Full time desk job, What to do for exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I am just starting the routine, but so far I LOVE morning workouts. I never thought I would say it!

I have a desk job, and I work from 7am - 5pm in the summer.... right now I get up at 4:45, roll out of bed and to the gym by a little after 5am.... cardio for an hour. I go back at lunch or right after work for strength training. I know that is a lot, but I am pretty committed.

I would start by even going for a 20-30 minute walk in the morning before you go to work.... and maybe another at lunch.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I go to spinning at 0530 and walk during my breaks then after work do supreme 90 and to bed I go...that's MON-Thur....I rest on Friday and start again on saturday with zumba and spinning and sunday I hit supreme 90 hard.

You can do it just make time for yourself! One step at a time, one day at a time!
  • jach200
    jach200 Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that at lunch i walk... Breaks up my day
  • misslegz
    misslegz Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job also and I wake every morning @ 5am and gets strenght training in and then right after work I am off for my hour run.

Walk on your lunch break too....anything is better than nothing!!

Once you get used to your time management it won't seem hard at all!!

12309460.png
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Desk job here. I do bootcamp 4-6 days a week and run.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do mine before or after work, or split it sometimes. I work 4 days a week for 10-hour shifts. So long days are necessary sometimes. You just have to make it a priority.

There are also lots of apps now that will give you a little alarm reminding you to get up and do something (walk, do 10 squats, etc. etc.)
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    On part of your lunch hour. I too work at a desk all day (minus walking to the copy machine or an officer's office which I don't count). I already get up at 5:30 AM so morning exercise isn't for me. I have the good intention to exercise at night and I actually sometimes do. But more often I walk up the parking ramp next to my building on my lunch hourt. I'm not talking about going up the stairs. I actually walk up the ramp and that incline makes a much better workout than just walking.:tongue:

First of all, I just want to congragulate the above poster on their success. WTG!

OP, I also have a desk job 8:30-5. I was working out after work when my family wouldn't beg me not to (lol...for some reason my hubby & kids can't get enough of me). I did this 2-3 times per week AFTER I did homework, made a full blown dinner recipe, & cleaned it all up. Phew!

I just started waking up half hour earlier than kids and i am doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred (I love Jillian!). It is working out phenomenally and I don't see going back! I fit in a run after work at the local track 2-4 times per week for 30-45 min ea. when I can. However, if I only get in 2 that week it's fine because I already did Jillian in the a.m.!!
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I work 8-5 at a desk job were most of the time, I'm doing nothing. After I get off, I pick up my kid and go straight to the gym. They have a kid klub at the gym that she loves. I consider it part of my schedule, my routine and therefore, will almost never miss it. If someone wants to make plans, I let them know I'm not available until after 7 since that's about the time I'm done and finally home. It works for me.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A girl I used to know used one of those huge exercise balls as her office chair...could be an idea. I always work out in the bathroom! I'm the only girl at my job so I get the whole thing to myself. I do lunges from one side to the other and back and jumping jacks and high knees. I do this about every two hours...
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Bring your running shoes & gym outfit and run at lunch! If you're working in a highrise, even better! Do flights of stairs.

I bring baby wipes and towel and clean myself afterwards. I once was caught washing my hair in the bathroom sink. I didn't care, I was getting fit.
  • cybelenoire
    cybelenoire Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk from 8AM to 4:30PM, not to mention I spend 90 minutes a day in my car commuting.

I try to get up at 5AM (some days it's easier than others) and do a 20 minute yoga session. On mornings (two or three times a month) when I have to go in an hour earlier, I do the yoga session the night before.

I park 2 blocks away in a parking lot as opposed to the parking tower right next door, so I get 10 minutes of walking round trip between car and office. When the lot is closed, and I have to park in the tower, I walk down the ramps instead of using the stairs or the elevators and never park lower than the 4th level.

I have to go down two floors at least twice a day so I walk to the far end of the hallway, instead of the closer elevator. The stairs are only for emergency use or else I would use them.

I do some easy yoga stretches in the office, particularly the frog squat--sitting shortens the psoas and tightens hip flexors so this opens the hips somewhat. I've done warriors and downward dogs when no one is around. Even a couple of planks.

I work out in the afternoon (5PM-6PM) because I'm usually pretty stressed out and this helps to relieve that. Whether it's the gym, dance practice, or a long yoga session.
  • hunneric
    hunneric Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you work too far from home to bike to work? That used to save my bacon before I started working from home (which has its own pitfalls). Initially I worked about 25 miles from home and I'd often get the train out and then ride back. It would take an hour and a half but it was a lot quicker than commute plus workout.

Or, have you tried running home in the evenings? If it's too far, can you get public transport part of the way.

There's not so many places that it's too hot/steep/snowbound to cycle at least part of the year.