Running Coaching/Groups

Options
Hey All,

I am wondering what your experiences have been with Running Coaching and Running Groups. I have done 5Ks and 10Ks but am going to start training for my first half marathon in about 2 weeks. I am wondering if it is worth it to hire a running coach or to join a running group where you have to pay.

Thanks,
Monica

Replies

• Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally like being able to run at my own paces and my own times of the day. But I do use a structured training schedule to keep me on track and pay attention to my pace week over week as well as strength improvements with weight and reps to make sure that I'm making headway and not just out there working out for nothing.

The plans I've used for all but my very first race were Hal Higdon's and I've seen steady and continued improvement in my pacing and strength over the the last year that I've been using them. I used one of his 10-K plans for my 7-K, 10-K, and 12-K races and then also used one of his half marathon plans for my half in April the one I'm running next weekend.

Personally, I like hitting the trail as soon as it's open on Sunday mornings but with my work schedule, my M-F workouts are all in the evening, after work and after dinner. Then my Saturday workout I pretty much fit around my schedule for the day in whatever works best.

So the idea of trying to stick to a strict schedule laid out by a running group would probably just make it more difficult for me to face. Since sometimes I prefer to spend some time watching TV with the hubby if he's home in the evenings or maybe I just head straight out for my workout to get it out of the way. And the idea of basically having to leave at a specific time to meet a group would probably end up making me more frustrated.