Looking for healthy buddies for this weight-loss journey!

Options
Hi all!

My name is Sharon. I am 39 years old and currently live in NYC. I have been on this current weight loss journey since the end of January and have lost 41 lbs so far, most of it actually since April. I have at least 60 pounds to go and I would LOVE to meet some like-minded people who are on the same journey so that we can help motivate each other along the way.

My story is similar to many people's. I have struggled with my weight since age 13; I've tried NutriSystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. I have lost with all of them but eventually I have gained it all back and then some, gaining more each time. This past January, I weighed in at my heaviest at 235 pounds (have I mentioned I'm 5' 1"?).

I'm not sure exactly what clicked back in February but I finally started to make some small changes and started using my Wii Fit. I lost about 10 pounds. Then in March I walked over the George Washington Bridge for the first time...that was a real turning point for me. I live right near the bridge and it was something I had always wanted to do. So one beautiful spring day, I did it. And it reminded me that sometimes to get started, all you have to do is DECIDE and then put one foot in front of the other. What an amazing feeling, to feel like I could actually make positive changes instead of just sitting at home, feeling horrible about my situation, drowning my sorrows in chocolate chip cookie dough. Then in April I got a Groupon for New York Sports Club and that has been fantastic, re-discovering my favorite classes and inner athlete.

While I do work out every day and have really made fitness a part of my lifestyle, I still struggle sometimes with my eating; in particular, emotional eating and all those triggers that are so familiar to me...boredom, loneliness, angst, you name the emotion, it can be a trigger, lol Since I work out a lot, I have still been losing 1-2 pounds a week but I'd like to get it under control as part of a new healthy lifestyle on the whole. I also don't eat consistently...I manage to stay under the daily MFP limits but I tend to do things like not eat much all day and then really eat way too much at night. It's still under the calorie count but it's definitely not healthy.

You know, I feel like I wrote a mini-novel here, lol, but really, this is the gist of all of it.... I don't want to be fat anymore. I want to live a normal, healthy life and do things that normal, healthy people do. I would love to meet other people who feel the same way so we can help each other find our way...good luck to you all and here's to a successful journey for all of us!! :happy:

Replies

• JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • andrewzehner121
    Options
    You could add me too! Always looking for more support
  • sharonnyc
    Options
    Great, thank you!
  • JadaRG
    JadaRG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You should put this in your blog section Sharon! Great story! I think its key that you learn about healthy eating rather than just eating whatever and trying to stay under the calorie goal. You're right in saying that it isn't healthy and I did that for a loong time before I just bit the bullet and decided to eat well too. Guess what? 80% of weight loss is your food so i've been feeling fabulous and loosing more weight than i expected and hope to continue to do so. Eating well is the key I think. Not eating less :) Good luck on your journey!
  • sharonnyc
    Options
    Thanks, I totally agree with you and I know it's something I need to work on. I appreciate the support!
  • BeachSlim
    Options
    I'm 5'1 too and started my journey in January! I've lost 20lbs so far and have about 18lbs to go. You can add me :)