"I'm just curious!

Options
This last thursday, I sent a message to my nutritionist about my weigh in, and in the course of talking, she asked me how many times I step on the scale. I said at least once a week, but sometimes more, as I use curiosity as an excuse to look... which I know is bad. She said in no uncertain terms, I'm not to step on the scale more than once a week, on thursdays. I haven't stepped on the scale since last thursday, and it's almost like... now that I know it's off limits, it's that much harder not to step on it, just to know... Are there things you do all the time, that you know you probably shouldn't, and you use "I'm just curious!" as your excuse to do them, anyway?

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Even though I know it is bad...I usually weigh myself everyday. This way I will know very quickly if I am heading in the wrong direction. I do keep in mind that our weight does fluctuate.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Go on Facebook, check my emails or come on here instead of writing my PhD! Lol.
  • slomtim
    slomtim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    52 lost thats really good 'I try not eat bra but i carnt resist it but im down to 4 slices a day.
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    I did that. Until I was getting on multiple times a day. And then feeling awful about any increase in weight. If you can do it without getting upset by any increases that you may see as a result of natural variation, then I say don't worry about it. If you can't, you do what I finally had to do, which is take the battery out of the scale and stash it in the garage so I can only weigh myself once a month.

Back when I was really depressed, I used to go and read the comments on the NYTimes Health/Fitness articles. A nastier bunch of self-righteous jerks you will never find. I used "I'm curious" as my excuse, knowing full well it would just reinforce all the awful things I felt about myself. I'm over that now.
  • sumeetn
    sumeetn Posts: 56
    Options
    i gain and loose really fast, I could gain 3-4 pounds in 2 days and loose 1-2 pounds in 2 days, so I weigh regularly 2/3 times a week
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know...I used to only weigh myself once a week, but now I do it every day a the same time. I find myself having more success and I feel more encouraged. Other than that I might eat something that I'm shouldn't...maybe I use the excuse "I'm just curious" if it still tastes the same? LOL
  • v_snowdrop
    Options
    lol i weigh myself every day and always have. i don't make excuses for it because i don't give a ____. it's one of those old wives' tales about dieting: weigh yourself only once a week! don't eat after 8 pm! chew every bite 20 times! rme
  • wheels5894
    wheels5894 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Strictly once a week on Saturdays. Weight goes up and down during the day and days depending on water and all sorts. It is best to choose one time and weigh at the same time and in the same clothes once a week. Anything else will mostly likely make one depressed as the wight might appear to be increasing.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Most things I do are motivated by curiosity. I don't see it as bad. :-) I'm very curious as to how various lifestyle changes are affecting my weight, so I always weigh myself at the gym, because I'm curious to see how/if my weight has changed.

I would only see it as bad if, say, your self-esteem is based on the number on the scale, because weight fluctuates a lot, so you'd be up and down emotionally if you were always weighing yourself. My self-esteem is not related to my weight though - I view the numbers objectively, and so it doesn't affect my emotional wellbeing. It just satisfies my curiosity - and my love of numbers and measuring!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

How sad !!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everday or every other so i know where i'm at with my eating.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I was just curious what a Cajun Chicken Sizzler with a Cheesy Bites crust tasted like
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every 2-3 days cause I was just curious lol but I started to get worried that if I had a gain that I might lose motivation.
  • loztredders
    Options
    I weigh most days and sometimes multiple times each day, purely as I find it interseting to see how much weight can fluctuate depending on what I've eaten etc!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options

How sad !!

*raises an eyebrow* I'm going to assume you meant to come across as funny there and not rude.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday isn't necessarily wrong. It all depends on what it does to your motivation.

In science when you're trying to pin down a number that's fluctuating you actually increase your measuring points to get a good estimate. As your weight fluctuates as well, you could weigh yourself everyday and use the average of that week as your weekly weigh-in.

However, the most honest way of measuring doesn't take into account psychology. If you're the type of person that's discouraged if the scale gives 0.2 lbs higher than before, weighing often will only freak you out. So that's why it's encouraged to only weigh yourself once a week. But it adds the risk that that one weigh-in is actually higher than your actual weight for the week.
  • Fenomka
    Fenomka Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday isn't necessarily wrong. It all depends on what it does to your motivation.

In science when you're trying to pin down a number that's fluctuating you actually increase your measuring points to get a good estimate. As your weight fluctuates as well, you could weigh yourself everyday and use the average of that week as your weekly weigh-in.

However, the most honest way of measuring doesn't take into account psychology. If you're the type of person that's discouraged if the scale gives 0.2 lbs higher than before, weighing often will only freak you out. So that's why it's encouraged to only weigh yourself once a week. But it adds the risk that that one weigh-in is actually higher than your actual weight for the week.

Yeah... see, I'm that "freaks out at .2 lbs" type of person. or when I don't see the scale moving like I want it to, even when I see the fat % dropping and all... I tend to beat myself up about all the tiny things, and she knows that. Thanks, everyone, for the great response! I'm trying not to use my "just curious!" to talk myself into a co-worker's home made german chocolate cake. Despite how delicious it looks! LOL
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    I do it every single morning. But I also am aware that there is weight fluctuation, and if it goes up I don't freak out about it as long as I have a steady weight loss after 1 to 2 weeks.
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    I've been really bad lately, weighing 3/4 times a week. It's not a good thing.
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but only record my weight once a week. If I don't weigh myself everyday, it's all to easy to pig out on the day after weigh in day, knowing I have the whole week to make up for it.