cheat day?!?

Options
Does anybody here have a cheat day? One day per week where you just do NOT count calories? I was thinking about making Sunday my cheat day, but I don't want it to negate everything I've done for the rest of the week! If anybody else does this, please let me know what your rules are and how that works for you in your weight loss journey. I work hard and love to play on the weekends, which usually includes a drink or two and going out to eat!

Replies

• newarkcatholicfan
    newarkcatholicfan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ater my brother and I spoke to a few trainers and those who cpmpete we decided to have a cheat day.
    What we did though was break it down to where we have a cheat meal and eat one snack per week.
    I still count my calories just to show me how bad I was and this makes me workout a lot harder.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yes I have one. I need it to stay sane. :love:
  • rheign
    rheign Posts: 56
    Options
    I don't have a scheduled cheat day, but if I feel I need to cut loose and let go once in a while, I do so, within reason. I think it has help keep me on track as well as confuse my metabolism a bit. HTH. ;]
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    I think everybody should have one....
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I do a cheat meal once a week but I still log in my calories.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    what we have to remember is that the only way to make this last forever is to make it a lifestyle. it would be unheard of to live life without those occasional rewards. everything in moderation. for me personally, i don't do a cheat day every week. but when there's a special occasion i plan that cheat day around that. birthdays come up often enough in our family that i get probably 2 a month.

i'm an emotional eater. i've learned i have to force myself to plan what i'm going to eat. so setting a day wouldn't be a bad idea for someone like me because then i know i'm eating it because it was planned and not for emotional reasons.

you really gotta find what works for you. don't beat yourself up for having a cheat day. and i would suggest you still track on your cheat day to put into perspective what you're putting in you.
  • rajekred
    Options
    I think having a cheat day is a great idea within reason. If you do this everyweek, you should still maintain a record of your calories, and I think it would be wise to still do a small workout that morning. Remember, when you started, they automatically knocked off the number of calories you needed to cut down to meet your goal, on your cheat day, I would add this to whatever your daily calorie allowance is and try to stay below that. That's the number of calories needed to maintain your weight, so as long as you don't go over those, its almost not like cheating at all. :wink:
  • Buckeyegirl71
    Options
    You have to have a "cheat day" because life happens. Wedding season, graduation and summer picnics are fast approaching. But as others have mentioned I still log my info just so I know how bad my cheat day was and how much extra work I need to do to burn it off. You will go crazy and feel deprived it you don't let yourself have some fun once in a while.
  • amanda0328
    amanda0328 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm just starting, so I don't have a "cheat" day yet. I think you can have a cheat day, but you should record your calories so you won't get out of the habit and to see how bad it can be for you. Once I start seeing a difference and I might splurge and then have a cheat day.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I have a pre-planned cheat day every once in awhile. Probably twice a month on average. I think it's necessary to indulge every once in awhile, however the longer I stay true to my diet- aka lifestyle changes- the less I enjoy those strays.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Friday is my cheat day but I make it a cheat meal not the entire day because I like to have a few drinks afterward. Like Iceprincess said...I have to have a cheat day in order to stay sane! :drinker:
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have heard alot about the cheat day, and decided to have one. funny enough, I did not really cheat well. I went to costco and had a frozen yogurt sundae. it was really good too. maybe next time i decide to cheat.... i will work at it harder.

I think the name "cheat day" just sounds bad. it makes it sound like you are doing something wrong. lifes little pleasures were put there for a reason, but moderation is the key.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I have what I call "high calories day" about once a week. I kind of zig zag my diet so this high calories day probably isn't doing me bad. Unless this day falls on an event during which it is hard to count calories, I still count and log though. I just allow myself a lot more flexibility and a sweet of fatty extra.
  • queensara2478
    Options
    I too need to stay sane! I have a "cheat" day about once a week sometimes a little less. I just work out extra that day!
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I try to have more like a cheat meal, and still log my cals, even if its way high and embarrassing..

But lately as ive gotten closer to my goal it hasnt been working like it used to, and i spend all week trying to "lose" what i "gained" from that day, so I might have to cut back to every other week or something.. But when I had more to lose I think it actually helped me lose weight! Im a believer in the zig zagging cals!

Id say go for it if you know you can get back on track the next day- a lot of people cant have a "taste" or they get all off track!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have a fat free frozen yogurt (peanut butter and sooo yummy) on Saturday night and don't exercise on Saturdays. Still log my cals but I do go over when I don't exercise so I count that as my cheat day.

I was doing the whole day off but I would be so mad every Monday because I would do great all week and be down 3 lbs on the scale then Monday I would be back up the 3 lbs plus more sometimes! :grumble: I felt like one bad day was making all the good days progress fall flat. Once I found my yogurt treat I felt I could still indulge without getting to the point that I felt bad about it. I really look forward to my Yogurt and enjoy all 4 oz!:happy:
  • nicorae_24
    Options
    I dont think a cheat day is a bad idea. I feel that every time i had one before I always took way too advantage of it. So now I just have the cheat meal or occasional snack or if im going out, my drinks are my cheat meal and i've learned not to feel bad about it and just get right back on track right away.
  • MagzGraz
    Options
    HI there.... I do have one cheat day but as I am still not too disciplined I count calories and allow myself to have a treat on that day or not to be as sticked with staying exactly to my 1200 calories.

I look forward to that day and its not necessarily the same day of the week...Today I am taking the kids to the movie and since I love movie popcorn so much that is goin to be my treat for the week....It doesnt sound much but I am not a stong willed person so we are starting off slow!!!
  • cherylpoitevent
    cherylpoitevent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would never survive if I didn't have one.

Like some of the others -- I still count calories but I do my best to not focus on them... I eat what I want and dont feel bad about it.... but you also have to consider this.... if you're working out and end up being under your calories on a few days... or everyday (I have been and it hasn't affected me).... your cheat day will kind of balance itself out.... :)

You can do this! .... I literally know you can! :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think the name "cheat day" just sounds bad. it makes it sound like you are doing something wrong. lifes little pleasures were put there for a reason, but moderation is the key.

Thats why I call it a TREAT day!