Bye-bye to the EatSmart Scale

Options
I gave it several weeks, but alas, I have opted to return my beautiful EatSmart digital scale. I had posted about this issue and many people here told me to keep up with this scale -- properly calibrate it, find that flat spot on the floor, leave it there. Alas, nothing worked.

I was so excited to join the 21st century and get an EXACT measure of my weight. I have been jealous of those people who are actually logging their weight down to the tenth of a pound. On my old, trusty and rusty mechanical scale, I can only see whole pounds (sort of).

I thought the EatSmart scale was the answer. I was so happy to unpack that beautiful, modern EatSmart scale. Gorgeous! High tech! and, in my case, completely unreliable. On the website it is very clear that you have to place the scale on a flat, hard surface. I figured that would be no problem, as I don't have any carpeting in my house, only tile. Alas, the tile I have is textured. I could not find a single place in the home that would give me consistent reads on the scale. I had kept my trusty and rusty old scale as a comparison, as well as comparing to my weight at the local grocery store. I was consistently losing on both of those scales, but not on the EatSmart.

How I hated boxing up that beautiful scale. So many people have great success with that scale. I'm just not one of those people. Pity, I really wanted to track a more accurate weight. Does anyone know of a digital scale that would not be affected by a textured floor?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think you will have that issue with any of them. Digital scales are much more sensitive than the trusty mechanical ones.

I say put the scale in the closet and only bring it out on special occasions. Use a tape measure instead.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I bought an equally beautiful Taylor digital scale with extra large numbers. I can move it anywhere in the house and it is within 4 oz (and i have 100 year old house with uneven floors). It has a very wide base and multiple sensors, which is why I think it is stable.

I bought it to replace my wobbly mechanical one.

It was $38 at Target. If you want to give digital another shot.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My hubby bought us a sleek WW (Weight Watchers, by Conair) digital scale at Costco (my daughter bought herself one as well). It's on our bathroom tile floor (also somewhat textured) and we've had no problem with it. Though I did have to finally read the directions (!) to figure out how to get the display to show. (You tap the center of the scale with the ball of your foot--moderate force--to 'wake' it up.) It, too, has extra large numbers.

Model: WW57GD (Price: $37.50 on eBay - don't know what it was at Costco)

images.jpg

Good luck! (It IS nice to be able to see even a tenth of a pound weight difference.)
  • mskimber99
    Options
    i got a weight watchers digital scale as well..luv it
  • Brooke1076
    Brooke1076 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If it's defective they will gladly send you a new one
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    The Withings scale comes with feet (at least it does in the uk) to use on Carpet / uneven floors.
  • knittiki
    knittiki Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just found a small piece of plywood to put under it. That see!s to work fine!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Havent' read the other replies,
    but,
    to the OP,
    i had same problem, at first,
    but, i washed the floor of any bits of sand,
    lined up my scale along some tile lines, to mark where it "should" be, So when i stand on scale,
    i can see the lines of the tile just along the borders of the scale, to know it IS in same spot, Even moving the scale just a fraction of an inch can mess it up. HAS TO STAY IN EXACT SAME PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i
    instructed the entire family to NOT ever ever move it,
    and
    i always always stand in exact same spot on the scale itself, lining up my toes on a design on the scale i own.

I also discovered, for *my* scale,
    stepping onto it verrrry sloooowwwwly,
    gives me a much more accurate read.

I allow the scale to clear itself again,
    and re-weigh myself,
    i usually get exact same number again.........and i have a cheapo brandX digital scale. I also have textured bathroom tiles, BUT, so long as i do NOT move the scale, ever, it will accurately give me numbers so i can compare my weight today
    to my weight yesterday.

ALSO
    TRY THIS. AFTER FOLLOWING THE STEPS ABOVE,
    DO THIS: PICK UP A FULL BOTTLE OF MOUTHWASH, 16 OZ MOUTHWASH or whatever, or any known weight,
    and reweigh yourself. Even on my cheapo scale, i can see i weight just about 16 oz more when i hold the mouthwash.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i WAS going to go buy the old coil-driven "old-fashioned" kind, too,
    til i read more on those.....said those are just as likely to give a false number, too.

My last spin-dial scale,
    told me i was ten pounds lighter than i actually was, for years.

and some of those can not accurately weight over a certain amount.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I never knew this was an issue. I have a Tanita digital scale I bought on clearance at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I have textured tile and I'm not careful to keep my scale on a single tile or in the same exact place, but I've never had issues with accuracy or consistency.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    My 30 year old scale has the dial that moves and it is unreliable as heck. I stand on it multiple times until I get two reading the same, I know it weights a little high compared to the doctors office and Publix. Nothing electronic on it.

Good points:
    It tells me if I am going in the right direction; that's all that really matters.
    It tells me if I am going in the WRONG direction. Oh, I guess that matters too.
    It does not require batteries.

Bad point
    I cannot get excited about a little weight loss cause it's a crap shoot. But then I don't get all hyper about a teeny weight gain.

Maybe when I am closer to goal and the loss is slower I'll think about going digital. But for now, meh, I'm in the ballpark.

p.s. It is critical to keep that sucker in the exact same spot.