Kale

Options
I heard it is good for you, and you can juice it. What can you do with it, and how does it taste each way?
Thx
K

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    When I buy kale it is usually to make kale chips (I just googled a recipe and took the first one I found). They are a great substitute for regular chips for when I want something salty and crunchy.
  • alanaaaoh
    Options
    http://www.pillars-of-light.com/learning/49-amazing-kale-a-its-health-benefits

Kale is absolutely amazing, by all means add it to your smoothies. It is the most nutrient abundant green on offer. Do not cook kale, nutrient value diminishes greatly. My mother cured her cancer on green foods, kale was an enormous part of her diet.

Do it!

Good luck x
  • alanaaaoh
    Options
    Put it through your salads, wraps, smoothies!

Treat is like lettuce if you may

X
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies to provide fiber and nutrients. It has a strong flavor so I need fruit to mask/balance it.
  • jjmcahill
    jjmcahill Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I see another post says not to cook it because it cuts down its nutritional value and I'm sure that's probably true...but I cook it like I cook greens and they are sooo good!!!
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    We eat it as a side dish cooked with seasoning in it =)
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i make a kale pizza. a low carb tortilla with sauce and cheese and then pile the kale on top and put it in the oven for a few minutes to warm it up. so good!
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I tried blending it and it didn't blend it was all chunky!!! any suggestions?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I mix it smoothies, I cant seem to be be able to eat it any other way, the texture seems a bit rough to me
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've just started using kale myself and thus far I've only used it in soups, like spinach, and I love it! I have some in my refrigerator now to try in a green smoothie but I'm hesitant. I just started making green smoothies (with spinach) and I'm adoring them! But the kale seems to be "coarser" than spinach so I'm just not sure.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I add kale to my salads and the chips...
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I freeze it, and mix it 1st in my Magic Bullet with a little liquid before adding anything else
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Every day, I make a smoothie out of baby kales, spinach, blueberries, and vanilla whey powder. It is delicious and so good for me!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    ditto the kale chips! Very tasty! My kids and hubby like them too!
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options

In my experience, having a Vitamix made all the difference! My kale smoothies come out smooth and delicious.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

In my experience, having a Vitamix made all the difference! My kale smoothies come out smooth and delicious.

Yep. The VitaMix is the only blender I'll ever use. They're amazing, and definitely worth the price!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I usually bake them into chips with olive oil and sea salt. Yummy.
  • saamantha
    Options

I freeze it, and mix it 1st in my Magic Bullet with a little liquid before adding anything else

Yup!! I second this! Freezing it works best for me.
  • Joannawright
    Options
    Any suggestions on the "Kale Chips"...i tried making them, but they came out more limp than crunchy, so i tried another batch and cooked longer, but those came out kind of burnt tasting. So any ideas? Thanks joanna
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have kale in a smoothie every day with green tea, an apple, baby carrots and two teaspoons of honey. My Nutribullet mixes it all into a smooth, but thick consistency. It has a thick consistency because of the fiber. But the taste is very mild, in my opinion. I'm wondering if maybe some people are having trouble blending it because they are putting the thick center rib in the blender. I don't use that part.