How to cut calories...

Options

Replies

• cuteazz1
    cuteazz1 Posts: 37
    Options
    I make my favorite restaurant meals at home..today Im making Wendys grilled chicken sandwich and garlic fries at home for waaaay less calories and I make Wendys chilli all the time because I luv it ;)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    And getting your child to eat is more important when they are younger than manners. That can come later. I am sure the person that said that was not talking about a teenager!

Her son is 3, a prime age to be taught how to be polite, proper, etc. And people wonder why kids these days are the way they are. Because many parents wait until their children are nearing their teenage years to try to teach them manners.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Make your plate of food and then eat it in front of your child. If they are anything like my 3 year old they will help you eat it. lol

I hope this isn't a recurring act in your household. I can't stand it when children beg their parents for food.

Guess its a good thing you will never be around me or my child.

Ugh. People. I'm not sure how sharing your food with your child constitutes teaching them to "beg." Grasp stick firmly and remove from butt...

^^YES, YES!

"...then eat it in front of your child." sounds like a plan where you are planning on the begging to ensue. maybe it's just me. hmm...I guess you could say the same thing about a dog, no? make your food and sit on the floor and eat it in front of your puppy...they'll help you eat it. how then do you stop that dog from begging every single time someone gets something to eat? answer...you can't. same with your child--they beg guests and others for food because you've taught them that when someone else is eating that it's okay to eat from their plate and yes...BEG! I've seen it and experienced it and it reflects poorly on the parent.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I started using a smaller plate, like a salad plate for all meals. It gets full looking very fast with smaller portions, and you can feel good when you clean your plate!

Have been doing that for over a year now and it works great. Also the best rule is to fill that plate with 1/4 lean meat, 1/4 starchy vegetables or pasta, etc. and 1/2 with veggies like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, squash....
    Fruit twice a day for snacks or dessert. 8 oz of skim milk or equivalent once or twice a day. No way you can't lose weight following this plan.
    Options
    I started using a smaller plate, like a salad plate for all meals. It gets full looking very fast with smaller portions, and you can feel good when you clean your plate!

Have been doing that for over a year now and it works great. Also the best rule is to fill that plate with 1/4 lean meat, 1/4 starchy vegetables or pasta, etc. and 1/2 with veggies like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, squash....
    Fruit twice a day for snacks or dessert. 8 oz of skim milk or equivalent once or twice a day. No way you can't lose weight following this plan.

now that's a great suggestion! way to go--healthy with no adverse impact on your child's social development or manners.
  • Chiquita_Bonita
    Options
    lol! So funny!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Make your plate of food and then eat it in front of your child. If they are anything like my 3 year old they will help you eat it. lol

I hope this isn't a recurring act in your household. I can't stand it when children beg their parents for food.

Guess its a good thing you will never be around me or my child.

Ugh. People. I'm not sure how sharing your food with your child constitutes teaching them to "beg." Grasp stick firmly and remove from butt...

^^YES, YES!

"...then eat it in front of your child." sounds like a plan where you are planning on the begging to ensue. maybe it's just me. hmm...I guess you could say the same thing about a dog, no? make your food and sit on the floor and eat it in front of your puppy...they'll help you eat it. how then do you stop that dog from begging every single time someone gets something to eat? answer...you can't. same with your child--they beg guests and others for food because you've taught them that when someone else is eating that it's okay to eat from their plate and yes...BEG! I've seen it and experienced it and it reflects poorly on the parent.

My 8 y/o used to eat off my plate all the time when she was a toddler, something about mommy's food just seemed more appealing to her, so I would give her bites of mine. Whatever, she was eating (even the veggies!) so that's kinda all that mattered. As she got older she just stopped eating off my plate, there was never a time when I had to start "teaching" her to eat her own food, she just did. Also, she never begged for food-ever. And it doesn't seem to me that the OP's little one is begging either. He sees mommy eating and wants a bite, that's pretty normal for a toddler; they just want to do whatever mommy and daddy are doing! My youngest (will be 3 next week) does the same thing, she just likes to feel like whatever she has is the exact same as whatever mommy and daddy has; she's not begging or doing anything even remotely inappropriate. And I have no doubt that she too, just like my oldest, will not continue this habit forever!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Oh dear I had to smile at the post that thinks 3 is a prime age to teach manners how to be polite ect,for pity sake 3 years old is a baby! there is no set age children absorb as they grow we have very few rules in our house only 2 show respect to yourself and others and tell the truth! we have 5 children I say children and not paragons of virtue or angels neither are they hooligans we broke all the rules they slept in our bed ate exactly what they wished and have a hell of a lot of fun,they are bright happy and well adjusted and screw up at times,oh and my eldest 3 head for the gym with me at 6.30 easch morning,so maybe it went right somewhere,but please give 3 year olds a break!!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Cut out bread a milk from your diet, if you are like me then that will drop 600 calories a day easy.

And adults dont need milk. In fact anyone over about 8 years old doesnt need milk.

ALso use a small plate for dinner. Makes you look like you have a big portion :)

Adults don't need bacon, either, but try taking it from me.

Anything to get a kid to eat, in my book. Drinking from my glass, though, is right out. I can't deal with backwash. :drinker:
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you don't have kids, a dog will work too! LoL.
    This! Hahaha:laugh:
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Drinking from my glass, though, is right out. I can't deal with backwash. :drinker:

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's funny sometimes how people take things so SERIOUSLY! sheesh. I have a 4 year old who, now, makes it a game/joke to grab my glass of water when she is thirsty.

It's not serious, and we both end up laughing about it. I call her a water thief. Yesterday she brought her sippy cup over and exchanged it with my glass of water.

Before I started weighing and measuring everything, she'd sit on my lap and we would share strawberries, grapes, bananas, apples etc. Sometimes Goldfish crackers, cheese sticks (string cheese we'd pull apart and eat) graham crackers with peanut butter. Pretty much any snack we have been known to share. To be terribly honest, teaching her to eat healthy, is FAR more important to me than her learning which fork she should use when she eats salad for heaven's sake. Or knowing a soup spoon from a tea spoon.

Etiquette is not my focus - general manners (don't scream at the table, throw, food, run around the table, behave in a restaurant) sure. But at 3, picking food from mom or dad's plate is not an issue.

Respectfully - chill out :)
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options

LOL When Im bulking up everyone does this, especially woman I work with. Because they know I'll eat anything and everything you put in front of me.
    Options
    It's funny sometimes how people take things so SERIOUSLY! sheesh. I have a 4 year old who, now, makes it a game/joke to grab my glass of water when she is thirsty.

It's not serious, and we both end up laughing about it. I call her a water thief. Yesterday she brought her sippy cup over and exchanged it with my glass of water.

Before I started weighing and measuring everything, she'd sit on my lap and we would share strawberries, grapes, bananas, apples etc. Sometimes Goldfish crackers, cheese sticks (string cheese we'd pull apart and eat) graham crackers with peanut butter. Pretty much any snack we have been known to share. To be terribly honest, teaching her to eat healthy, is FAR more important to me than her learning which fork she should use when she eats salad for heaven's sake. Or knowing a soup spoon from a tea spoon.

Etiquette is not my focus - general manners (don't scream at the table, throw, food, run around the table, behave in a restaurant) sure. But at 3, picking food from mom or dad's plate is not an issue.

I think SHARING your food with your child is a great thing to do--especially healthy food. "Eating in front of your child" because you want to "cut calories" and know they'll ask for your food is something else. To me it's a huge difference, sorry if you feel differently about it.
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    Is this a WEIGHT LOSS FORUM or a parenting one???? I personally dont think anybody here is in any position to judge people for letting their child have food if they ask for it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Oh dear I had to smile at the post that thinks 3 is a prime age to teach manners how to be polite ect,for pity sake 3 years old is a baby! there is no set age children absorb as they grow we have very few rules in our house only 2 show respect to yourself and others and tell the truth! we have 5 children I say children and not paragons of virtue or angels neither are they hooligans we broke all the rules they slept in our bed ate exactly what they wished and have a hell of a lot of fun,they are bright happy and well adjusted and screw up at times,oh and my eldest 3 head for the gym with me at 6.30 easch morning,so maybe it went right somewhere,but please give 3 year olds a break!!!

I'm glad your children came out somewhat normal. But to say that "3 years old is still a BABY" is complete joke. Children are very capable of learning many social skills. I guess taking 3 year olds to preschool is a waste of time since they are still as you put it, "still a baby". Heck, even 2.5 year olds are allowed into preschool.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options

I'm glad your children came out somewhat normal. But to say that "3 years old is still a BABY" is complete joke. Children are very capable of learning many social skills. I guess taking 3 year olds to preschool is a waste of time since they are still as you put it, "still a baby". Heck, even 2.5 year olds are allowed into preschool.

My daughter will be 3 next week, she goes to headstart, speaks very well and clearly, she's incredibly bright and ahead of where she should be at her age. (I can't take credit for that, I did nothing differently with her then any parent does with their child, she's just really smart!)

Having said that... she is very much still a baby. She is still developing and growing and learning something new every day and discovering the world. She answers questions with "yeah" or "uh-huh," not because she doesn't have manners or because I'm such a horrible parent and didn't teach them to her, but because in her very young mind, all that matters is that she is answering the question; the thought of "yes" or "yes ma'am" being the correct way to respond just doesn't register in her little mind yet, she's not there yet. Manners are something acquired over the years of watching/seeing/experiencing the people around you use manners; it's not something you just tell them at the age of 3 and they all of a sudden have them!!! She is not grown by any means, and will not be for quite some time. Yes, she will be 3 next week, and she walks and talks and does everything most 3y/o's do, but she is still a baby.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options

I think SHARING your food with your child is a great thing to do--especially healthy food. "Eating in front of your child" because you want to "cut calories" and know they'll ask for your food is something else. To me it's a huge difference, sorry if you feel differently about it.

dude, chill, the OP was obviously being funny and making light of the fact that no matter what you're eating or when or where or whatever... any normal toddler is going to want to share your food with you. It's not wrong, it's not begging, it's nothing but a toddler being a toddler and wanting a bite off mommy's plate!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that doesn't work for me now; b/c my son is 21 and no longer living at home. Good idea though. :)
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options

I see your point - I guess I just don't think she was being 100% serious about it I've said things too in posts where it was taken way too seriously - maybe I'm seeing the humor in the post - but I don't think the mom seriously does this on a regular basis.