Crockpot/Slow Cooker recommendations?

126siany
126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
I've been thinking about purchasing a crockpot/slow cooker, but I have no idea what I should be looking for.

What features do you think are important? Any brands or models that you would specifically recommend?

Thanks!

Replies

• lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Rival...Slow Cooker all the way!!!
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    I use a Rival....and love it
  • The ones that automatically "warm" food, or turn off are great. Get a decent sized one, too, so you can have leftovers. I also love to cook a whole chicken in there (SO EASY), so make sure it can fit a chicken for your whole family. (I live alone, so I can get the smallest bird and not have a problem)

Also, one of my favorite websites for crockpot recipes: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/01/2008-flashback-entire-year-in-order.html
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    I prefer the kind that has an insert that you can take out. It's so much easier to wash when you're not fighting the entire machine and trying not to get the electrical parts wet.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Mine is a Rival. Love it. It has the insert for easy cleaning and multiple time settings.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,134 Member
    They are all pretty simple, definitely get one with a removable insert. I have a Rival Smart-Pot.. I really like it! I love the convenience of having dinner cook all day and be ready when I'm finished working!
  • Marze513
    Marze513 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a Rival 6qt programmable cxrock. I love it! I've made some awesome soups and stews in it. Tonight I made a vegetarian chili!! I've also got my eyes on some awesome desserts and breakfast foods, but I need to convert the ingredients to something more...healthy?!
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Yep, I agree with the posters above - I'd go with Rival (great customer service any time I've needed it), and make sure you can pull the "crock" out of the heating element for easy cleanup. Also, depends on how many you're cooking for, we have TWO crockpots.... a smaller 4 quart, and a bigger one that's hmm 7 quart or something? Love making batches of stuff - soups, chili, phenomenal spaghetti sauce.... then freezing the rest in the sizes we'll use to eat later. Good luck, and hope you enjoy it!!!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Thanks! I'm generally cooking for one. I'm not much of a cook at all and it seems as though a slow cooker would give me a lot more variety of food while working within my very tiny skill set. :laugh:

I'm happy for all the recommendations and suggestions that anyone can offer, so keep 'em coming!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    I use Bravetti... the most important features I think are the OFF, LOW, HIGH settings and size of slowcooker. That's all mine has, all I need and it works perfectly.
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    bump for 365 days of crockpot recipes :)
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    I got a $10 one at the local Dollar Store. It works really well. All it has is for settings is OFF, LOW, HIGH and WARM (the warm isn't automatic). I think brand is less important than size. I agree to get one that can fit a chicken in it. And even though you are cooking for one, a bigger crock pot is awesome. You can make food and then portion and freeze - lunch for a week! Search for crock pot recipes on here, there are a ton of threads in the recipe section for easy, healthy meals.

I love my Crock Pot - it has definitely given me a really good way to make food without having to heat up my whole house, and also it is so much easier. Set in the morning as I leave for work, and the food is ready when you get home!
  • bump