Skipping Breakfast

Options
So I know I should eat breakfast every day, but to be honest-I'm not really a breakfast person. Maybe every other day I'll eat breakfast because I make myself. But I also don't really like breakfast foods that much, so I'm kind of at loss for what to do. I LOVE yogurt, especially chobani greek yogurt, but I don't always like sweet things in the mornings. Sometimes I'll eat a hard boiled egg just so I have some sort of protein in my system. But sometimes if I try to make myself eat breakfast in the mornings, I get a sick feeling in my stomach. What should I do? Is this something that I should talk to my doctor about or should I just suck it up and make myself eat breakfast everyday?

Replies

• Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it's a misconception that you have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast. Like you, I can't stand the thought of food int he mornings. It usually takes me at least two hours after I've gotten up to feel hungry. When I was younger, this meant I ate a lot of granola bars at school. Now that I am older and work in an office with a break room, sometimes I'll have a bowl of oatmeal or a greek yogurt 1-2 hours after I get to work, sometimes I'll have leftovers from the night before or even raid my lunch then. I'm a big fan of dinner leftovers in the morning.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    There are some reports that show delaying breakfast actually helps lose weight. I have been trying it this week. It's one way of doing intermittent fasting. I think breakfast is highly overrated. Everyone is different; eat when you're hungry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to eat breakfast from a weight loss perspective. Intra-day meal timing is irrelevent, assuming the same calorie and macronutrients.

Just eat it if you feel better eating it and/or it will help you meet your calorie/macronutrient targets, otherwise, dont.

ETA: unless they specialize, doctors are not very well versed in nutrition most of the time.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When I wake up in the morning, I can't have breakfast. I have no appetite and eating will make me feel sick. Just how I am. So I skip breakfast and I instead sometimes go for something around 11am, such as a crispbread and a coffee, just to keep going. But mostly on a working day, I will have my lunch at around 1pm. My Mum is the same as me, she doesn't do breakfast...

So I think we are all different. If you worry, go to a doctor. However, you sound just normal. Your body won't always want food until it has woken up a bit ;) Put it this way: you sound more normal than me!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Once you get into the habit of eating breakfast you'll find that you are hungry first thing in the morning. It's a habit like any other activity. I don't think anyone HAS to eat breakfast, but I like to eat my food in a balanced schedule throughout the day.

My nutritionist is big on breakfast as well and I've actually been increasing the size of my breakfast. For example if I have cereal for breakfast I often add a hardboiled egg or cottage cheese or almonds to supplement it. I then don't snack until luch time.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an insulin dependent diabetic, or hypoglycemic, you don't need to eat at any particular time. If skipping breakfast means you don't hit your calorie goal for the day I could see that being problematic. Otherwise, meal timing is completely irrelevant.
  • nicolecress
    nicolecress Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't think it was that big of a deal, I just get a lot of comments from my coworkers and friends about how I shouldn't be skipping breakfast. But I typically don't get hungry til about 10:30-11:00. And I have noticed that if I eat as soon as I wake up, I get even more hungrier by the time lunch time hits and I ususally end up eating more.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and an A.M. workout guy so for me breakfast is my biggest meal of the day but that is only by preference. There is no internal meal clock that you must follow, it really comes down to an individual basis and what works for you. Your main goal is to hit your daily caloric intake and macro's for that day. Whether you do that in one big meal or 3 or 4 meals at any given interval is your choice.... Best of Luck
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I always eat breakfast but it used to be as small as a coffee and a peice of fruit since I liked to save my calories for later......however my personal trainer suggested that breakfast be my biggest meal of the day and since doing that I'm losing weight again and never have I felt so great. I went from 100 cal breakfasts to 250 calories then I hit a plateau now my breakfasts are 500 calories and it keeps me going all day and I get minimal cravings, I also don't get hungry like I used to.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Breakfast starts the eating day off right! I eat mine at 2pm- a nice big meal with whole grains, (usually) fresh fruit, protein and fat. Its awesome! I would prefer to wait until later and eat a full meal than have something unsatisfying first thing- all that does is make me hungry all day. It's all about personal preference. There's very little evidence of any metabolic advantage to any eating schedule over any other.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually don"t eat breakfast (at the most, ill have coffee with milk). I'm just not hungry in the morning. Plus, if i do eat something in the morning, I am usually hungrier throughout the day.
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    My advice is be careful of opinions. Everyone has one. Do your own research.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    For many many years I never ate breakfast, then I went thought a few years of donuts and double coffees. Now I eat a a more normal breakfast. When I wasn't eating a proper breakfast, I kept reading how wrong it was to skip breakfast + you should eat 3 to five meals during the day. Now I believe it really does not matter when you eat unless you have a specific health problem e.g. need to balance insulin.
  • horrorghoul
    horrorghoul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that but if I forget to eat "something" I get so sick and I sluggish. You don't have to eat breakfast foods. Sometimes I'll eat dinner for breakfast or even leftovers. lol. .
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast. If you look at my log that quaker bar is normally ate at 2 in the afternoon. I became overweight about 10 years ago. I weighed 125 when my second child was one so my weight gain is not from having kids. I also feel sick if I eat early. It is okay for you not to eat breakfast.
  • memmers
    memmers Posts: 112
    Options
    I just saw this on Dr Oz not too long ago. Its a hunter/farmer diet and it says that hunters can usually skip breakfast to build up an appetite. I am hardly ever hungry first thing in the morning either so i will probably try this hunter diet thing out.

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/hunter-farmer-diet-solution
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I don't eat breakfast on weekdays and only occasionally with family on weekends. You should check out www.leangains.com it will back this up!