. My boyfriend runs a lot so he was really supportive, definitely try and find someone who will give you tips and motivate you 'cos that really helped me.

At first I just did little 12-13 min runs, as that was all I (htought) I could do, and I was like 'well it's better than nothing.'

Then about a month ago I started pushing myself to do longer routes, within a short space of time I've gone from 12 minutes to half an hour!! I shocked myself, but honestly now on my rest days I'm like 'oh I wish I could go for a run.' i think I may have been brainwashed...! Haha!
  • Jessjs100
    Jessjs100 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice..it was helpful.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Another one to vouch for C25K, it got me up and running. I now run twice a day, and get grumpy if I can't run!

The NHS have done a free set of podcasts that take you through the weeks, it's rather good, here's the link if you're interested: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx .