I know lots of folks can't afford protein powder but..

Options
2»

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I want a puppy:sad: What a cutie!! Ok, you're cute too, LOL!! denise
    Bump for later
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I just bought Gold Standard Whey Protein. Just checked some reviews and heard good things about it. It was about 25 dollars for 2 pounds at GNC. Hopefully, it is a good one.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy the protein in bulk
  • cakewar
    cakewar Posts: 11
    Options
    The protein powder I use tastes great and I don't have any of the problems mentioned in this post (indigestion, gas). It's fairly expensive compared to other brands but still cheaper per protein gram than any of the whole food sources of non-fat protein in my diet, such as egg whites or cottage cheese.

I don't think the cost alone should deter anyone from drinking protein shakes because I can have a complete meal of a protein shake and a plate of green market vegetables for under $2.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I use AMP Amplified wheybolic extreme 60. It is my favorite and low on carbs. It mixes well and tastes ok. It's 64, but GNC has them buy one and get one half off a lot!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    ..I found one on sale today and if you have a Grocery Outlet or any type of grocery store that sells a lot of product that is either expired or near expiration, you might want to check yours out. I got a 2 lb jug of Advanced Formula Body Fortress which just happened to be recommended to me by my friend John/EPICSRT. Although I didn't know he recommended it til I got home from grocery shopping, :laugh: and saw his post:drinker: :drinker:

Anyway, it was on sale for 14.99 if anyone is interested:) denise
    PS I think Winco is a grocery outlet store?? I could be wrong;) Oh, and mine was from Grocery Outlet and expiration was 7/31/14 ;)

Good deal. I normally purchase my protein from Costco, which had a 6lbs. bag for $45, but now it's $49 :-(
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I buy Nu Tek Pro 5 or VitaSport Pro7ein. No after taste like all the other ones I tried. Some didn't have an aftertaste until months later, but I've been using these two for over a year now.
  • granni87
    granni87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Where do you purchase bulk protein powder without added things.. I would like to try that !! I use powdered egg whites for alot of our smoothies etc now and they work quite well but not cheap for sure :ohwell:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I put mine in something but you can get enough protein if you search the protein rich foods as well. Protein drinks are nice for on the go, or, being too tired to cook etc.
    ..I found one on sale today and if you have a Grocery Outlet or any type of grocery store that sells a lot of product that is either expired or near expiration, you might want to check yours out. I got a 2 lb jug of Advanced Formula Body Fortress which just happened to be recommended to me by my friend John/EPICSRT. Although I didn't know he recommended it til I got home from grocery shopping, :laugh: and saw his post:drinker: :drinker:

PS I think Winco is a grocery outlet store?? I could be wrong;) Oh, and mine was from Grocery Outlet and expiration was 7/31/14 ;)
    Not only can I not afford it, I don't like it! It's a real shame because that's everyone's solution for how to get more protein. But it tastes like chalk powder! Ick.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Any grocery store that has bulk or nutrition section should have it. denise
    Where do you purchase bulk protein powder without added things.. I would like to try that !! I use powdered egg whites for alot of our smoothies etc now and they work quite well but not cheap for sure :ohwell:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I don't know what all you are getting with that 45 dollars but yeah, for me and my budget, the 20 or the marked down to 14.99 works way better;) denise

Good deal. I normally purchase my protein from Costco, which had a 6lbs. bag for $45, but now it's $49 :-(
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Good information. For me, it's going to be what I can afford plus I've had no ill effects from the Body Fortress. I do know Creatine can do all that to a person though. I think it's more for men to use then women, just my take on it.

denise
    That's a really low quality protein. Get ready for some indigestion and protein farts. It's really 154 calories for a scoop, not 140.

You probably also don't like water retention or being bloated right? You'll probably notice some water retention as well and that's because it has creatine monohydrate in it.

There's much better proteins out there. It's really not in your best interest to go by price... you get what you pay for with nutrition products. You can get some veggies that have been sprayed with pesticides and chemicals that are genetically modified so they grow bigger, faster so farmers get a higher profit for say $1, or you can get organic chemical and pesticide free non-gmo veggies for $2.
    ...yeah the $2 organic veggies are more expensive but which veggie choice is going to be healthier for you?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I buy the Nutiva brand hemp protein powder. It's always under $15, which lasts me about 2-3 weeks.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I like GNC Gold Standard. It comes out to $.74 per shake. Not bad when you do the math.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the cheap stuff like the Body Fortress and American Pure Whey. It's cheap for a reason.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE&toomany=true#gid=0

As you can see, for example the Body Fortress only contains roughly half the protein it claims to. Some are even less (way less in some cases).