Cycling Calories?

Options
I'm not posting this because this is something I want to do normally, but I just got back from a weekend of events and parties and went waaaay over my calorie goal. I don't know the exact calories, but I know it was way over. I still want to see a loss when I weigh in on friday. What is everyone's opinion on "cycling" calories ( I hope I am using the term correctly). Say on Saturday I went over by 600 calories and today I went over by 1,000 (just throwing those numbers out there because they are easy), could I eat less than my target to "even out" those calories without slowing my metabolism down??

*Edit* I know that I need to boost my workouts as well, but the odds of me burning off everything I overate are not likely :) I will be adding more workouts! :)

Replies

• CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    And here I thought this was a "cycling" post... As far as calories go I think you can get away with that kiind of thinking if you do the extreme work out ahead of the calorie intake not after although this has been a point of discussion back at the gym. Personally, if I go on an extreme ride and burn 10,000 calories I find that I tend to lose weight even while eating more than normal for a full week but I do not think you can kill the calories nearly as easily by doing some work outs after the intake nearly as well. if you are taking in a significant amount more than your goal and not putting in that kind of extreme work out.
  • klsdwn
    klsdwn Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks for replying even though you thought it was about actual cycling. Sorry, I should have been more clear! Just curious. Thanks!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • granni87
    granni87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My guess would be if you need to keep your calories at 2000/ day that would be 14000week so if you had 2200 on day and 1800 the next day it should balance out Your body continues to gain weigh all week so it sounds reasonable that it would lose weight that way also. There was a group on this site probably a year ago that discussed the options of switching around your daily calories so that you don't plateau and your body thinks you are eating feasts at times
  • granni87
    granni87 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    the topic of the discussion was calorie cycling. lol so you were pretty close. go to community search and type in calorie cycling there are many discussions relating to your question Good luck !!
  • hmbrandon
    hmbrandon Posts: 114
    Options
    I do calorie cycling quite often. It works for me, and I can have a bad weekend, and believe me, I have had a few on this journey, and still see a loss the next Saturday at my weigh-in when I cycle. Good luck!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    As a nutrition major studying for her RDA, calories day by day are not the important part to measure, but the overall caloric intake over a period of time. Say you eat over you BMR one day and are under the next, it really doesn't matter. If you are consistently over you will gain weight. Consistently way under you will lose for a while, but will eventually plateau due to metabolic starvation. Weight loss is achieved when, consistently, you are under your calories necessary for maintenance. The body's metabolism functions at its peak when small amounts of food are ingested in small amounts throughout the day. Avoiding large meals and caloric overloads are extremely damaging to the body.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you won't see a loss this week but will stay the same. That being said- try working out in the morning before eating as studies show you burn up to 67% more fat that way....... BUT be cautious about it. Do a slow burn- really keeping an eye on our HR!!! while using your quads however you get 'em moving ;)
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I have a high day or two, I'll follow it up with one or two low days. Mostly because I'm not as hungry after I eat really high. But, it does help balance things out, and I'll usually have a loss along with it. :happy: Today I had over 2200 calories, so tomorrow I'll probably be pretty low; maybe around the 800-900 range, and it'll be low carb - under 50g. It really all comes down to *weekly* calories rather than what you're having day to day. So cycling calories and carbs really helps me.
  • klsdwn
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I won't be making this a habit, but I want to do my best to have a good week for the rest of this week! :)
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As a nutrition major studying for her RDA, calories day by day are not the important part to measure, but the overall caloric intake over a period of time. Say you eat over you BMR one day and are under the next, it really doesn't matter. If you are consistently over you will gain weight. Consistently way under you will lose for a while, but will eventually plateau due to metabolic starvation. Weight loss is achieved when, consistently, you are under your calories necessary for maintenance. The body's metabolism functions at its peak when small amounts of food are ingested in small amounts throughout the day. Avoiding large meals and caloric overloads are extremely damaging to the body.

Does the body not get use to this as well? I am a little concerned at my calorie intake at 1200. I lost 11 lbs the first month and gained 2 when I started working out. Prior to that I was eating healthy, not tracking food but exercising FAITHFULLY and not a pound came off. I was so frustrated!!!!! I went to The Metabolic Research Center and she said, "I'm sure you have Hoshimoto's Disease? I didn't know....just knew I had hypothyroid. Anyway, she put me on metformin and it seems like that is helping lose weight although I don't know how it works.
  • maaron2445
    Options
    smile: I would agree whole-heartedly with the reply you received from the 10000 cal gentleman. My wife and I went out last night and I ate a little more than I normally do -but did take a big doggie bag home with me. I workout 6 days a week to try and stay as as fit as I can for a young 67. Doubt tell anyone I said this, but if you had a great time and get back to your normal schedule, you will suceed I'm sure of reaching your goals. The fact that you are concerned about your HEALTH not just a great figure will get you were you want to go. I quit WW and found this diet because I think it suits me better-WW may say I'm not losing weight, but my dress pants were like a sail when I tried them on last night. Keep up the good fight and maintain your humor-sounds like your doing great!
  • klsdwn
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wish they had a calorie chart like on the fitness tab where it shows you where you are both daily and weekly in meeting your minutes/calorie burn goals. I was just thinking about this today and looking to see if there was a place that showed how your calories were balancing out for the week because I was slightly over today (unusual so no biggie) but a little under the last couple of days so I was thinking it probably all balances out but I couldn't find anywhere that shows that info -- not even under reports. The food diary shows only the current day's totals, not weekly so that's no help. Maybe I am missing something somewhere but that weekly chart would be really helpful!!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling is an accepted way to reduce fat while gaining muscle for professional body builders. It is sometimes called zig-zag dieting where you eat your normal recommended calories for a day or two (net calories here on MFP) then eat under your net by about 500 calories for a day or two then eat over your net for one day. Repeat until you reach your maintenance goals.

Calorie Cycling in a nut shell:

Day 1: eat your normal net calories according to your current plan with MFP
    Day 2: Eat under your net kcal by 500
    Day 3: Eat normally again
    Day 4: eat under by 500 kcal
    Day 5: eat over your net by 200-300 kcal

Repeat.