I hate lifting

Options
So been going to the gym for a few months now pretty regularly. I lost over 20 lbs and am now at my goal weight. I don't want to lose any more weight (just maintain) but would like some more definition. I hate lifting - I find it boring, my muscles tire quickly and I'm sore for days (even after drinking plenty of water and eating protein right after). I can do cardio for hours and enjoy it.

Anything you all do to make lifting feel less of a chore and more enjoyable?

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I have to have music going for me to be able to get thru a workout in the gym. Buy an iPod and do it to it. Also maybe get a training partner to keep the motivation up if needed.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Go to a lifting class..... Loads of men avoid it, but its great motivation and hard work! But fun all at the same time.

Some people dont ever increase their weights, but I do.

In my body pump class a few men go, the instructor is a guy too.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

Anything you all do to make lifting feel less of a chore and more enjoyable?

I used to feel precisely the same. I would rather run for hours than lift for 30 minutes. But, then I:

1) Set goals. Once I decided I wanted to do pull ups, squat my body weight, and look like a superhero it suddenly became enjoyable.

2) Got some great music. My lifting playlists are different from my running playlists. I run to zone out, I lift to focus.

3) Got faster. With strength, came power. With power, came a better footstrike. With the footstrike came a faster mile.

4) Got informed. Use the "search" function here on the forums to get inspired with loads of good information...just choose your sources wisely. Whenever I feel lost, I break out my Arnold encyclopedia or check out www.bodyrecomposition.com

Good luck.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Seeing the results is all the enjoyment I need. :smile:

The actual act of doing it, I put in the same category of doing laundry, flossing my teeth and shaving my legs.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The key is to not overdo it in the beginning. You don't want to "jump in" to strength training but sneak up on it.

Try a full body workout and limit it to 8 sets total, and no more than twice a week. Then ramp things up slowly as you get comfortable. Watch for signs of fatigue. Back off if you need to, but DON'T STOP!

The soreness you are experiencing is temporary. I no longer get sore unless I do an unusual workout.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Set goals in terms of what you can lift, and set out to achieve those. That was the one thing that got me hooked on lifting, when I really hated cardio. Improvements came so much quicker :D
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy lifting but I hate, hate, hate cardio - so I don't do cardio (apart from a bit of swimming). I'd say, if you don't like it - don't do it.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I too used to hate lifting it was changing the weights, setting up the bench etc, it always felt like a huge gap between exercises. I also didnt feel i achieved much and barely broke a sweat. Then I decided I wanted muscle definition and decided to increase the weight and lower the reps. I enjoyed it much more and felt I was achieving something. I now definately break a sweat and get breathless too. This is only a recent thing so not seen too many gains yet but will definately keep it up. I still love running but love lifting equally now. I workout at home so my kids often keep me company as I lift. While this can be distracting as I need to keep them safe and they need things, it is also entertaining. Imagine 2, 8 year olds one trying to do dips and the other lifting 3kg weights that is so funny. I also feel I am setting an example. My daughter does gymnastics and often practices on the dip bars.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love lifting, hate running so I do HIIT most of the time. Stronglifts 5x5 is a program that is very efficient and with only 3 lifts at a time. Might be worth a try
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I love lifting, the feeling I get from curling heavier and heavier weight is amazing, I just love getting stronger. Find one thing you enjoy from weight lifting and focus on it. I don't love cardio but I have been doing 2 hours on my stationary bike on the days I don't weight train. I do it mostly because my family has a history of heart issues but I also feel fantastic after a good hour or two on the bike when I originally didn't want to work out at all. So like I said, find something about it that you like and focus on that and when you start seeing results from it then it gets you going even more and makes you excited for the next session. I can't wait until I can say I am curling 30 pounds for biceps, I'm currently at 22.5 and even that makes me super pumped =]
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I urge you not to give up, WL is so beneficial. I've been using the New Rules of Weightlifting for Abs. It is another reduced number of lifts but all compound exercise program that inludes only four lifts per routine + specific core work.

I have experienced some interesting gains in this program after being stalled in others.

Keep looking around to find a program that interests you.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I really dislike lifting too. I don't dislike cardio so I do cardio quite easily.

Do you take cardio classes? If so, go to the gym an hour before the class and you can do weights. What else are you gonna do? The fact that people are supposed to lift before cardio is an added bonus.

If you don't do cardio classes, then take one at least once a week. I find that if I do the treadmill or whatever, I don't end up doing my strength training. The reason is that as long as there's an empty treadmill, you do it and you're done. With a class, you can't take the class earlier than the scheduled time. So, while you wait for the class to begin, you can lift some weights.
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    I really enjoy lifting but I hate, hate, hate cardio - so I don't do cardio (apart from a bit of swimming). I'd say, if you don't like it - don't do it.

AMEN
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kettlebell classes? It combines weight bearing exercises with cardio for a full body workout. You will be sore, and you will be dripping with sweat after, but it is amazing how fast you can make progress with kettlebells! Workouts are usually not more than 20-30 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Bet you haven't changed your actual lifting workout. That can get BORING and become ineffective if done long enough since the body can actually adapt to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • emdf7a
    emdf7a Posts: 36
    Options
    I love the cardio but hate the lifting too. Lifting to me is boring and I do enought lifting at work and home as it is.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Love lifting, hate running so I do HIIT most of the time. Stronglifts 5x5 is a program that is very efficient and with only 3 lifts at a time. Might be worth a try

I second the StrongLifts 5 x 5 idea.

It's only 3 lifts at a time, it's got no complicated lifts, but once you set your eye on a goal (for example mine is to deadlift 100kg) it's fantastic to see your goal get closer and closer. Every day that I lift, I set a new PB.