The Dreaded "Plateau"

Options
I have a question that I'm hoping that y'all can help me with. I don't have any friends that have lost lots of weight, and I've read about it online all over the place. Has anyone hit the weight loss plateau? You know, that point where you've lost all this weight, and then it just suddenly comes to a halt?

I lost 65 pounds, and I won't say it was "easy", but the scale at least MOVED every week. I've lost all the weight the healthy way, i.e. diet and exercising. Anyone have any tips? I'm losing my mind when the scale doesn't move like it used to! What do I need to change?

Any tips/comments/advice is appreciated :)

Replies

• norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    More info is needed. what exercises do you do now? What is your current weight? I too am struggling with a plateau.
  • scgbball
    scgbball Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you're going to hit plateaus. I hit one recently myself. Just keep doing what you're doing - diet and exercise. I try to change up my workouts often so my body doesn't get used to the same ole stuff so maybe you could try that? Just don't give up, the weight WILL come off, you just need a jumpstart. Go on a hike, start training for a 5k, incorporate swimming laps to your workout. Whatever floats your boat :-)
  • depurs20
    depurs20 Posts: 29
    Options
    Whenever I hit a plateau, I switch something up. Either I cut out carbs for a week or two, change the type of exercise I'm doing or sometimes eating too many calories for a couple of days can throw off your body just enough to overcome it. Good luck!
  • crazy202
    crazy202 Posts: 19
    Options
    More info is needed. what exercises do you do now? What is your current weight? I too am struggling with a plateau.

Well, my current weight is 197. I go to the gym 3-4 times per week and do at least 75 minutes of intense cardio i.e. the elliptical, stair-master, and treadmill along with some minor weight lifting to tone.

I stick to the calories that MFP allows me. I think I'll try to change up my routine at the gym a little bit and cut some stuff from my diet.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    #1 change it up. Change how many cals you eat, lower or higher to "confuse" or "trick" your body into losing. Also changing up your workouts, you know, if you swim all the time, then start jogging, or boxing. Or if you want you can just try amping up your workouts.

#2 watch your macros. Your carbs, fat, ect...ect... keep a close eye on sodium as well. Make sure you don't go over on a daily basis.

#3 Just keep plugging away until you body has no choice but to start losing again! Though it may take months for some people.

I for one. Will go with #1..... however.... this is just theories that I have been told to work. I have not reached a plateau yet, though admittedly I change it up every few weeks because I get bored easily anyway.
  • crazy202
    Options
    Unfortunately you're going to hit plateaus. I hit one recently myself. Just keep doing what you're doing - diet and exercise. I try to change up my workouts often so my body doesn't get used to the same ole stuff so maybe you could try that? Just don't give up, the weight WILL come off, you just need a jumpstart. Go on a hike, start training for a 5k, incorporate swimming laps to your workout. Whatever floats your boat :-)

Thanks! I hate plateaus! I'm a "I want it done now!" type person, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's not going to work like that with weight loss. I'm definitely going to keep it up - I skipped the gym for one week once and felt like CRAP! Never gonna do that again! I'll try to switch it up and see where that gets me :)
  • crazy202
    Options
    Whenever I hit a plateau, I switch something up. Either I cut out carbs for a week or two, change the type of exercise I'm doing or sometimes eating too many calories for a couple of days can throw off your body just enough to overcome it. Good luck!

Thanks! Definitely going to try this!
  • crazy202
    Options
    #1 change it up. Change how many cals you eat, lower or higher to "confuse" or "trick" your body into losing. Also changing up your workouts, you know, if you swim all the time, then start jogging, or boxing. Or if you want you can just try amping up your workouts.

#2 watch your macros. Your carbs, fat, ect...ect... keep a close eye on sodium as well. Make sure you don't go over on a daily basis.

#3 Just keep plugging away until you body has no choice but to start losing again! Though it may take months for some people.

I for one. Will go with #1..... however.... this is just theories that I have been told to work. I have not reached a plateau yet, though admittedly I change it up every few weeks because I get bored easily anyway.

So, I guess the verdict is in: gonna change it up! Thanks for all your advice!
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I plateaued for two months! I was going up and down on the scales and it was getting me down so much.
    My calories were no different from when I was losing, just something wasn't working with the losing pounds thing...
    I got so disheartened that I dropped to eating about 900 cals a day, I only did it for a week but It seemed to work and something shifted again. I lost 4lb that week and have been back upto 1200 this week and lost another 1lb this week.
    I am not recommending it, it is just my story

:)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of threads on this. Do a search on the boards for it. You'll get a lot of info. I wish I could offer some suggestions but I'm in the same boat. I lost 66 pounds in the past year but have been gaining and losing the same 6 pounds for the past 3 months. However, I've gone down a size the past week or so and I've started the C25K. Tomorrow begins week 4 for me. I'm working harder now than I had been at any given point throughout the year. And I feel great. I love challenging myself. I can say with certainty, it's not only about weight loss. It's about the journey, not the destination. Just stay the course. The plateau will eventually break.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would up your weights and decrease your cardio a little. I know that if I neglect my weight work, I won't lose. Muscle burns more than fat, so it increases your metabolism.

Well done on your weight loss so far - those are fantastic numbers!