Flaxseed in everything

Options
I just wanted to say that I really have found that adding flaxseed to everything from my cottage cheese to my cereal, salads, soups ect has really helped me to get my fiber in and stay satified, not to mention how it keeps me regular (sorry, but its the truth:wink: ).
I started out slow at 1 tsp. per day and now eat upto 3 tbs. per day.
My kids also get their dose cause I add it to everthing.

also, helps to fight protect against certian cancers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    good for you, it's great stuff. You may want to check out the calories and fat content for your tracking.

I'm a fan of flaxseed.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Good call on starting out slow... my dad learned the hard way that NOT starting slow can have serious (and embarrassing) ramifications :noway: :blushing: :ohwell: :grumble:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it's ground flaxseed, cause our bodies can't process the good nutrients out of the whole seeds. Then, as much as we may get the "internal scrub brush effect" all the other benefits are lost!

I put it in my morning oatmeal! yum yum
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Do you use whole or ground seeds? I bought some whole seeds and was just wondering if it works just the same as the ground
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just make sure it's ground flaxseed, cause our bodies can't process the good nutrients out of the whole seeds. Then, as much as we may get the "internal scrub brush effect" all the other benefits are lost!

I put it in my morning oatmeal! yum yum

Hehe you just answered my question... I guess I'll have to run them through my coffee grinder
  • coachkathy
    coachkathy Posts: 35
    Options
    i keep mine in the frig & add it to my cereal; pancake & waffle mix for my kids or anything else I'm baking; yogurt, etc.
  • abusafia
    abusafia Posts: 8
    Options
    well if flax can make me do this backbend as you do i think i will up me serving:happy:
  • AshBear
    AshBear Posts: 63
    Options
    I keep mine in the fridge and use a mini coffee grinder right before I add it to anything....I've learned that eating the seeds whole doesn't give your body the nutritional benefit because our bodies can't digest the outer shell. Hope this helps!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Where do you get it?
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    The grocery store. Usually the health food aisle. Or if it's a small store the might carry Bob's Red Mill brands of flours, flax..... then it would be in the flour/baking aisle.

I love adding flax. No one ever knows it's there! and you can take out some of the fat/oil.
    For every 3TBL of flax seed meal you can take out 1 TBL of oil. Don't eliminate all of the oil. When I make banana bread I take out a couple of TBLS. I also use all whole wheat flour in banana bread. Everyone loves it. Even those people who say they don't like wheat flour.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The grocery store. Usually the health food aisle. Or if it's a small store the might carry Bob's Red Mill brands of flours, flax..... then it would be in the flour/baking aisle.

I love adding flax. No one ever knows it's there! and you can take out some of the fat/oil.
    For every 3TBL of flax seed meal you can take out 1 TBL of oil. Don't eliminate all of the oil. When I make banana bread I take out a couple of TBLS. I also use all whole wheat flour in banana bread. Everyone loves it. Even those people who say they don't like wheat flour.

I didn't know that about reducing the oil...I will give that a try in some of my baking! Thanks
  • jclyndiv
    jclyndiv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work at a Nutritionals company and we have a website where we sell flaxseed... www.flaxmatters.com... we have all types of flax and the ground flax lasts for two years and you don't have to refrigerate it... It really is a wonder seed!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use chia seed. Same benefits as flax, plus.... It never goes rancid stores a good 3 years or more. When made into a gel it can be substituted for oil in recipes and is also 4time as bio- available. It helps keep the body hydrated when consumed with enough water. Great stuff..... I usually buy mine on line. My friends that started using it who were having issues with liver function are now all in the normal range with there #'s. Their doctor is very impressed to say the least.
  • jclyndiv
    Options
    Chia is great for Omega-3 but you don't get all the other benefits that flax offers... fiber, protein, antioxidants etc.
  • jclyndiv
    Options
    Do you know that you can also replace eggs when baking with flax?

1 tablespoon of flax and 2-3tablespoons of water replaces one egg!!!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Chia is great for Omega-3 but you don't get all the other benefits that flax offers... fiber, protein, antioxidants etc.

just for the record 4 teaspoons of chia has 6.9 grams of fiber, and 4.3 grams of protein along with the antioxidants and omega 3's.

I have nothing against flax; I use it too. Chia is however more neutral in flavor and for some uses, especially as an extender or oil replacement, I prefer it. Both are quite good for you of course. :bigsmile:
  • jclyndiv
    Options
    Agreed...

-Chia is a significant source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. It is also rich in fiber (over 5% soluble fiber, 25g of chia give around 7g of fiber), protein (over 20%), amino acids, and a range of nutrients, vitamins and minerals including Calcium, B vitamins, zinc, potassium and copper.
    -60% of chia seed oil is alpha linolenic acid (ALA)
    -Chia seeds do not need to be ground to make their nutrients available to the body

Nutrient Flax Seed Chia Seed
    www.flaxmatters.com
    Protein 20.0 15.7
    Fiber 27.3 37.0
    Carbohydrates 29.0 44.0
    Sugars 1.5 ~
    Total Fat 41.0 30.7
    Saturated Fat 3.5 3.2
    Mono-unsaturated fat 7.5 2.1
    Poly-unsaturated fat 29.0 23.2
    Total Omega-3 fatty acids 20 17.5
    Glycemic Load 0 1
    Inflammation Factor 823 77
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    is flaxseed the same as linseed?
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Where do you get it?

I don't know where you live (I live in the chicago suburbs), but I go to the local markets (not big chains, mostly spanish and polish grocery) and get it in the bulk food aisle...I buy the whole flax seed and grind it, but it only costs me $1.47 for A TON.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    is flaxseed the same as linseed?

Yes. In the US we call it flax an in most other parts of the world it's linseed.