I'm a chocaholic, need an alternative that tastes as good?

Options

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat cacao nibs - it's raw cocoa, so it is basically chocolate with nothing bad added to it! It's not fattening and is apparently very nutritious. However, as it has nothing added to it, it is not actually sweet - if you eat it by itself it tastes a bit bitter. But eat it with a banana and it is just like chocolate. You can add it to smoothies, or to fruit salads - I tend to add it to fruit salads. It has all the 'feel good' results of chocolate too. :-)
  • Karenannmo
    Karenannmo Posts: 118
    Options
    I've been keeping Simple Pleasures dark chocolate with chocolate creme in my freezer and have one a day. One is only 45 calories and since they are frozen it takes longer to dissolve in my mouth.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    This isn't really helpful if you really want to give it up, but I'd agree with most posters here and say that I just eat chocolate. I eat it most days in fact, and it hasn't been a problem for me. I just eat less than I used to! It doesn't have that many calories in small portions, and I'd rather have real chocolate than shave off a handful of calories to have a substitute that I just wouldn't enjoy as much.
  • karyn3037
    Options
    I have sugar free chocolate pudding or I drink a cup of chocolate almond milk. The seems to statisfy my chocolate cravings.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Danone Shape Chocolate Delight desert.
    Special K Mint Chocolate Bliss bar
    Maltesers
    Any other chocolate I want that I can fit into my calorie allowance.
  • Anah291
    Anah291 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    DUHH!! Why didn't I think of hot chocolate?? Lol thanks for the tip will buy some asap! :)

And I only wanted an alternative because I cannot moderate eating chocolate lol I just CAN'T!! If i take one bite I cannot put the rest down! No matter how hard I'll try to stop myself I can't ughh.. So I'll eat dark chocolate (which I love btw) from now on..and of course there'll be days where I'll want the real thing but dark chocolate and hot choc drinks should do me just fine for now!!

Thanks everybody :):)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use chocolate flavoured protein powder, but I've read on other health and fitness forums that mixing chocolate protein powder, low fat yoghurt and maybe some artificial sweetener, makes a low calorie chocolate alternative. Not tried it myself as I said, but I've seen a few recipes for this kind of thing.

Also switching from milk to very dark (like 80% cocoa) chocolate might be a good move, far more chocolate for the calories. Depends if you eat chocolate for the chocolate itself, or for the sweet taste. If you want sweet then this won't help, but if you want a big hit of chocolate it will.
  • Anah291
    Anah291 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i used to almost obsessively crave chocolate like alllllll the time..and one day i was telling (whining) to my doctor about it and he told me that chocolate cravings can be due to having a magnesium deficiency and told me to start taking a magnesium supplement and it was like the best thing i ever did because now i dont crave chocolate any more! so now whenever i see these threads i always try to mention it to other people cause i know it made a big difference for me lol

when i NEED chocolate though i always try to either buy a fin size candy bar or i keep a regular size bar in the freezer that way i can break a chunk off and put the rest away. when its frozen it takes longer to melt so it takes longer to eat and i feel like im eating more than i am without blowing my day.

That's interesting!! Thanks for that will have a look into it and try it :)
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I really like carob, it's a good chocolate substitute, although it's also an acquired taste :D I enjoy it :D

1397731.png
  • silverjezture
    silverjezture Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use International Delight Chocolate Caramel Creamer in my coffee, morning and evening cups- that's my chocolate fix and SOOOO yummy! I also drink Light Chocolate Soy Milk when needing a fix and it fits in my 1350 pretty easily. :)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate plus I either add cocoa powder to my shakes or use chocolate protein powder. I sometimes also drink cocoa nib tea. I love chocolate but I don't crave it.
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    Usually when I get a craving for chocolate is mix some cocoa in with some cool whip. Not bad for you at all if you are watching carbs. I also started eating a spoonful of peanut butter and sprinkle some oatmeal and cocoa in together just to get that snack fix.
  • jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There is a new study out that says dark chocolate in moderation is very healthy and can also help with weight loss , and high in anti-oxidants !!

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/dark-chocolate
  • jenb41
    jenb41 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Usually when I get a craving for chocolate is mix some cocoa in with some cool whip. Not bad for you at all if you are watching carbs. I also started eating a spoonful of peanut butter and sprinkle some oatmeal and cocoa in together just to get that snack fix.

Chocolate and cool whip?? Oh, now we are talking. :):) lol.
  • nkozyra
    nkozyra Posts: 10
    Options
    There is no such thing as "good" food or "bad" food. Eat what you like, within your caloric boundaries.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    Chocolate and cool whip?? Oh, now we are talking. :):) lol.

They even make a chocolate cool whip!

Personally, I like to add the Hershey's Dark Chocolate Coco powder to real whipped creme. Low on carbs, and just a couple tablespoons satisfy my cravings.

Buy some cocoa powder and keep it at home. Like you, I can't yet limit myself on candy-bars .... if it's in the house, I'm going to eat the whole thing. But I can ration the cocoa powder. It's great in the whipped cream, but also sprinkled on blueberries with a bit of milk is delicious! Even put it in plain yogurt and you've got a yummy chocolate dessert that satisfies the chocolate cravings. I've even sprinkled some cocoa powder on a slice of bread with cinnamon and it's delish! (Though I haven't done the bread in over month... cutting back on the wheat-based carbs, but not on the cocoa!)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for chocolate. Sorry, but there isn't. Try going for darker chocolate and/or snack sizes. I choose the Skinny Cow candy bars by Nestle. They're only 110 calories per bar.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    Atkins makes a mock milky way bar for 120cal... they are so damn good and portioned out... best lowcarb dessert i have ever witnessed on this earth
    Im eating one right now :drinker:
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Vanilla yogurt, cocoa powder and stevia can do the trick.
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    100% dark chocolate (I go for 'Belcolade') with no sugar is healthy enough. Besides, after eating one chip/a small piece you will feel stuffed from chocolate and so you will end up will low amount of calories. :}