Looking for Vegetarian and Vegan Friends...

Options

Replies

• SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    hey! :happy: I was a vegetarian for 5 years, now I have reintroduced fish into my diet, you are more than welcome to add me and check my food diary out.

x
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian, but only eat fish 1-2x a week (usually). So I suppose that makes me "close enough".
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy nutritional yeast? Is there a particular brand you use?

I use Kal, I get it from a vitamin store. I'm actually pretty fond of it but I miss the cheese texture and fat. Whichever you choose, use flakes, not powder (well I've never tried powder but from what I've heard the flakes are better). You don't need to worry about B12 fortified/nonfortified since you're still eating some meat.

I'm cooking some new vegan recipes today (from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's "Appetite for Reduction"), will let you know how it goes.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm also a pescatarian. Friend request me
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey vegan here! You can friend request me, and you're more than welcome to check my diary out. My protein intake is very high because I'm weight training so don't freak out when you the numbers , lol!
  • chocobo93
    chocobo93 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian because of my intense burning hatred for the meat industry and how they treat their animals. I confess, sometimes we get half a cow from a local farm because I support local farms who raise their animals humanely, with room to roam and play, hormone free, and the way animals should be raised.
  • SonoraflowerKim
    Options
    I am going to BUMP this thread as I am more vegetarian than anything atm. I gave up red meat/pork In February as I am one of those ppl that quit producing the enzymes that break down red meat and the aftermath of eating it was horrible for about 2 years. I do very little proceeded sugar, cheese, milk or bread. Have been looking at gluten free things lately. Eating an extreme amount of veggies and fruits and have chicken or fish 1-2 times a week. Protein is always a concern, as I work out 1-1.5 hours a day and have a very demanding job that burns a TON of calories. I am on the move all day long.

So any help on vegetarian or vegan recipes would be great. :-)
  • SonoraflowerKim
    Options
    I'm vegetarian because of my intense burning hatred for the meat industry and how they treat their animals. I confess, sometimes we get half a cow from a local farm because I support local farms who raise their animals humanely, with room to roam and play, hormone free, and the way animals should be raised.

KUDOS!!! My husband only uses meat that is raised by our family. We do not buy any meat from the store!
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _Obsession_
    _Obsession_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hey feel free to add me! I am a vegan have been since January this year, i have however been vegetarian for the past 15 years. I do all of this for ethical reasons. feel free to chat if you need and help or advice x
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    Kind of getting excited now. I'm going to have so many new things to try :)
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    Vegetarian for five years. Recently been finding ways to up my protein since MFP's limit is WAY too low for my workouts.

I think you need to add me for my diary but I'm pretty proud of my vegetarianism and diet. :)
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    Oh the love!!!! Soooo much better than ...bacon.:heart:
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Oh the love!!!! Soooo much better than ...bacon.:heart:

Which, by the way, there are many delicious vegetarian and vegan versions of ;-)
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    Yeah, no thanks on the fake bacon or other fake products. :noway:

I really, really don't like a lot of processed foods (Cheetos being an exception).

I won't eat tofu because it looks and tastes nothing like what it originated as. Veggies pretending to be meat is like... white rappers :noway: (with the exception of Eminem, he just got it like that). :huh:

I like taste and texture authenticity. :)
  • mrose811
    mrose811 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I became Vegetarian back in June for the exact reasons. But I always say that if I ever do eat meat again in the future it'll only be from a local farm and ethically raised.
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian since I was a kid and now Vegan so the only big hurdle was dairy and my body can't handle it anyway. My diary is not that impressive at all, I have such a crappy digestive system (ibs) that I have to be super careful when eating BUT I am very supportive! ^_^
  • greenthickies
    Options
    Hi there

I just joined this site and I'm a vegan. I'd love to be friends with any vegans or vegetarians too. My diary is public so you are very welcome to have a look but this week mine is a bit boring too but hopefully it will go back to normal after a week.

This week I'm setting myself a challenge to drink nothing but green thickies (fruit smoothies with leafy greens and oats added) to see how I feel at the end of it, and to see if I lose any weight.

It's been a bit of an eye opener so far anyway.

Nice to meet you.

Katherine
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I'm an off and on vegetarian/vegan and rarely eat meat - it has to be local. We have been getting eggs from a local farmer so they have crept back into my diet. My diary is hit or miss but fairly healthy (with the exception of chocolate and adult beverages). I'm a big fan of juicing and smoothies.

I have to chime in and second the suggestion of nutritional yeast and black pepper on popcorn. I'll never go back to cheetos. :love:

Please feel free to add me. If I had more veggie loving friends I might get even better at it.

:heart:
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for years and learnt that I was intolerant to dairy and it took me a year to completely stop taking it. I am a vegan and the best website for vegan recipes is the ppk (post punk kitchen) Isa is an amazing vegan with a good ideas. However some of the recipes are not always healthy unless eaten in moderation. She has amazing cakes, meals puddings etc. She also has a healthy vegan cookbook- Appetite for Reduction. I love her strawberry and spinach salad although it made A LOT of salad for one person. Her recipes are amazing.

http://www.theppk.com/

I was once told that it takes 6 weeks to break a habit. I did that with bread and I took it a day at a time. Persevere.

I don't know how to give up dairy because I had no choice- I associated it with pain which was a good incentive. But a few years on and I don't have any urges or want to take dairy. I hate the smell of milk and sometimes I miss the idea of cheese as I was addicted to it but I never have the urge to eat it.

Good luck