weight loss not happening

Options
I guess I should be happy that I have lost 4.5 inches in total on my body but it is getting very discouraging that the scale has not moved more than 0.6 lbs in 4 weeks. Maybe I am being too greedy and want it both ways. I don't know. Just want to sit down and cry now.

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    4.5 inches is brillant. it shows you are losing fat. sometimes it takes a while for the scale to catch up, or you could be building muscle. well done either way and keep up the good work!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have weighed 150 pounds, wore a size zero - had a six pack and double biceps. Currently I weigh 155 pounds and can hardly fit into a size 8 - my belly is gross. throw out the scale. Use a tape measure and how your clothing fits as your guide.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    4.5 inches is brillant. it shows you are losing fat. sometimes it takes a while for the scale to catch up, or you could be building muscle. well done either way and keep up the good work!

she isn't building muscle if she is on a calorie deficit.

OP, how much do you weight, what is your height, how many calories are you eating and what is your exercise? If you post that and open up your diary, we can look at your foods (macro nutrients as well) and look where you can improve.
  • Sweetness023
    Options
    The numbers on the scale not budging could be a number of factors. Muscle weighs more than fat. You could be retaining water (not drinking enough water/eating lots of sodium). But the fact that you are losing inches should definitely make you feel awesome! Try not to focus too much on the scale as I've known people to actually weigh more at a healthier level. More toned, muscle, fit etc. Keep up the fantastic work! It's slow going but you will get there. :)
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options

OP, how much do you weight, what is your height, how many calories are you eating and what is your exercise? If you post that and open up your diary, we can look at your foods (macro nutrients as well) and look where you can improve.

not necessarily. is she is training etc it is possbile, thought difficult. hence why i said it could be
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    yeah me too Im carful how I eat do cardio and strength training and Im stuck on 144 lbs for about 6 weeks I cant or wont eat any less than 1500 cals a day I burn 400-500 exercise cals and Im thinking maybe this is my natural body weight not what the books say but personal to me I havnt been as fit as I am now even when I was in my 20s so I feel its progress Im going for a fitness test on Wed nesday evening cant wait!!
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the encouragement. I don't know how to open my diary but you are welcome to look once I figure that out. I'm 60,5'8",204.4lbs, water aerobics and walking. Have heart issues so limited in what I can do. Any advice welcome
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale for a bit. This post has helped me stay motivated when the scale refuses to move. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof?hl=scale+is+a+liar
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I figured it out. Diary is open
  • psuLemon
    Options

not necessarily. is she is training etc it is possbile, thought difficult. hence why i said it could be

You are confusing strength with muscle growth. In order to gain new lean body mass, you need to create an anabolic state. In order to do so, you need to consume more calories than you burn (aka, a catabolic state). Only in elite athletes is there even an opportunity to increase lean body mass, but it's not significant. I am not trying to be harsh, but she can NOT increase lean body mass. On top of that, it's even harder for women to gain new lean body mass. On average, they can only gain 7-10 lbs of lean body mass a year.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    thanks everyone for the encouragement. I don't know how to open my diary but you are welcome to look once I figure that out. I'm 60,5'8",204.4lbs, water aerobics and walking. Have heart issues so limited in what I can do. Any advice welcome

Based on your stats, I would have you eating 1500 calories a day. I also adjust macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets have been proven to burn fat and preserve muscle. Also, any exercise would be beneficial. I am sure your doctor/cardiologist could design a program beneficial for you. Weight training would be the most beneficial and would allow you to preserve your lean body mass.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I guess I should be happy that I have lost 4.5 inches in total on my body but it is getting very discouraging that the scale has not moved more than 0.6 lbs in 4 weeks. Maybe I am being too greedy and want it both ways. I don't know. Just want to sit down and cry now.

I was weighing myself weekly and for 2 weeks the scale did not move - I was getting so down about it. So I decided to measure myself again instead and I realized I lost 1/2 an inch on my waist. That really got me motivated again! A loss is a loss - be proud of those inches that are gone!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You are confusing strength with muscle growth. In order to gain new lean body mass, you need to create an anabolic state. In order to do so, you need to consume more calories than you burn (aka, a catabolic state). Only in elite athletes is there even an opportunity to increase lean body mass, but it's not significant. I am not trying to be harsh, but she can NOT increase lean body mass. On top of that, it's even harder for women to gain new lean body mass. On average, they can only gain 7-10 lbs of lean body mass a year.

Yes, there is a difference between lean body mass and strengthening muscles. But it is also true that strengthening muscles leads to weight gain because the muscles retain water as they are repairing themselves from the work you put them through. Strength training can cause you to lose inches but remain the same scale weigh.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    OP, the scale is a horrible indicator on your success. The tape measure is truthful. Who cares what a scale says when everyone around you is oohhing and aaahhing over how great you look and how much smaller you are?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Based on your stats, I would have you eating 1500 calories a day. I also adjust macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets have been proven to burn fat and preserve muscle. Also, any exercise would be beneficial. I am sure your doctor/cardiologist could design a program beneficial for you. Weight training would be the most beneficial and would allow you to preserve your lean body mass.

I wouldn't change your diet, OP, unless you simply want to. Whatever you are doing is working if you have already lost almost 5 inches! Great job! :bigsmile:
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    this may sound crazy but check on a different scale. I have a "thinner" scale and it has been bouncing around. I put my 13 month toddler on it this morning and it said she is 30 lbs. I know for a fact she is 25lbs soaking wet. its brand new and digital (P.O.S)
  • spiceylg
    Options
    Never go just by the scale. Go by inches or the way the clothes fit. You are doing great, don't get discouraged!
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    The scale is the devil. Put it up. Follow a regimen, start feeling better and not weigh yourself so much.

The first three weeks I actually gained 4 pounds on a 1200 - 1400 calorie diet with exercising every day. It's gonna take longer than just a few weeks or months.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. The only days you seem to get near your actual calorie goal is when you have take out.

Eat more. Weigh less.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Bearing in mind the above discussion over whether you're building muscle or not, if you're heavy (that's up to you to define) and only starting to walk, then you will develop muscles in the legs to carry your weight.