Hurt knee...still workout?

Options
So last night during my 3 miles walk/run, I seem to aggrivate my knee that I hurt last winter running. It's pretty tender today. I don't want to just sit here as I actually have time to workout today (even with my kids here "helping"). I know i can do push ups and sit ups, but wondering if I should even attempt to walk on the treadmill or do the elliptical? What do you think? Thanks!

Replies

• JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think light exercise would be fine, elliptical.....would be best. Im in the same spot right now, hurt my knee the other day and its still bothering me. I did read that its good to still workout, it will increase blood flow that will help with the healing.

With that said I'd go lightly when it comes to the knee's....Do everything else you can at high intensity but take it slow on the legs.

I was supposed to do Back and Legs today and decided not too...went Back and Biceps instead ! Recovery week is ahead for me so I should be ok...hoping anyway !!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    possibly a stationary bike? the motion actually helps heal...at least that's what I've been told.. Spin bike would work too..just stay off the extreme up and downs..that Spin brings...

I noticed before I started Spinning...my knee were really bothering me..and a trainer suggested that. I try Spinning.....I thought he was insane..but amazingly! It went away!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, I hurt my knee. It didn't hurt too bad, so I worked out again the next day, and the next and so on. I found I would wake up in tons of pain, but once I worked out I was fine...

Until one day, I did my workout and my knee still hurt. By the end of my shift at work, I couldn't walk.

8 hours in an emergency room later, I was put on crutches for a week and told not to work out for at least 3 weeks. I wrecked my cartilage or something like that?

The first few days on crutches I spent a lot of time doing punches while sitting on a stability ball. A week later, I slowly started doing the stationary bike. I'm pretty close to normal now, but 4 months later, I still sometimes find it difficult to run and some days, my knee just screams at me not to torture it.

It was definitely a lesson learned to pay more attention to my body and what it's telling me.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I took a rest day. It feels better but I can still feel it like a nagging pain. I'm going to try the elliptical later tonight so we will see how that goes.