How to save a life?

Options
So I have an acquaintance who is morbidly obese. She is short, and probably weighs 500 pounds (guessing). She says her back hurts when she walks, and she is always huffing and puffing. She is otherwise quite cheerful and happy. She never talks about what she eats or exercise or anything about getting in shape. If you were me, would you tell her about MFP? If so, how would I bring that up without insulting her?

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    You say she's an acquaintance not a friend? And she's never spoken of it? I'd leave it alone, honestly. Bring it up in conversation, if that happens.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Talk about yourself and how MFP has been working for you!

"So i just started using MFP - it is this great website to track your food and exercise. It also has a forum which I found to be helpful...etc...etc".

If she bites - help her set up an account and profile - if not, then drop it. We can only save ourselves, unfortunately as hard as this is....you can not force anyone to do anything they do not want to do.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

"So i just started using MFP - it is this great website to track your food and exercise. It also has a forum which I found to be helpful...etc...etc".

If she bites - help her set up an account and profile - if not, then drop it. We can only save ourselves, unfortunately as hard as this is....you can not force anyone to do anything they do not want to do.

This is a good idea. Just make sure to not make it sound in any way that you're really focusing on her needing it. She's an acquaintance, and knows she needs to lose weight.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

yeah I agree, can't help someone unless they want to change. Maybe mention it to her and even months down the road, she'll seem interested and try it out. Never know. Also, you mentioning it to her might be wake up call, or even her just knowing someone cares enough to help her.
  • nicheven
    nicheven Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What i've done in the past is use the app in front of someone till they are like...whats that? then tell them about MFP. Makes it seem innocent and not confrontational at all, and then as said, if she bites help her get set up!
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that it is something you may not be able to bring up just out of the blue. When you say she complains about her back aching, well, if she is complaining to you, that may be an opening for a further conversation. Show real concern for her aches and pains. If you are with her when she is huffing and puffing, ask her if she is okay and let her know you are sincerely concerned for her. It's good of you to be concerned. If you can show her that concern, maybe it will help her to open up to you.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she knows she has a problem and what that problem is and how to fix it. I'd let it be.

Sure do as the others said, mebbe use your app to log something, see if she bites but most folks don't appreciate advice. I hated it when people nagged me about it. She has to want it for herself.

If you are friends/acquaintances , she would see how you're changing by being on MFP and perhaps ask what you're doing.
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've just told friends how much fun it is, and how it really helps me! But other than that, it really has to come from her! Start inviting her for walks and stuff? I love grabbing coffee and walking around with a friend chatting!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just start talking about the site, but not in reference to her. Just tell her how much it has helped you, how much you enjoy using it, how useful you find it to be with keeping track of your food, how much you enjoy the support you find here. If she is interested, she will ask you questions. If she doesn't take interest, then just let it go. She will have to find her own way.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Wait till it comes up. She knows she needs help.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think using it in front of her is brilliant!!
    People don't change unless they want to, I tried to encourage 2 coworkers about this Site who complained about not losing weight, they set up profiles and never use them...their loss.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you've enjoyed a particular friend on MFP or a particular poster, begin the conversation with that, and if it feels natural, go on to the food and exercise diary. I hope your friend takes an interest!
  • danettehinkler
    Options
    I was at 260 and looking so unhealty and people noticed. When I would say something about how I was feeling that day (back hurts, no energy, tierd all the time, dizzy) little by little they would say things about my health like...
    "your high blood pressure is something you should get checked by a Dr. soon it could be serious"
    "eating healthy will help you with your energy level and help with your high blood pressure"
    "would you like to join the walk for altzimers with us it for a good cause"
    "I have had some health issues myself and I have been using this great website called MFP, It helps you keep track of your daily intake of calories"

How ever you choose to do it, just ease into it. There is no full proof way to handle it. I think that the simple fact that someone cared about me ranther than make fun of me, is all it really took to make me feel at ease about loosing wight.
    It took me 3.5months and I am down 36lbs so far and still going strong.