Where's everyone from? (And food too!)

Options

Replies

• MrsWJO
    MrsWJO Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota - the land of hotdish. Mmmm...tator tot hotdish. Delish.

And beer. Mmmm...beer!
  • branflake6
    branflake6 Posts: 115
    Options
    I grew up in Cincinnati, Oh and still live in the area (although I moved away a couple times, there's no place like home)
    Here we have our Cincinnati style chili and cheese coneys. Gold Star is my favorite, but there is also Skyline which is very popular and the rival of Gold Star. So basically you take the Gold Star Chili (which is Cincinnati style chili) put in on the hotdog, in the bun top with mustard, onion and cheese. We also have 3 ways, 4 ways and 5 ways; 3 way is spaghetti, chili & cheese, 4 way is a 3 way plus onion or beans, 5 way is a 3 way with onion and beans. Its good stuff.
    We also Montgomery Inn BBQ which is awesome and Grippos BBQ chips
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    Unfortunately, we Dutch are also good at this: Dutch cheese and Bitterballen!!

Catering-van-Hapjes-Aan-Huis-Hollands-kaasplateau.jpg
    036fc4a6270334f178415a1863ed2f38_normal.JPG

Yummmm....
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Ontario, Canada but spent a good deal of my life in my parents hometown in England. Oh lawd, anything curry based. Flying saucers sweets. CADBURY'S BUTTONS.

But most of all. I live 3 blocks from a poutine bar that is open 24/7. The ultimate Canadian food. The other day I was thinking about Mac and Cheese poutine with bacon and thought, when I get to my goal, we are going to order that and I'll get to have some of it.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we Dutch are also good at this: Dutch cheese and Bitterballen!!

Catering-van-Hapjes-Aan-Huis-Hollands-kaasplateau.jpg
    036fc4a6270334f178415a1863ed2f38_normal.JPG

Yummmm....
    ugggh I grew up in a primarily Dutch town in Ontario. Oliebollen was always my biggest weakness. To top it off, my boyfriend is Dutch and thus it makes a nice little appearance at his parents cottage.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ireland!

& food-wise, the simple spud - baked/mashed/roasted + everything and anything that it spawns (chips/fries, crisps, dumplings, wedges, hash browns etc...)
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I was born (and mostly raised) in California, and my downfall is burritos and tacos. :(

Right now I live in Jersey, and my downfall here is Taylor Ham. >_< lol. But ohmygosh, it's so good! I'd never even heard of it until I met and married my husband, but you can get it in any store or diner out here.
  • darls25
    darls25 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was born in Germany and spent a lot of years living there and most of my family still does. They have so many yummy things. Schnitzel, bratwurst, kaiser rolls, potato salad, etc.

Right now I live in Idaho and we pretty much have a lot of corn and potato's in our food. There is also a big Hispanic community so lots of yummy Mexican food :D
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Chicago area... and of course the foods that are big here are deep dish pizza which includes lots of cheese and a butter crust and italian beefs. Both are wonderfully delicious :) Of course the sausage on the deep dish pizza is a huge patty of sausage too!
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am from Newfoundland, Canada.

I would say that my downfall was Salt Beef. Yup, Beef, cured in Salt. I think one 100g piece is something like 3600mg of salt. It's mostly cooked with white potatoes, and some other veggies and stuff ("puddings" but not like any creamy Jello kind or anything lol) and referred to as "Jiggs Dinner" . I still eat Jiggs Dinner, I have just adjusted it so it's not so bad for me lol.

Our biggest downfall is salt. We add salt to everything!! Salt Beef, Salt Cod, Salt ______. Traditionally it was done to preserve our food, and while we no longer HAVE to use it to preserve food, I think we have grown fond of the taste lol. I refuse to cook with it, but almost all of my friends and family use it while cooking, and then drown their food in it after it's on their plate.
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ocala, Florida, US

Gator Tail, Frog Legs, anything seafood, BBQ, Fried Okra
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I am from Newfoundland, Canada.

I would say that my downfall was Salt Beef. Yup, Beef, cured in Salt. I think one 100g piece is something like 3600mg of salt. It's mostly cooked with white potatoes, and some other veggies and stuff ("puddings" but not like any creamy Jello kind or anything lol) and referred to as "Jiggs Dinner" . I still eat Jiggs Dinner, I have just adjusted it so it's not so bad for me lol.

Our biggest downfall is salt. We add salt to everything!! Salt Beef, Salt Cod, Salt ______. Traditionally it was done to preserve our food, and while we no longer HAVE to use it to preserve food, I think we have grown fond of the taste lol. I refuse to cook with it, but almost all of my friends and family use it while cooking, and then drown their food in it after it's on their plate.

My mother came from the Quebec province, and I remember her using salt pork in her baked beans. Is that the sort of thing you are describing? I'm vegetarian now, but I vaguely remember this from my childhood.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Seems like there's a lot of Texans on this thread. I'm right up there with them. I've managed to stay away from the deep-fried things served at the fairs and the rodeo (all except the zucchini... but then, that stuff is delicious). I have a big family and they like to make pies and cakes and all sorts of sweet things covered in butter for any and all holidays (minor ones included). Family gatherings are my downfall.
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I love you and your list....I'm another Southern girl so your list has me drooling(except for the liver pudding...). I must also add cornbread that is made with REAL corn meal and buttermilk cooked in a cast iron skillet(none of that Jiffy crap), collard greens that are cooked with smoked meat...preferably a ham hock, and homemade mac-n-cheese. That that crap in a blue box. The kind with eggs, whole milk, and a 2 inch layer of sharp chedder cheese on the top.....Last but not least a simple pound cake....made with a pound of REAL butter.....
  • G_iulia80
    G_iulia80 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am from Bucharest, Romania.
    I don't eat much from our traditional food. I prefer to eat simple and healthy (fruits, vegetables, poultry, fish, yoghurt, cereals).
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I live in England but right on the border with Scotland so my nearest chippie is in Scotland and they do deep fried steak pies which I had a bit of craving for when I was pregnant with my second child....my husband sat me down and explained what trans fats were...:-(
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    North Carolina... born and bred....

Deep-fried anything is native.

Barbeque is a noun and always pork.

Biscuits and meat (sausage, ham, fried chicken, fried steak, bacon... etc.)

Whole milk

Liver pudding (which is actually yummy)

But my favorite is a red ripe tomato just off the vine, with Dukes mayonnaise.

I think I love you and your list....I'm another Southern girl so your list has me drooling(except for the liver pudding...). I must also add cornbread that is made with REAL corn meal and buttermilk cooked in a cast iron skillet(none of that Jiffy crap), collard greens that are cooked with smoked meat...preferably a ham hock, and homemade mac-n-cheese. That that crap in a blue box. The kind with eggs, whole milk, and a 2 inch layer of sharp chedder cheese on the top.....Last but not least a simple pound cake....made with a pound of REAL butter.....
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm from Oregon USA. My downfall is chocolate ANYTHIGN and cheesecake!!! Sweets in general lol
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Aussie living in Texas in the U.S. I miss certain areas from my hometown (Melbourne) that had amazing restaurants. Lygon Street (famous for authentic Italian food - not Olive Garden), I miss real Thai and Malaysian, the little restaurants that were cheap and delicious. Can't get Laksa here! I miss the non-franchised places.
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Was born & raised in Illinois, and the staple out there is sweet corn....but I always go back for Monical's Pizza, which started my love of pizza!
    Where did you live in IL? I'm not far from Pekin and we LOVE Monicals! lol

Danville, just east of Champaign.