How Did You Get Over a Plateau?

Looking for people's experience at successfully getting over a weight loss plateau. What did you do? Just stick to the same plan, or something special?

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    I took a full diet break. I ate at maintenance for 2 weeks

Nice to give my body a break!
  • staceybiomed
    staceybiomed Posts: 16 Member
    Bump! I definitely need to hear some answers on this too!
  • I plateaud for two or three weeks. I kept going and then stepped up my cardio. Now I have started to lose again!
    It happens keep going. Eventually more will come off.
  • if you train do a few weeks of weights or go from flat line resistance to increasing/intervals or change from high resistance, moderate speed cardio to low resistance high speed...

just change your routine
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    I took a full diet break. I ate at maintenance for 2 weeks

Nice to give my body a break!

This. I've made it a habbit to once in a while for a couple days to a couple weeks eat more. I also found that zig zagging calorie intake really helps (eat lower than needed one day then more than needed the next, constantly switching it up).

Changing what you do for exercises also can help. Your body may be used to what you are doing, pump it up a bit more, make sure you're sweating and of course drink tons of water!
  • I ate maintenance calories for 7 days in a row.That seemed to help me out a bit.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    I would like to know too. :)
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    I joined MFP ... ,keeps me honest. accountable, lots of support and motivating stories
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Take a week off from the gym with just some light running and light weight lifting for an hour or two the whole week (if any lifting). Usually I'm really set to go that next week. And been anxious to get back in the gym. So it give my muscles and body time to recover and also gets me amped to workout again. I usually will set a new PR that second week back from the week (or two) off of working out.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    I started eating back my exercise calories and the scale started moving again.
  • I took starting taking a weekly cheat day, eat whatever I want all day, as well as starting intermittent fasting. 10hr eating window, 14 hr fast. worked like a charm, have no problem with continuing to lose AND its a lot easier to maintain the daily diet than it was before.
  • Jenloma
    Jenloma Posts: 77 Member
    I've been working out for 3 months and so far haven't had this problem. I mixed my routine and eating, so its never the same week to week. One week, I'll have no cheat day and I will exercise 60 minutes everyday...then week two, I have a cheat day and work out 45 minutes on an elliptical and I'll lift light weights...week 3, I'll do something totally different....I just keep changing, so I won't have this issue. :/ I hope it works for me. I just heard to keep tricking your body and it won't happen
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Diet breaks do wonders for me.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    I cut back on my running and dropped my calories for a week; I switched to walking & took two days off during the week. Helped me lose 3 lbs the past week.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    I cut back on my running and dropped my calories for a week; I switched to walking & took two days off during the week. Helped me lose 3 lbs the past week.

I wonder why cutting back on running would help?
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Bump.