How do you know what body fat percentage to shoot for?

Options
I'm interested in learning how to determine what body fat I should be. Does anyone know where to look? I am 42, 5'4" and small framed. I am currently measuring around 35% BF which I know is waaaay too high but how low should it be? I've been told 18% but wow - that is like half of my current measurement and seems totally unrealistic!!!!!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your goals and realistic dedication should determine it - there is no "right answer" for this. A lot of people (myself included) set a goal, then continually adjust as they get closer and have a better sense of what that BF% feels like and looks like for them.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    18% does seem a little low - low 20s is probably more like it. But you will know better when you get closer to that range!
  • SPQ2015
    SPQ2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this calculator - use the military measurement. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • debreissue2012
    Options
    I think you're right. There's no point in setting 150 different even if compatible goals. Focus on one or two. I start weight training tomorrow. That should make a difference. I run because like you, I enjoy it and I love seeing myself getting better. Love it. Let me get closer to the goal and checking things like BF then. Anyway, the lowest it has ever been is 24% and that is when I only weighed 47kgs. Okay at 22, not so hot at 42.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Anything between 18-25% I'd considered a healthy bmi.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI calculator website http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

For a woman, an athlete will have a body fat % of 14%-20%. Someone in the "fitness" range has a body fat % of 21-24% and someone in the "acceptable" range has a body fat % of 25%-31%.

When I started my fitness journey 2 years ago I focused on my weight. I have since lost 59# and am now focusing on the body fat percentage as I am content with what the scale says, but still want to improve the composition of my body. It's hard after 40!!

(I'm 41, 5' 9" and weigh 152#. Size 8).

Good luck!
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump thanks for this post:smile: