Cutting the carbs

Options
I've always been a big carb eater - bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc. I find when I don't have enough I get really lethargic and want to eat all the time. I now want to reduce my carbs a bit and replace them with more protein. Where can I get good protein without eating a ton of meat?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Try whet protein, soy protein, any dairy. Cottage cheese is a good source
  • feebzz
    feebzz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

There are plenty of high protein foods to replace carbs out there, all you have to do is a little bit of research. I really struggled to cut bread, rice & pasta completely myself, I just did a bit of research and tried healthier alternatives i.e. Instead of white rice, try wholemeal long grain brown rice or quinoa. Instead of using flour, try blending natural rolled oats and use that when baking. Instead of potatoes, why not try sweet potatoes. Don't forget to eat plenty of greens such as broccoli & spinach as well as fruits.

I normally prepare my meals ahead of time (breakfast, morning snack, lunch, pre work out meal etc.) so that I won't have to worry about what I am going to have during the day at work. This way you'll avoid pitfalls of random, thoughtless eating/ snacking. Your body will thank you for it and you will feel fuller for longer.

Eggs- 6g protein,
    Dairy products such as: milk 8-24g per cup protein, cheese 32g protein, cottage cheese 10-12g protein, yoghurt 13-20g protein
    Legumes- 12-18g protein (chickpeas, lentils & black beans)
    Red Meat- 21.5- 24.8g protein
    White Meat 17-36.8g (chicken/ turkey)
    Fish- 18-32g protein (Tuna/ salmon)
    Seeds & nuts- 15.5- 28.5g protein (almonds,peanuts, sunflower seeds, pepitas,flaxseeds and the list goes on!)
    Protein Powder- comes in all different flavours and you can blend it with frozen mixed berries or a banana with a dollop of greek yoghurt and stevia. Voila! you have yourelf a protein smoothie!

There may be plenty more I have missed but this list is what my diet consists of. I hope it helps and good luck!:smile:
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I am doing the same thing

yogurt (espeically greek yogurt)
    Cottage cheese (I mix it with splenda, pumpkin, cinnamon and vanilla)
    eggs
    nuts
    nut butters
    cheese
    beans
    fat free cream cheese
    Tofu
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions - definitely going to try a few this week.