Venting...sorry in advance!

Options
In a little over a week I will be having major surgery to correct a hiatal hernia and to wrap my stomach around my esaphogus. This results in being similar to gastric bypass or lap band surgery meaning I have to start out with liquids and graduate up to solids very slowly. This also means I can't exercise for at least 6-8 weeks with the exception of walking. Now the worst part is how many people in my life are telling me that I should just quit eating good foods and exercising and just pig out and stop exercising all together. This is so hurtful to me that these people in my life don't realize that I haven't taken the easy way out and I've truly made a major lifestyle change. I would never use my surgery as an excuse to let myself go even if it's only for a week. This girl will be eating healthy foods and exercising up until surgery day! I will also be back to hitting it hard with insanity and ChaLEAN as soon as my doc gives me the thumbs up! Ive come too far to ever think about quitting because of some stupid surgery! End rant and thanks for listening :) only MFPs would understand this!

Replies

• 319tokona
    Options
    Sorry to hear this. I will pray for you during these days. I am sure recovery will go well. Keep me informed.
  • mesee619
    mesee619 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As long as you get the all clear from the Doc--I say follow your own wishes.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am having gastric bypass and a hiatal hernia repair at the end of September. I was set to have it in June, but was denied by my insurance two days before the surgery. I appealed three times and was shocked when approval finally came through. I decided last year that enough was enough and changed my eating habits. I don't think anyone having bariatric surgery of any kind is taking the easy way out. I have had people tell me that I am, too. I just ignore them. I'm going to do what my doctors and I think is best regardless of what anyone else has to say. Good luck with your journey. Walking is still great exercise, but you will be back at more rigorous things in no time. Congrats on making the choice to have a healthier life!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yup, we get it. Those others seems to be projecting onto you what they would do if they were in your situation - become a binge eating sloth. You have way too much respect for yourself to do that. Take care.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    wishing you well with the surgery and your loss so far is awesome !
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'd say you have the right idea. The better shape you're in when you have the surgery, the easier your recovery will be. It is major surgery and good nutrition beforehand will definitely be of benefit to you both on the operating table and in recovery and thru the recouperation period.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Venting is allowed here. People who offer that kind of "advice" are trying to reinforce themselves of their own bad habits. Don't waste energy being upset at them (not worth it) and continue to take great care of yourself. Best wishes on your surgery and listen to the doctor so you don't risk injury, etc. Take care. :flowerforyou:
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    After surgery, even if you could exercise, you probably wont be drinking enough calories to need to (Jello and broth are only so good). Just be super careful not to mess up the surgery. Once you are cleared by the doc and eating normal again do whatever makes you happy.
    Something to consider and talk to your doctor about: You may want to take a week off from too much dieting and exercise. Maybe just shoot for not losing or gaining, like eat 2000 healthy calories or whatever to maintain. You dont want your body trying to heal sore muscles at the hospital; You want all your bodies focus on healing the surgery. Your body will go through enough strain as is while recovering.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Continue on with taking care of yourself. You know what your needs are. :smile:
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Never mind those people. Good luck on your surgery. You'll do fine. Make sure you have all the right stuff stocked up, to make it easier. You probably already thought of that thou... Here's a feel well flower in advance! :flowerforyou:
  • needtogetwell
    Options
    keep up your positive attitude and tell those not supporting you to take a flying leap! They aren't concerned with your welfare. Good luck with the surgery and recovery! What you have done to date is amazing and inspirational!
  • angelcarp
    Options
    Good luck with the operation....im sure everything will be ok and before you know it you'll be back at the exercising! Theres one good thing about walking....you have time to enjoy the surroundings, every flower, every cloud... just do things at the right pace for yourself, then all will be good. :smile: :smile:
  • etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    Honestly those people are idiots for telling you do break your routine. Hopefully you do not call any of them your friends. You keep going girl. Keep us posted.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am confused. You have your current weight listed as 146. And while having hernia correction surgery, your doctor is going to also perform weightloss surgery on you when you only weigh 146 lbs? Is this correct? I thought weight loss surgery was only approved for people having large amounts of weight to lose. This is a dangerous surgery when you only have a small amount left to lose. If you have already lost so much thru hard work, why would you have weightloss surgery now?
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I hope that it all goes well for you. To be honest though, you can't expect those around you that have never made that kind of change to understand. If all they think that you have done is go on a diet to drop a few lbs then they just aren't going to get it. Feel better soon!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think the plan is to snip off part of the hernia that is moving up out of the stomach area.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are having a nissen-fundoplication. I hope it goes well and you have a speedy recovery! I have had multiple hernia repairs, my most recent ended up with a 10" x 14" mesh stapled to my pelvic bone and pulled up to cover my entire abdominal wall...I basically have NO abdominal muscles anymore from so many hernias. Don't push yourself too hard, let yourself heal and rest. Start out with walking and you will be doing the Insanity again in no time!
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    In fact, I reckon that keeping well in the run up will help your recovery. Your body will only be able to heal so much while it;s detoxing crap from your body.
  • joeandcarmen
    joeandcarmen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You have lost 47 pounds! Way to go! You have the most important thing it takes to lose weight. Your mind is set. You continue to do what you know is right. It's okay to treat, reward yourself once in awhile, then get back to it. I think your doing great and I hope I can keep it up and lose my weight. I'm proud of you!
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My husband had a Nissan-fundoplication, and it is not an easy recovery. Because he couldn't drink or eat much, very small amounts for a long time. He lost weight (and he didn't need to) and got quite weak from the decrease in nutrition. So take gentle care of yourself during this time; it will take time to get your energy up and back to more serious exercise. It was like a miracle surgery though for the symptoms.