Overhead Press

Options
Currently I have been doing the Stronglift 5x5 workout routine for about 3 - 4 weeks. I have made some good progress on a lot of the lifts but it seems I just suck at the overhead press and haven't really been able to progress much.

Currently I can do:
Squat - 185 lbs
Bench - 135 lbs
deadlift - 215 lbs
bent over row - 135 lbs
overhead press 75 lbs :(

Every time I try to go higher weight on the overhead press I end up not being able to complete the 5 reps so I have to bring the weight back down. Any suggestions on how to strengthen these muscles to keep adding the weight would be super.

Thanks

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I think Poliquin has got some stuff on this
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    First off, are you eating a calorie surplus or deficit? eventually all lifts will stall on a deficit. In either case press stalls easiest because it is the one that is lowest\weakest. If you are on a deficit you might just have to deal with it, but, you can get some microloading plates, drop the weight by 5lbs, then start increasing by 1lb per workout instead of 5.
  • mccabe_cj
    mccabe_cj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a calorie deficit. However, some days I do go over but usually over a week I am under. I really suck when it comes to eating but anyway that is a different story. The smallest plates they have at the gym I go to is 2.5.
    Is it normal to be that much further under weight in the press than the other lifts. I guess I can just deal with it if I am going to stall at this weight until I get my body fat to a more reasonable level.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    push press
    static over head carries
    pull ups
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It is normal for something to lag behind, you're really very lucky if this doesn't happen. Everyone has a weakness.

For interest rather than a solution (DeterminedNoob's is a good solution, plus patience):

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/719/Top-Five-Pressing-Issues.aspx

Ratio 1. The ratio between seated dumbbell overhead presses and the bench press. The weight that can be lifted for 8 reps on each dumbbell on an overhead press should represent 29 percent of the close-grip bench press measure. In other words, a man who can close-grip bench press 100 kilos for a single would use a pair of 29-kilo dumbbells for 8 reps in the seated dumbbell overhead press. Failure to meet that ratio indicates poor stabilization of the scapulae, mainly due to weakness of the serratus anterior.

Ratio 2. The ratio between the press-behind-neck and the bench press. The weight for a 1RM (repetition maximum) press-behind-neck from a seated position should represent 66 percent of the weight used for 1RM in the close-grip bench press. That exercise is performed from a dead-stop position with the bar resting on the traps, not from a weight handed off to the trainee in the lock-out position. If one cannot do the press-behind-neck pain free, soft tissue limitations are usually responsible for those limitations, and have to be addressed immediately.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a calorie deficit. However, some days I do go over but usually over a week I am under. I really suck when it comes to eating but anyway that is a different story. The smallest plates they have at the gym I go to is 2.5.
    Is it normal to be that much further under weight in the press than the other lifts. I guess I can just deal with it if I am going to stall at this weight until I get my body fat to a more reasonable level.

Yes it is normal. OHP uses less muscle than Bench. You would have to buy some microloading plates or use washers\baseball bat rings\chains or whatever. I'm a baller (not srs) so I have actual microloading plates http://www.roguefitness.com/iron-woody-fractional-plates.php
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Is it normal to be that much further under weight in the press than the other lifts.
    Mine are at similar proportions. I think we all just have relative strengths and weaknesses, and for me my arms are much weaker than my legs, comparatively.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating one day where you do these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj2w851ZHRM

Arnold presses are a great shoulder excercise.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Rest up to 5 minutes between sets. You'll get 'er if you do that based on how your other lifts have progressed.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Could you have someone check your form? Clean and press is the lift I find most difficult but my trainer has had me change my form a bit and it's soooo much better. Not easy, but not as hard as it was.