Want to start running

Options
I want to take up running but want to know the best way to start. I have heard so many conflicting stories. I have some people telling me to start running and keep pushing myself through the pain and I will get fitter quicker ect. But I then have other people telling me to do it in circuits so run 2 mins walk one minute and so on and build on that. I want to know what is most effective.
I started running last year but stopped due to shin splints but think that was due to running in the wrong trainers on hard concrete. so I stopped and never started again. But I see people out running all the time and think how the heck do they do it and just keep going and they seem to enjoy it!! That is what I want to achieve, I want to grab my ipod and just run and run and keep going as a way to escape the world and get fit too. So any advice is welcome!!!

Replies

• ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k
  • HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k

Yep. C25K. Find it, follow it, and love it. And it will love you back.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I 2nd Couch to 5k!! I did this earlier in the spring and loved it! Just download the app and it'll tell you when to jog and when to walk. And you can repeat days/weeks if you need to.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k

^^^ worked for me
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    When I first stared, I couldn't run at all, jeez, i couln't even run a bath!!! I started by running for 1 min, walking for 2 x 4 or 5, and built up from there. Although Im no expert, I can now run 10k quite easily and have completed a half marathon with only 1 walk break. There are loads of good training programmes out there, C25k is a popular one, I just bought a running book for beginners. Good luck, hope you enjoy xx
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have not been running for very long, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think there is a single best way to get stated. I would say the single, most important thing you can do is go to a running store and get them to help you select the right pair of shoes. I had shin splints in the past (and back pain) so I went to a true running store and had them check my gait and suggest a few pairs of shoes that would work for me. I am now up to running 2.5 miles/day and have no issues with my shins or back.
  • Lexyvaness
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great. You can also google training to run a 5k. It will give you a breakdown of what you need to do. Start out slow. Don't rush. Make sure you do exercises to help alleviate the shin splints. Stretch, stretch, stretch.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the C25K program which does quite literally take you from doing no running to completing 5K in 10 weeks. I completed this recently and have now progressed to the B210K. Good luck with your running.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight and your level of conditioning. For example, a very heavy person could put dangerous stress on his or her joints if s/he started to run flat out without any preparation.

If you're in reasonably good shape and not going to put too much strain on your joints, Couch to 5K is a good program. You could also try a running club. They might have classes for beginners. Certain running shoe stores have classes and clinics.
  • Jamiejlow
    Options
    Thanks for the post and reply. I am in the same boat. I want to start running also. I would like to do a half marathon next year. So Couch to 5K here I come.:-)
  • xxpinkcandyxx
    xxpinkcandyxx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's!! cant believe I haven't heard of couch to 5k before, Looks like the way to go!!
  • 4theluvofme
    Options
    I am new runner too. It is really hard at first especially if you have old injuries. I feel ya there! What I am doing is intrevals. I started out running 30 sec walking 30 sec sadly that was all i could do in the beginning. Then I got on a track and ran 1/2 lap walked 1/2 lap, I am now up to running 2 laps walking 1 lap! Feels great. I can feel my endurance building each time. I am doing a charity walk in Sept that I hope to run some of. We will see? I don't know if you enjoy hiking or are in an area with trails, but i found trail running to be so much easier! Not sure why, but I love it! Also as I'm sure you know good shoes are crucial! When I started I had a generic pair of tennis shoes and it just about killed me. I have a pair of reebok realflex now and I love them. It made all the difference in the world! I hope to go get fitted for my next pair and I'll be golden! Good luck! Add me if you would like a fellow new runner as a friend :smile:
  • xxpinkcandyxx
    Options
    I completely agree with the trainers....I just decided one day i was going to start running to help me get fit....never really thought it through properly but off I went anyway in the most unsuitable trainers possible....after a few weeks I was starting to see a big difference then the pain hit me....and as soon as i stopped running it hurt more so i kept going until i eventually couldnt do it anymore and ended up crying for the rest of the night in pain:cry: After that I never went back but i regret not doing it properly! so this time i want to be prepared:smile:
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above about the C25K! Cannot emphasize the need to get fitted for the proper pair of running shoes. Poor fit and rotation of your foot will give you wicked shin splints. Unfortunately I found out the hard way on that one! Find a store in your area that specializes in running shoes. Take your current shoes so they can see how your foot moves/wears. They will also do an analysis of your gait. TOTALLY worth it!

Good luck!
  • laurenw1992
    Options
    Definately C25K, it doesn't matter what level you are at, anyone can complete this! I don't know anyone who's tried it and not succeed. So worth a try!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I printed it on here and have stuck it on my wall so i can tick off each session! Hope you give it a go!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have some people telling me to start running and keep pushing myself through the pain and I will get fitter quicker ect.
    NOT this.
    I started running last year but stopped due to shin splints but think that was due to running in the wrong trainers on hard concrete. so I stopped and never started again.
    Because of this.
    But I see people out running all the time and think how the heck do they do it and just keep going and they seem to enjoy it!! That is what I want to achieve, I want to grab my ipod and just run and run and keep going as a way to escape the world and get fit too. So any advice is welcome!!!
    You definitely do not want to fight through the pain and keep going as a beginning runner, you *will* get injured and you will have to stop running for a while... Again. Running puts lots of stress on bones, joints, connective tissue, and stabilizer muscles, if you don't get them built up over time, something will give out and you'll be sidelined. Try Couch to 5k (c25k) as others have recommended, and then once you finish the program you can gradually increase your mileage. Use the ten percent rule, never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%.
  • xxpinkcandyxx
    Options
    I have some people telling me to start running and keep pushing myself through the pain and I will get fitter quicker ect.
    NOT this.
    I started running last year but stopped due to shin splints but think that was due to running in the wrong trainers on hard concrete. so I stopped and never started again.
    Because of this.
    But I see people out running all the time and think how the heck do they do it and just keep going and they seem to enjoy it!! That is what I want to achieve, I want to grab my ipod and just run and run and keep going as a way to escape the world and get fit too. So any advice is welcome!!!
    You definitely do not want to fight through the pain and keep going as a beginning runner, you *will* get injured and you will have to stop running for a while... Again. Running puts lots of stress on bones, joints, connective tissue, and stabilizer muscles, if you don't get them built up over time, something will give out and you'll be sidelined. Try Couch to 5k (c25k) as others have recommended, and then once you finish the program you can gradually increase your mileage. Use the ten percent rule, never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%.

I completely agree...I thought that by pushing myself through the pain I was achieving something........no pain no gain type thing.....I thought I had to just push through it and it would eventually go away. If only I had known the pain that was to come!!!! I had never even heard of shin splints at the time. Never want them again!!