Serves 10

INGREDIENTS

3 tbspn. Olive oil
3 onions, halved and sliced thin
1/2 tsp. brown sugar
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken stock low sodium
3 19-oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (I used White Pea beans/navy beans)
1 cup chicken stock low sodium
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 cup light parmesan (I used Kraft)
1/2 cup gruyere, shredded
2 tbl. fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper
DIRECTIONS

QUICK NOTE: Step 4. Do not cook the beans too long or they will turn to mush.

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat 2 tbl. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, brown sugar, and a bit of salt and cook, stirring often, until softened. Turn the heat down to medium, and continue cooking until the onions are caramelized. This can take up to 35 minutes; adjust heat as needed.
3. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for a few minutes more. Stir in the wine and cook until nearly evaporated. Transfer the onion mixture to a medium baking dish and spread into an even layer.
4. Add the beans, broth, and rosemary to the skillet and bring to a brief simmer. Off the heat, stir in the parmesan and 1 tbl. olive oil. Season with S + P to taste and spread the beans evenly over the onions.
5. Sprinkle the gruyere evenly over the top. Bake until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

Replies

• begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That sounds tasty. Can you subsitute black/kidney beans?
  • Smudjie
    Smudjie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes, the black beans are a little dryer but I used a mix of black beans, white cannellini beans, and small red mexican beans the second time I made it. Made it more colorful and a little different texture :)
  • UmmShahad
    Options
    Bump!