Plateau

Options
Hi Team,

I need a hand.. I need someone else's advice..

Started on here just over two months ago. First 7 weeks, I lost a kilo (nearly 2 pounds) a week. This was with exercising 3-4 times a week and eating at my then calorie target of 1780. I would also do a Jillian Michaels Shred or 45 mins of Zumba once or twice a week.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I was starting to enjoy my exercise and wanted to get everything in. So I changed to 3 days of cardio and abs ( 20-25 mins of HIIT and 10 mins of ab work and 3 days of heavy lifting. The heavy lifting is mostly super sets, squats and lunges. I am also doing a shred once a week. My calorie target is now 1650 and I am having no problem in sticking to that. Mostly stay under, apart from Fridays or Saturdays where i usually go out for dinner.

I haven't lost a single gram on the scales since the beginning of August! What is stopping me? My macros have improved slightly (not taking in as much sugar) but could probaby have a little more protein.

Its annoying because I am working 6 days a week, eating less, and not seeing any results! I am definitely fitter and stronger.. But just not seeing any changes on the scales!

I also take photos every two weeks.. I havent seen any huge changes in the last month.. Maybe a little, but nothing compared to the first 7 weeks..

Diary is open and would love constructive feedback!

Thanks
LT

Replies

• juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you want to break your plateau, here are my suggestions:

- no alcohol... have sparkling water with fresh lemon instead.

- try intermittent fasting. I broke my plateau with the daily fast (dinner at 6:30pm - eat nothing, sleep, wake up go to the gym and break fast at 8:30am with breakfast - helps your digestive system clean itself and allows you to appreciate what hunger feels like - just make sure you eat your calories during the 'feeding window')

- you're not eating enough protein. try this split - 30% carbs, 40% protein, 40% fats.

- watch your sugar intake - banana, pear, dark chocolate, mustard, honey, mandarin, Big M, - all these things have added sugar. try to reduce your sugar intake to 20-30g a day. you'll be surprised how it all adds up. i'd replace your saturated fat column with sugar. fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does...

- do not eat carbs after lunch. that means no bananas before bed, no lasagne at dinner, etc.

- sometimes, all your body wants is rest. take two or three days off from heavy exercise, go for a walk, increase your caloric intake (but don't increase your sugar intake), then after you've replenished your stores, cut down on the carbs, keep the protein up and make sure you eat good fats like nuts, avocado and fish oils. in fact, a fish oil supplement might be a good idea too.

good luck - let me know how you go.
    if you have any questions about any of this, feel free to send me a message.
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know this is the answer that no one wants to hear but...give it some time. You are doing all the right things. Mixing up your diet, mixing up your workouts, etc... It's good that you are adding some heavy resistance training. Keep the sugars low and Protein high and make sure the intensity of your workouts match your goal. I feel sure that if you keep up everything that you posted you will bust your plateau and not look back. Good luck!
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Agreed. ... with the two prior posts.

If you are not measuring...start measuring now. I dropped 70 pounds in 18 months and there were some 4 and 5 week periods where I swore the scale was stuck. Luckily my weekly measuring informed me that inches were coming off.

Your excellent exercise program is also building muscle. When I started Insanity last winter, I gained 8 pounds (muscle) in the first 3 weeks, then lost it all back again in all the right places (measurements confirmed).

Keep it up. Sounds like you are going to be super successful!
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, really appreciate it!

Just need some ideas on low sugar snacks that don't include Tuna or nuts.. Don't like the stuff!
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with plateauing myself, though I have only lost weight through diet change alone. I'm just starting to incorporate a regular workout routine to get the ball rolling again. As for healthy snacks, try celery sticks. Bland, I know, but if you MUST have something on them like I do, try a 50/50 blend of peanut butter and tahini (roasted sesame seed paste) or just tahini on its own, though it has a very astringent taste by itself. Another good snack could be found in snack cheese. Babybel brand offers several individual wrapped servings; the wax makes it fun! Pickle spears or gerkins are great if you like them. They have little to no calories depending on the type. Also, if you aren't focused on carb intake, you could try fruit slices or carrot sticks.

Hope that helps!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    There's one other thing I wanted to have you consider....
    I work out six days a week, and I do strength training everyday....One day it's arms, next legs, next abs, break.
    You might actually be gaining muscle :)

If you feel comfortable, you should take your measurements and track those more than the scale (Although I'd like to see a scale drop too!)

For instance...my weightloss is only at six pounds in three weeks...
    BUT I've lost two inches on my chest
    I've gone from a size 24 pant to an 18/20

AND I don't have to buy plus size underwear anymore, hah!
  • Zoggy3333
    Zoggy3333 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question. I, too, have felt this way for the past 3 weeks. I lost 20lbs in 4 mos.... (I know it was slow) but now it seems nothing....

I shall try the advice from you' all .... any one interested in being friends to help encourage and hold accountable I am available to do this.

Good luck to all in your goals