Questions about first 5K from a total noob

Options
Saturday is going to be my first official 5K race. However, I've got a question or two and need the advice of some experienced runners out there in MFP Land.

First question, for the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing pain in my hip/groin area with a dull pain radiating down my leg along with weakness. Should I rest this entire week and run on Saturday or should I just run a mile every other day? What advice do you have?

Second question, the registration starts at 7:30 with the race beginning at 9:00. What time should I get there to register? Also, I'm used to doing a 5 minute warm up walk and then running. How do I warm up before a 5K?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I have my first 5K in a few weeks and had the same questions.
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    You're welcome! I'm so glad I'm not the only one out there that's got questions.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd say get to the race about an hour early, so you can go to the bathroom and such. I'm not sure how big your race is, but in my experience the potty lines are LONG.

If you warm-up with a walk before your training runs, I don't see why you can't do that for your race.

Make sure you do nothing new on race day.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Saturday is going to be my first official 5K race. However, I've got a question or two and need the advice of some experienced runners out there in MFP Land.

First question, for the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing pain in my hip/groin area with a dull pain radiating down my leg along with weakness. Should I rest this entire week and run on Saturday or should I just run a mile every other day? What advice do you have?

Second question, the registration starts at 7:30 with the race beginning at 9:00. What time should I get there to register? Also, I'm used to doing a 5 minute warm up walk and then running. How do I warm up before a 5K?

Any advice will be appreciated!

That radiating pain sounds like a nerve problem! :sad: Could be a trapped nerve or could be a spinal issue. I'd rest it and take some anti-inflammatories in case some sort of muscles swelling is impinging a nerve. With that sort of pain, I wouldn't do more than walk.

If you weren't having this pain, I'd give yourself two rest days before the race.

When to arrive: depends on how big a race this is and how difficult you think it will be to park. Generally speaking, I try to arrive 45 minutes prior to the race if the parking situation is OK. Gives me plenty of time to get my number and my chip, get those on, pee if needed and walk around a bit to warm up.

If you think it's going to be a really popular 5K so there might be lines and parking difficulties, give yourself at least an hour before the start time.