Snack ideas please?

Options
This may be an impossible request, but here goes. Because of where I work, I seldom get lunch or food breaks. I usually work 10-12 hour shifts. I *might* get a few minutes to grab something to eat during my shift. I'm looking for quick snack ideas to keep at my desk so if I get a minute to pop into my office I can grab something quickly, preferably something higher in protein. No refrigeration. I know, right? Tall order. Ideas anyone?

Replies

• melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I bought a small Thermos brand container (comes with a spoon that fits in the lid!) that holds a cup of cottage cheese (30gm protein) that keeps cold all day long. I mix in craisins and pecans or sunflower seeds. Could be used for yogurt or refrigerator oatmeal too.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Protein cereal (I think Kashi has a couple of options)
    Beef Jerky (you can even make your own)
    Nut butter (not as high as other sources of protein, but not a bad choice)

As an alternative, you could get a thermal bag or tote and pack it full of some ice pack so you can have cheese, dairy, and meat. I have a cute bag from Thirty-One that stays pretty cold!
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of cottage cheese or some chia seeds. They're a little high in sugar, but a Luna Bar or a boost high protein shake are usually my go-to meals on the go to grab if I'm not going to have time to actually eat and I need to not get shaky.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Green beans, raw, that crunch in your mouth. Good for you. Low calories. Nutritious. Cheap. What's not to like? I buy them in bulk from the grocery store, wash 'em, put them in individual plastic containers, chill them, then grab a bag for munching anytime.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I keep this kind of stuff in a soft type cooler, without an ice pack in my car. I am on the road much of the day. It keeps well. I am sure it would work in your office.

raw nuts

hummus and veggies

hard boiled eggs

fruit

cherry or grape tomatoes
  • 48vixen
    48vixen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are great. I freeze a water bottle and keep it in my lunch bag it keeps things cold. Also raw almonds are a great snack item, as well as string cheese (but high in sodium).
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Look up Jamie Eason's lemon protein bars (she also makes carrot bars i think). They are delicious, clean and low calorie. I take them as my snack every day. They have protein powder in them and keep me full. I also do baby carrot sticks with a light dip - it won't need a fridge if you eat them within like 5 hours.

Also, I suggest getting a lunch back with one of the ice packs that you can freeze. It will give you a lot more options in terms of fruits and stuff.
  • Klaks
    Klaks Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Carrots with guacamole dip doesn't need to be in the fridge for some time... and it's delicious :)
  • ambitionjr
    Options
    honey nutt cheerios mixed in a bag with almond and cashews
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like bannanas and rice cakes x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Roast soy nuts, garbazos, or broad beans. You may need to hunt in health food stores.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread!

I'm back to work tomorrow after 8 weeks vacation (I'm a teacher) and wondering what I am going to have to eat because I don't usually get breaks during the day. I can't take any type of nuts or peanut butter (and I love both!!!) into the school AND I've recently discovered I seem to be sensitive to consuming foods made with cow's milk.

Thanks to everyone's suggestions I'm feeling WAAAYYY more prepared to start the new school year with some healthy food ideas on the go!!
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    try some salsa and tortilla chips or fig newtons or you can try the flavored individual cans of tuna with some crackers (wheat thins have a sweet potato flavor that is amazing) also a tomato sandwich will not need to be refrigerated. and individual cups of unsweetened applesauce work for me.
  • thinnnnnnner
    Options
    Freeze an individual portioned 0% greek yogurt they can have up to 18g of protein. By the time you're ready for a snack it will have thawed but still be cold. Have it with some raw blueberries for sweetness.

Nuts are also a good source of protein. I buy 100 cal packs because you can get carried away with nuts so easily.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered, what sounds awful but I really like, two ryvita crushed, 25 ml of 2% fat plain yoghurt and 30 grms mature cheddar cheese. Does not have to be kept cold, but if preffered there are containers where you can fit an ice pack
  • Trauma_mama
    Options
    apple with peanut butter
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Good quality nut and seed bars - Nakd, 9bar etc
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Turkey jerky - I get the one from Whole Foods - yummy and quite satisfying - and no nasty chemicals