OK, so when did I get FAT??!!

Options
No seriously, have no idea how this happened. it couldn't have been the pizzas, gravy biscuits, double cheese burgers etc we are constantly eating at work! And lets not forget all the thai food (my personal fav). Surely not.

I have been in complete denial about my weight for the last year. Being obese was not something that would ever happen to ME. But according to my BMI that's exactly what I am. Who would have thought. In my teen years I had trouble topping 120 lbs. Such is not the case now that I'm in my 30's with a teenage daughter and full time job. I've struggled with needing to loose 10 to 20 lbs ever since she was born, BUT, this last year I spiraled out of control. First I quit smoking May of 2011 (yay for me) but tha'ts when my problems started. Smoking was my best friend and all time favorite past time, giving it up surprisingly threw me into a yucky depression. Then my grandmother died, she was my only family. Things got worse, my dog died on Christmas day, among some other serious personal issues, and I basically was in a comatose state of serious depression by March, which is SO out of character for me. I've always been the one in control, taking care of 10 things at one time, holding things together in the face of chaos while everyone else would flip out.

So here I am today, I have an awesome daughter who just started high school, honors classes, ROTC the whole nine yards. She is as strong as I USED to be, just like I raised her. I cant be a hypocrite and expect all the things from her while I don't follow suite. So here I am, No more excuses or feeling sorry for myself. Lets get it done.

I joined MFP because I always relied on friends to help encourage, diet with me, work out with me. But more and more I realize my friends do not stay motivated and give up in 2 weeks, and that's not a positive for me when I need support. I need a constant source of positive encouragement from an avenue that wont disappear. So here I am.

Replies

• nancyakeane
    Options
    Hi...This is my first time on here. I was reading some of the posts and your's caught my eye. I recently said the same thing. It's like you don't realize how fat you are til you see a picture or a glimpse in a store window. UUUGH! Makes me so mad. I had a mid life crisis when I tuned 40, 4 yrs ago. lol Cut my hair died it blonde and went on a weightloss rampage. I lost 25 lbs and was at my goal weight for 2 yrs.....then it just crept back on and I'm So disapointed in myself!!!! I worked so hard for that and now I need to lose 40 lbs. I love food!!!! :) I teach a cardio kickboxing class and ride my bike and help with my daughters dance classes...I just need to get my eating in check. It's so hard, but I think with this site and support from others...We CAN DO IT!!!! Hope to chat with you soon.:
  • AudreyinNC
    Options
    Exactly, I have no problem being active, but food (and myself) are my worst enemies. I have to agree, photos are the best eye opener!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can pinpoint the moment I got fat. It's somewhere between "open mouth and insert food" LOL And I'm now losing weight by traveling between "open mouth and insert healthier food in moderation." :tongue:
  • wheels5894
    wheels5894 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    the fact is that we gain weight so slowly we hardly notice. I heard somewhere that people put on 1lb a year which is so slow no one notices but after 20 years it has become obvious. there is only so many times we can eat more than our bodies use up and what with cars and heating systems we don't burn anything like we might have done as children or adults in the 40s and 50s.

These days we need better cooking skills to keep the calories off - oh and to watch what we eat of course.
  • itsrebec
    itsrebec Posts: 38
    Options
    For me, it was always, "when HAVEN'T I been fat?" I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I am only 16.5 pounds from goal, but when I look in the mirror, I still see a very, very fat person. My mother was just visiting and she said I was concerning her because I was too focused on weight.

16.5 pounds will make me the HEAVIEST I can be while still having a healthy BMI. I hate having to watch what I eat constantly but the truth is that the minute I go off, I gain (I lost 30 pounds last year, over six months. In the five months that followed, I gained 18 of them back!)

I wish I loved exercising, but I don't. I force myself to walk five miles six days a week. I find the support I get from others here is the only thing that helps me stay motivated.