Protein Powder

Options
Hello everyone!! I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions when it comes to protein powder? Are they all basically the same or is there a particular brand that you would suggest? Ive never used protein powder before so this is pretty new to me. I do circuit traning and cardio. Im looking into some more intense strength exercises in the future but just to tone not to bulk. Any advice?

Replies

• twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vjt1976
    vjt1976 Posts: 43
    Options
    Bump! Would like to know also.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey ::) I use the Whey Iso Burst from GNC... just plain flavour... it's too early to tell though to see if it's working - much like you I'm a huge cardio buff, and I've just started strength training myself :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Whey protein in vanilla and chocolate. I mix them with 7 oz. of 2% milk.I also add the vanilla to a fruit and yogurt smoothie. Some days I mix a cup of coffee with the chocolate and 7oz of milk with ice and make a Coffee Coolada sort of thing.
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Anything that has about 25 g of protein and less then 2 g of carbs is pretty good. So anything with about 110-150 calories is good. You also want something that mixes up great without any chunks. I'm a big fan of BioX Power Whey brand and the Dymatize also.
  • LizJ08
    LizJ08 Posts: 127
    Options
    bump
  • MelodyAnn323
    MelodyAnn323 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like Jay Robb's Chocolate whey powder. Not the cheapest, but a lot of protein bang for your buck, and one of the better tasting options out there in my opinion.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Gourmet Protein is good
    Muscle Milk is good (tastes like you mixed it with milk when you just add water)
    Optimum Nutrtion is good, but tastes watery if you add too much water

Usually you can find free trials online, so do some research and try various ones to see what works best for you.

IMO, I avoid the 'fruity' proteins and stick to something that has a chocolate/vanilla base because of taste preference.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!! I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions when it comes to protein powder? Are they all basically the same or is there a particular brand that you would suggest? Ive never used protein powder before so this is pretty new to me. I do circuit traning and cardio. Im looking into some more intense strength exercises in the future but just to tone not to bulk. Any advice?

I have found that you really get what you pay for when it comes to protein powder. If you buy it at the local Wally World it taste like flavored poop.

The best I have found for the money AND has a good taste, is at GNC. It's called Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. A serving size is three scoops, but I usually use only one scoop maybe twice a day. One scoop is like 90-100 calories, under a gram of fat, under 3 grams of carbs, and 20g of protein.
  • jchester101
    jchester101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whey protein. Make sure it's in isolate form and nothing with added sugar.
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    They're all the same! Don't follow labels..

Just go for the cheaper with a good ratio of protein per serving!
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Whey protein in vanilla and chocolate. I mix them with 7 oz. of 2% milk.I also add the vanilla to a fruit and yogurt smoothie. Some days I mix a cup of coffee with the chocolate and 7oz of milk with ice and make a Coffee Coolada sort of thing.

This sounds so good! I miss my mocha drinks so much! Thanks for the suggestion
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Here's a great experiment run by some people from Reddit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag9uT-E4EIL7dFZPZnR0WVZybGtFWnRKNzdKNm9XOVE#gid=0

It compares the actual protein content of different powders to the content they advertise. The higher the measured/claimed value (column M), the more accurate the advertised protein amount.

Pick one that's .75 or higher, is in your price range, and tastes okay to you.
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information everyone!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump! Curious to see what others say. I just started using Body Fortress whey protein powder after workouts. Just something I saw at Walgreens that was on sale, so I figured I'd try it. This stuff's freaking expensive! :/
  • NPalmer411
    NPalmer411 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Total Lean - Lean Shake 25 Rich Chocolate. http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4394912&cp=3703232 I also love peanut butter so for snacks, I have a chocolate protien shake with PB2 (powdered peanut butter). PB2 is only 45 calories, 1.5g fat and 5g carbs and 5g of protein for 2 tbsp of the powder. I make the shake with the 2 tbsp of PB2, 2 scoops of the Lean Shake 25 Rich Chocolate, 8 to 10oz of water and ice. YUM is all I have to say.

Breakfast - I use 2 scoops of the Lean Shake 25 Rich Chocolate, 8 to 10oz of water and one cup of mixed frozen berries.

Good luck!
    Nicole:heart:
  • astargirlpower
    Options
    Jarrow whey.
  • tessiscruisen
    tessiscruisen Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Powder, chocolate. Taste's great and for me has the right balance of calories/protein/fiber/carbs.

http://jillianmichaels.shop.sportstoday.com/Product.aspx?pc=JIAM79
  • frenchie5893
    Options
    GNC wheybolic is good. Very lean at 93 calories and less than 1 grams of fat per scoop and 20g of protein. Fair amount of amino acids as well. Absorbs faster than a lot of other powders so is really good for post workout drink. Its not the cheapest stuff around (76.99 for 3 lbs). Best thing is to do the buy one get one half off. That way your only paying around $19 a pound (about the same as muscle milk and everything else) and if your only doing a scoop at a time it will last you forever.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like the Lifetime Vanilla Whey protien and Jay Robbs whey protien. Both taste good. Check the labels on whatever you are looking at. Not all protien powders are the same. I have seen some with high amount of carbs and relatively low protien amounts. I look for low/no carbs and at least 20 g of protien.