Battling depression and losing weight! Help!

Options
Hi all

I was diagnosed with clinical depression 10 months ago and have put on even more weight. In the last 4 years I've put on about 60lbs! I'm in my first week of MFP and so far, I'm doing ok but I just know that the comfort food cravings are going to kick in when I have a particularly bad day.

If anyone is in the same boat or similar or thinks they can help me, please add me as a friend. I need all the support I can get!

Thanks in advance :o) x

Replies

• ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    hello have a great day
  • LouisaRoots
    LouisaRoots Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hi welcome, i also suffer with depression, and when i cant handle things i emotionally binge it, i used to keep it very secret from family but now im honest about it, and can hand on heart say i havent had an episode in a long time,
    i have 10 weeks till my holiday and also want to try for a baby and want to lose a stone by then. feel free to add me x
    if want to
  • TosaDana
    TosaDana Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi there!

I suffer from anxiety disorder and have put on about 40 lbs since taking medication for treatment two years ago. It's awful, but it's under control (which is great!) - now I just need to get my weight back to "normal". Feel free to add me as a friend - I think we'd be great motivators for each other!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hey there! :) I've been diagnosed with clinical depression for the past 8 years, so I know what you're going through. For me, however, I find the antidepressants make me lose all my cravings. Weird, right? But maybe it's the medication I'm on - Cymbalta. What antidepressant does your doctor have you on? I've tried almost every single one on the market so far, and some of them really are nasty. If you're looking for support, feel free to add me! If nothing else I can be a listening ear.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Been off and on depressed for many years. I'm coming out of a 2 year spell. I used to roll my eyes when people told me "exercise helps" but it really does help.
  • berfy
    berfy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya. I started drinking and pigging out after taking a job out of state away from friends & family, and packed on about 60lbs. After a couple of weeks of no alcohol, healthy eating, and exercising every day, I am much happier :)
  • GreyV
    GreyV Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm currently on Citalopram which seem ok but I still seem to be very up and down. I am better than I was though. I find cycling helps me relax so I try to get out as much as possible. Unfortunately I can't spend all my time on a bike!
  • GreyV
    Options
    Been off and on depressed for many years. I'm coming out of a 2 year spell. I used to roll my eyes when people told me "exercise helps" but it really does help.

Yeah I'm just realising that. It sounds so patronising though when someone else tells you. It's easier to find these things out on my own.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I think the only thing that's kept me sane some days is the familiar routine of going to the gym daily.
  • GreyV
    Options
    I keep thinking about joining the gym but I get panicky around people I don't know and I think that might be a bit too much for me to cope with at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon though.
  • mhairi81
    mhairi81 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

This!
  • GreyV
    Options

This!

Yes!
  • bexporter
    bexporter Posts: 11 Member
    Options

It really does! I was diagnosed with depression and put on Zoloft 2 months ago -- after the first week of absolutely no appetite and no energy, it kicked my butt into gear, and now I'm here! I have motivation to exercise and it really does make me feel great. I would have never in a thousand years imagined it -- I'm a stay-at-home-and-read or Netflix-marathon X-Files all day type of girl -- I am *not* an outdoorsy type.

If you need any support or friends, feel free to add me!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about joining the gym but I get panicky around people I don't know and I think that might be a bit too much for me to cope with at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon though.

Yes I understand that. I tend to get a bit nervous outside of my comfort zones. I've been going to my gym since december and I still get a bit on edge going and I go about 3-4 times a week lol.