feeling depressed and alone

Options
not sure whats going on with me... starting to feel very depressed and lonely lately.

anyone out there battling these feelings and able to offer some advice?

I hate the idea of taking meds for these feelings, so Id love to hear from folks...

Replies

• del54
    del54 Posts: 8
    Options
    What is going on with your or in your life??
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Has something changed, or it is totally out of the blue that these feelings are present?
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    not sure whats going on with me... starting to feel very depressed and lonely lately.

anyone out there battling these feelings and able to offer some advice?

I hate the idea of taking meds for these feelings, so Id love to hear from folks...

Obviously I don't know all of your situation so I can only suggest things based upon my own life experience.

Surround yourself with good people close to you that you can rely on and make sure you do something regularly with them.

If you're still suffering, then before resorting to drugs you should probably go see a councillor.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    things do not happen without a reason so it means something happened in your life that is causing this mood. It goes away, it is all temporary, just don't dig a deeper hole by focusing on how depressed you are, try to focus on positive things. Did you have a breakup, someone close passed away, you lost your job, you can't meet the right girl?... there are reasons for your sadness but as they say it takes practice to be happy, the feeling of happinness does not come on its own, something causes it, too, and positive thinking helps.
    Working out helps too, more adrenalin and better mood overall. In my personal experience I have these moments too, I know for sure if I keep myself busy it helps, a simple physical activity, cleaning the house, ironing, digging in the garden, going for a walk helps. Try reading a good book or watch a good movie.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered seeing a counselor or psychologist? Could be helpful. It was for me. Hang in there. They say one of the hardest things in life is to ask for help. You have made your first step by speaking out about how you are feeling. That is awesome. Keep going with that! That in itself takes strength.

Some things to try are going for a walk, or doing some quiet stretching. Breathing deep with your eyes closed. Writing down your feelings and frustrations. These are a few things that could help in the mean time.

Hope this is helpful! Sending you strength and healing. :)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Does the feeling have anything to do with not enjoying meals with friends/ family because you don't want to gain weight?
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi, Have your talked with your Doc or with a therapist - feelings of depression do not always need meds in fact talk therapy can work with out meds in mild cases.
    Sometimes the change of season - the decrease in light in the AM and the earlier sunset can start to trigger SAD. This can be helped with a light box and a dawn simulator.
    Has you exercise levels decreased recently - exercise releases feel good hormones - so sometimes a cut back can effect mood.

Have you considered meditation - and yoga - they can have real effects on mood.
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am currently like that because of a lot of stress with school and work. I have fallen off the wagon a bit,I keep on losing and gaining back the little weight and then losing... that it self pisses me off and I feel like I am lonely and nobody is helping me, slowly sinking into something scary..... hold on, whatever you are stressing about will pass! and you are definately NOT by yourself!
  • pseel42
    pseel42 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been where you are for the past 7 months due to being unemplpoyed.I am sorry you are feeling this way.

I don't know what is going on in your life but I am always here if you need/want a friend.

Feel free to add me if you want. I would love to try to help you.

Paula
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I've been the same but seem to be coming out the other side now. I don't really know what triggers these things, with me I think it was just a build up of a whole heap of crappy things happening and my mind had enough of me putting a brave face on and smiling all the time. I surrounded myself with true friends and family, genuine people that care, kept myself busy (even though I really had to force myself to do things I usually love)

If you need to talk, talk to someone you can trust, a friend, family, a stranger, a counsellor, whatever you feel comfortable with. Hope things feel better for you real soon xx
  • purpleblaze
    Options
    everyday matey! its a battle with myself....i dont want to take anything for it either so i have been reading alot of self help positive books to get me through, i highly recommend your sacred self if you can find a copy! try and keep your thoughts positive, like attracts like ( i know its easier said than done) but its soo true...and when your feeling down ask your self what your next thought is going to be? it will bring you back into full conciousness unless your ego (emotional self) answers the question for you :) then your battling with your ego self again :)
  • addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options
    its part of our human condition, and when I start feeling like that, I reach out to my friends too. Good work for being able to recognize what you feel. you are not alone.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I definitely feel like this a lot. And I;m on medication for it. I know that when my diet or exercise routine gets stale or overly routine, changing it up with a class, or going to a different gym, or pool sort of helps. Feels more "social" when I go somewhere new. I also have started forcing myself to talk to strangers. Just a "hi" or a simple comment at the gym. I feel like if I am friendly it may brighten up my mood. Most often it works to cheer me up for a bit.
  • prezes69
    Options
    smile, we are with you!
  • readyfor50
    Options
    without really knowing whats going on its hard to say too much, but I can tell you that excercise has always helped when I feel down and out. Turn on the ipod and just keep pushing. You get a chance to clear your head and talk to yourself if you have to and that also get the overall feeling of good when your done. Obviousy if its more than than you should see someone.
    We are here if you need to talk or vent. I myself have been through depression so I know how badly it can feel, you certainly don't want it to mess with your success as that will only makes things worse. Good luck keep us informed :smile:
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Doni. I am sorry to hear that you're feeling down and alone. I struggle with depression sometimes. One thing that seems to help me out some is keeping a journal. If you've just started to feel this way, I would suggest going to your doctor, It could be a medication that you're taking or the changes in your body. I don't know if that helps any or not, but I am happen to listen any time. I am sending you a friend request.
    Take care and God bless,
    Doni
  • sarahwilloughby07
    Options
    I was told at 14 that I had a chemical imbalance, on & off antidepressants since then and I'm 23 now. There are some days where I'm fine and others were the thought of leaving my bed annoys/scares the crap out of me. I've been having the feeling of loneliness a lot lately courtesy of Facebook and all of my classmates getting married and having kids (the latter I'm wanting very much) but instead I'm stuck living at home with my parents and have been laid off this entire month due to lack of work at the factory. :\
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have to say I have those feelings regularly. But I need to put myself in the forefront and I find that working out definitely helps me feel better about myself mentally and emotionally, and helps me deal with the crap in my day to day life much better. Sometimes it can also help to talk to someone. Meds are not necessarily indicated unless you see someone.

You can feel free to add me if you want :)
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the good psychological advice everyone is offering, I would suggest trying a good Vitamin B Complex like the one from Nature's Sunshine. This is like an instant happy pill for me; within an hour of taking it, I feel more energy, more positive, more outgoing, thus helping me cope with any feelings of loneliness or depression MUCH easier. Over the years, it has completely replaced my need for antidepressants and that feels great! Just wanted to throw the idea out there in the mix of other good stuff!
  • 4theluvofme
    Options
    I am in the same boat, i feel ya. Mine is situational this I know, but it sucks. It is hard to stay motivated. I tend to get depressed pretty easily. I tried meds years ago and they didn't do a damn thing for me personally. Feel free to add me as a friend. I am a great listener I'm told. We all need support. Would be glad to give you some :smile: