I lost 8 lbs in a month? Whaa?

Options
How is that even possible? That can't be right. Did I stand on the scale wrong?

I wonder if I'm over-reporting the calorie content of my food. I sometimes guess and just choose the item with a lot of calories to "pad" my calories in the negative direction.

The one major change is I've been walking home from work, about 25 mins/day. And I eat those calories back. And I've been overshooting my calories consistently every week.

I'm not mad, obviously.

Maybe I'm walking at a faster pace than I think I am. I log myself at the slowest pace.

Replies

• tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Eating right + exercise... People who are dedicated easily lose 2lbs a week... 4 weeks in a month = 8 lbs. Sounds like you're right on track.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible! I usually average about a 7 lbs loss each month.

Great job and keep up the good work! :happy:
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Eating right + exercise... People who are dedicated easily lose 2lbs a week... 4 weeks in a month = 8 lbs. Sounds like you're right on track.

^This. If you're doing all the right things, 8 pounds in a month is quite doable.
  • ladyjanewriter
    ladyjanewriter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you. :-) But DANG this is strange. I thought for sure I was gonna go up at least a pound.

I know this'll slow down once I hit the 150-ish range, and I'll have to step up my game a bit more. I plan to do Zumba next. I love to dance.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    It sounds reasonable to me. Keep it up!
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You may get to the point where you are begging for 1/2 a pound a week ( llike me! ) so enjoy it while you can!
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yeah you sound a lot like me.. The estimating the slowest pace on the walking.. I invested in a pedometer and was pleasantly surprised that my usual pace wasnt as slow as i thought it was.. and i had no idea of the distance as well

ive never had to watch my weight until recently so i am afraid to put lbs lost results up until i am sure they will "hold"

I am beginning to see that a regular routine of cutting out one or two bad things, sticking in a few more good things and trying to excercise somehow, each day, can provide some results

consistency, small steps and slow and steady.. i didnt get this belly overnight so why should i expect it to go away that fast

keep it up , sounds like you are doing great
  • ladyjanewriter
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and encouragement!

And mphlab - yep. I know that's coming down the pike. :-)

I've been (way!) up and (way!) down this road before.

Highest ever was 270+ (and then I stopped weighing). Lowest ever was 119 lbs. I'm 5 ft 3 1/2 inches. Neither the high or the low was fun at all. Aching knees/ankles/hips and heart pounding at the upper range, cold and growing yellow downy fur and racing thoughts at the lower range.

Looking forward to the happy, healthy medium.
  • ladyjanewriter
    Options
    udproud - I'm gonna start logging my walking at the medium-ish pace. I time it and go by minutes. This may be why I'm overshooting my calories. Because I'm not really overshooting them at all.
  • patentpope
    Options
    I was like you and was amazed that I lost 2 lbs a week. But it was hard to argue with the scale week after week. Just be happy that you had a nice month and keep up the good work.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I lose between 5-7 a month on average but had a month where I lost 8 pounds. I was totally flabbergasted and did not believe it! Good on you! :)
  • Chyll88
    Chyll88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have done it twice so yes very possible:-)
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Very nice! You earned that nice loss! <3
  • Chrisxytme
    Chrisxytme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great job, I'm at 9 trying to get to 10 by Friday so it can be done with a lot of hard work and eating right.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's also possible that you were undereating in the first place and have found a better calorie level. <ijs>
  • katieboosmom
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs in the first month so it's doable. Keep in mind the first 3-5 lbs are probably water weight.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Embrace it! It seems like you're losing at a healthy pace! You're doing great!
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've lost 4 pounds in two weeks, totally doable! Great job!
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Could be because you're eating healthier. Also, it kind of seems that the distance matters more than the speed. I haven't tested this because I don't have a HRM - but when I put in my walks, regardless of how fast I'm going it usually gives me about the same calories for the same distance.

I would imagine your body is just happy it's being treated better now. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!