Do all hrm come with chest strap?

Options
I really want to get a good hrm. Nothing over the top but something I can wear every day as a watch and than use for workouts. I've been looking at them online and trying to do some research. I'm thinking about getting the Polar FT7 off amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Black/dp/B004KMOY9C/ref=lh_ni_t

I'm not sure if it comes with a chest strap, do all come with chest straps, do you really need the chest strap?

Thanks for the help

Its says "transmitter" is that the chest strap piece?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure all the Polar HRMs come with chest straps. There are HRMs that are watch only but you have to touch them on a regular basis and even then, you only get an estimate of your burn - which is not much better than what you'd get from a treadmill or even MFP. The chest straps are a better method of monitoring your heart rate because they get a constant read.

You can go to the Polar website for more information on their particular HRMs - lots of helpful info including downloadable copies of the user's guides.
  • kevkelly15
    Options
    yes you have to have a strap
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7, it does come with a chest strap, and I highly recommend it.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    All good HRM will come with a chest strap. The ones that don't aren't going to give you as true for you readings. And yes, the Polar FT7 comes with a strap (transmitter)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have a Body Media Fit. I wear it on my left arm during workouts (no chest strap needed) . I love mine and have been using it since last winter.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for the Polar FT4 - it comes with a watch that, yes, you can wear as a regular watch if you want to. It also comes with a chest strap that has sewn into it two sections that, when wet, can pick up your heart rate and transmit that info to the "transmitter" which is a small plastic additional piece that snaps into the chest strap (you should remove it between wearings, and of course not send it through the wash.)

So you get 3 pieces: the strap, the transmitter, and the watch. You connect the transmitter to the strap, and put that around your chest, then put the watch on your wrist. :) Hope that helps!
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    No, they don't all come with chest straps.
    The Polar FT7 does come with a chest strap though.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    The FT7 does come with a chest strap. Don't get an HRM without a chest strap.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There are three parts to a polar HRM... the wrist/watch, the transmitter and the chest strap. The transmitter "reads" the heart beats detected by the chest strap and "transmit" the beats to the watch. The watch takes your input (m/f, weight, age, VO2 number) and the heart rate and the time elapsed and computes/determines your calories burned.

It is my understanding that HRMs that are watches alone (meaning they take your heart rate from your wrist) are not as reliable as using a HRM with a chest strap & transmitter combination. I can't tell you why, unless each movement of your wrist can cause the watch to lose contact with your pulse.

If you use a HRM and after a while it reads your heart rate irratically or determines your heart rate to shoot up to the 200s, you know it's time to replace the battery in the transmitter.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I have never bought a HRM that does not come with a strap.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    No I have one that you wear on your wrist like a watch The brand name is Mio I love it
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Some do. Some don't.

I've used to have one where you could just periodically test your HR by hold the monitor a particular way. But, these are notoriously inaccurate and a really HUGE pain to use.

Get one with a chest strap. I was super hesitant at first, because I thought it might be uncomfortable... but you can hardly tell it's there. On that note: I have a Polar FT7 and I love it.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Can you adjust the setting with your weight and age or is it just go by the heart rate?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

Can you adjust the setting with your weight and age or is it just go by the heart rate?

You can set your weight and age. Remember to change your weight if you lose. I have the FT4 and it has a strap too.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Good thread.

Thanks for doing the research. I added this one to my Amazon wish list.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I dont even notice the chest strap after i put it on. its not bad. love my ft4!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    To answer the main question.... the good ones come with a chest strap.

I have an FT7 myself, and it's awesome.
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    I have the FT4 and I love it. It's bloomin awesome and the chest strap is super comfy and totally washable (apart from the transmitter which pops off anyway).

You'll never look back when you get one :)