cancer survivors

Options
Any cancer survivors trying to lose weight? I'm an ovarian cancer survivor. I was diagnosed at 29. I've recently had a couple of scares that I may have another battle on my hands, but so far things have been benign. My oncologist says that weightloss and exercise is one of the top ways to prevent a reoccurance of cancer so I'm motivated to get healthy for this reason among others. Looking for others who have gone through or are going through similar circumstances.

Replies

• longbird
    longbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Me! Me! This time last year I was in hospital every day for radiotherapy, and once a week for chemo. Cervical cancer. Yucky times. All clear since October though, and making the most of the change of attitude these things often bring. Attitude and MFP helped me lose the 16lb I put on during and after treatment in 16 weeks, and now I'm working steadily on the extra weight I already had before that...

I don't have enough energy or stamina yet to work out the way I used to, but I've found other ways to keep moving and am learning to go easier on myself when I physically can't manage something, though sometimes that's hard.

How's your energy these days?
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I am not a cancer survivor, but do work with them. There are some great exercise and wellness programs out there for survivors. If you haven't heard of the LIVESTRONG at the YMCA program, it's worth a look: http://www.livestrong.org/What-We-Do/Our-Actions/Programs-Partnerships/LIVESTRONG-at-the-YMCA

I've heard great feedback from survivors about these programs and how helpful they are to them , especially getting to exercise with other survivors. They seem to find it really rewarding.
  • longbird
    longbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That Livestrong programme sounds fantastic! Wish I could find something similar here in Scotland...
  • Lorelei432
    Lorelei432 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a malignant tumor removed from my thyroid when I was 5 months pregnant with my 3rd child. He will be 18 in October. I was so excited to have been "cancer free" for 15 years when I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. I had my radical hysterectomy December 27, 2009...and was in the hospital for a week due to losing a lot of blood, sent home with my cathiter.....and my wedding was 3 months away...

After the surgery I gained 30 lbs....was so depressed, even more so when 2 weeks before my wedding I finally admitted that I wasnt going to fit my wedding dress and changed that at the last minute...so I didnt feel my "best" on my day...

I go every 3 months to my oncologist to have my lymphnodes checked and the last two exams have shown abnormal cells...I've already had laser procedure done twice since my hysterectomy...

I've been struggling with my weight since then...up and down ...and being only 5'2" every pound SHOWS. But some days I just don't care....

so instead of being so thankful that having survived cancer twice...never needing chemo or radiation...I'm so depressed over my weight...which between the weight and the "procedures" done every 3-4 months really puts a cramp in the romance department since BEFORE the wedding.....ugh..

oh, and my husband telling me this week....and I KNOW he thought he was encouraging me and being sweet... says to me when I make a negative comment about myself ... "I've come to accept how you look sweetie".

This coming from a man who is very fit because his job is phyical and he must have the metabolism off the charts!

so if this is the motivation I need, so be it...what ever works, right.....
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yup. Osteosarcome survivor here. 9 years cancer free!
  • beckibrown67
    beckibrown67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too had thyroid cancer when I was pregnant with my third son. Thyroid totally encapsulated (size of a golf ball). Had a total thyroidectomy (16 years this December) followed up by radiation at three months post-op, 12 months post-op, and again at 2 years post-op. It was persistent, but I do believe I have it beat now. Living without a thyroid makes many things in life difficult, but weight loss seems insurmountable. I had my fourth son at 43 years old (I will be 45 next week) and the weight just will not come off. I hate the insensitive remarks such as "You can't help it, you don't have a thyroid", or "you look just fine to me". It's not about how we look to others, but rather how we feel about ourselves...and I don't feel so spiffy at my current weight (45 pounds over ideal). Glad to hear you beat the cancer twice. I truly hope you have it beat. Good luck with attaining your weight loss goals.
  • Apple2jacks
    Options
    Just An FYI... There is a Cancer group in the message boards. There is not much activity on it yet but I am not sure enough people have found it!
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi Missy, I had Stage III endometrial cancer 12 years ago. For some reason, I became much more sedentary after my treatments. Well, I guess it's because the radiation made me really sick and weak, and I never quite got back in the swing of things. Joined MFP in June, and I've been getting steadily more active. Don't have a whole lot more weight to lose, but my main thing is I want to get even more active and work on being really fit, and toning up. AND lose more, of course, since it's all concentrated in my midsection. Add me if you're looking for more friends! Good luck!
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had stage 4 colon cancer 19 years ago. 1 year of chemo as one lymph node was affected. 5 years followup with oncologist and the whole experience was scary to say the least. But the good thing is it was a wake up call for me to get healthy! Overall, I do eat somewhat healthy as to food choices but wa--ay too much. But am very thankful everyday to still be here. Thank you, God! I believe diet is very important to help prevent many illnesses.
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi -- Yes! I had breast cancer 6 years ago. This past year was the fist time since then that I really took it seriously to lose weight for my health. Everyday I wonder if the cancer will come back. I hope that losing weight will help!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I had all sorts of surgery to remove some things that were designated "pre-cancerous". No chemo though, so I guess I had it "easy".
  • Squamous1
    Squamous1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nine year survivor of Stage 4 throat cancer. Lost 55 pounds during/after treatment, then gradually put on ~5 pounds a year, until I was getting kind of chubby again. Joined MFP to drop 10 and I have dropped 24. That weight loss has contributed significantly to a 2 minute improvement in my 5K time (most recently 25:43)
    Now dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis.
    Ran 10.5 miles this morning, training for a half marathon in six weeks.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My husband is a 12 year survivor this October. CML (leukemia) when he was 19 years old and wasn't suppose to live past 2 years. He's still taking chemo pills everyday but we live one day at a time! It's why we started running half and full marathons to remind people you can do anything you put your mind to! Congrats on beating cancer!
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    I had breast cancer (and a mastectomy) just before my 21st birthday. I'm now 54 years old, over 33 years cancer free! I was fortunate not to need radiation or chemotherapy. And I was able to breastfeed my two children (not twins!) a few years after surgery. I count my blessings but continue to go for routine tests.

My weight problem stems from a different health issue.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had recently gotten married 7 months prior and at the age of 29, I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Non Hodgkins Lymphoma on 3/31/01. I had sugery and 4 months of chemo. I also had 4 other surgeries following for removal of adhesions, cyst, fluid and a benign mass. I still get CT scans periodically and see my Oncologist routinely but thank God I'm still cancer free. Every day is a blessing!

Today is my 12th wedding anniversary and hubby and I are headed out to Turks and Caicos in the morning!
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with uterine sarcoma in April. I feel incredibly lucky that it was caught early, but it was the wake up call I needed to get healthy, lose a huge amount of weight, and really enjoy life.
  • Lorelei432
    Lorelei432 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you...wondering if the next time I go in will be THE next time to be positive... I don't let it consume my, but it's always in the back of my head. Lots of times I don't really feel like a cancer "surviver" even though I've had it twice. I've been so fortunate in catching both of my malignancies early on where I never needed chemo or radiation... I haven't had to really "fight the fight".... but my girlfriend is wonderful (having had a double mastectomy) tells me I'm the reason that she keeps pushing forward...to bring awareness to others ... to CATCH it early and treat it early... that's the key.

she says I'm a walking BILLBOARD for why women need to have their ANNUAL PAP exams! EVERY YEAR. I NEVER had an abnormal test, ever......2008 was normal....2009 was abnormal .... was stage 1b cervical cancer. If I would have skipped that year...it would have progressed to the point where i WOULD have needed additional treatments...instead of just my lymphnode check/pap every 3 months...

Here's to "EARLY DETECTION AND GETTING HEALTHY!"
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am not a cancer survivor. However, cancer has certainly touched my life. But I just want all of you to know how amazing that I think you are for sharing your stories and I am in awe of the strength and courage it took for you to fight this terrible terrible disease.

You motivate me and remind me that life is too short to be concerned with the small stuff.
    Thanks for your posts!!
  • Apple2jacks
    Options
    Just An FYI... There is a Cancer group in the message boards. There is not much activity on it yet but I am not sure enough people have found it!

AND I was diagnosed with Acute Meyloid Leukemia in Feb 2011 and went through Chemo, radiation, and then a bone marrow/stem cell transplant in May of 2011. Still recovering... slowly. I am completey out of shape now from being in the hospital most of last year. I maintained my weight most of the time until they put me on some meds with a side effect of weight gain... yep I gain ALOT! so now I am trying to get rid of it. Working out is super tough for me as I am in alot of pain still but I am trying to fight through it and make the best of life! If any one has ways to make this journey easier I would love to hear them!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband is a 12 year survivor this October. CML (leukemia) when he was 19 years old and wasn't suppose to live past 2 years. He's still taking chemo pills everyday but we live one day at a time! It's why we started running half and full marathons to remind people you can do anything you put your mind to! Congrats on beating cancer!

My mother has CML (Leukemia). She just found out.