dealing with stress

Options
I had plans to go to the gym before work but my day has been shot completely. Woke up to the phone call of a sick dying family member again (4 in 3 months, elderly family). It is put on me to inform the rest of the family. I'm now late for work (they understand and switched my schedule) but can't get a workout in today.

This is becoming an everyday thing. I have plans to do right and someone else changes everything. I'm still trying to squeeze a walk around the neighborhood in just to relax.

My stress level is thru the roof, I'm an emotional eater. I need help dealing with the stress of everything that I can do anywhere anytime to help keep me on track.

Something to do possibly while on the phone while making these calls and arrangements for everyone. Or at work as a bartender.

Replies

• LailaB123
    LailaB123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break! Breathe, know you can do this, and don't add to your stress by being down on yourself. That being said, while on the phone, try standing, pacing, walking, doing lunges, stand on one foot while depending on your core for balance, or just breathe deeply. Baby steps - we'll all get there eventually. Hang in there, and I'm sorry for the family challenges you're facing right now; been there myself.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. If you stress eat...keep doing it...but stress eat raw carrots or something!
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I recently lost my grandfather to cancer and then two weeks later my dog of 18+ years, who's been my constant companion, died as well. I'm also an emotional eater and I found what helped me while making arrangements was to doodle as I talked, or write as I talked, I walked around the house a lot and took inventory of food that needed to be replaced and while I was confirming final details I was baking for the afterwards. I did splurge a couple of times and have two mini red velvet cheescakes but having them cut my cravings for other things and keeping busy by talking to people that knew my loved ones kept me busy.
  • Apresner
    Apresner Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm sorry about everything you are going through. Make the time. Trust me! I have a 7 month old, I work full time, and my husband is deployed. I don't have any help. I work out every day. Usually that means giving up some sleep but I always feel all that stress melting away.
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First, I'm sorry for you losses! That is a huge toll to have put on you!

Second, I am a single mom. I have had my share of stresses. My daughter is 4 and I have been thru custody court and child support court more than I care to count. Not to mention that my ex doesn't even bother showing up or supporting the child he has, he just had another baby with his new g/f... so yeah.. stress is thru the roof!! I started seeing a therapist (started out as co-parent therapy, but with the birth of the baby it was put on hold). It has helped me so much! If you are looking for advice, some I can give is, you can't really change the bad, just sit back and breathe. Focus on what you can and are doing for you. If you are going to eat, at least make it a healthy eat.. fruits and veggies... Don't keep the "junk" food around, it will get too tempting. Try to have snacks at the ready.. keep a baggie of baby carrots easy to grab, or cut up an apple everyday so you can just chow down. You can pull threw it!!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree!! There are things you can still do while making those calls! You can get your exercises in and it might help you relax a bit as well!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Try a stability ball while you make your calls. It will give you something to do and get you exercise. :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, even often times there are things more important than a work out. One thing you can keep in mind is that MFP is designed for you to be able to lose weight without working out. Your deficit is already included in your goal.

The emotional eating is a bigger problem and the one, IMO, you should be focusing more of your energy on. Try coming up with foods you can eat that are healthy but that you really, truly enjoy (I always recommend recipes from OhSheGlows.com for this!). Also, since it seems to be a regular occurrence that your day is interrupted from the get go- try to have a back up plan in place for what to eat on days you can't get to the gym (ideally featuring something from the above suggestion.)

Planning is your friend. Contingency plans doubly so.
  • negrita1126
    Options
    First, my prayers are with you as you go through your trials.
    Secondly, you need to be able to help in trying situations but not carry the entire load. In this situation where you had calls to make, is there a way where you create a phone tree? You call the first 2 people, those 2 people call 2 people, etc. That frees up some time and allows you to have a bit more control of your life.
    I've learned the hard way... a workout relieves stress. If you don't get it in during the morning, get it in before bed. It helps you sleep better instead of tossing and turning over the thoughts in your head that you can't do much about. (can you tell I am speaking from experience?)
    I pray that you find peace and more importantly find a way to get what you need to balance your life and get in the workout you need.
  • kutterba
    kutterba Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Stress isn't just one thing- I had to plan my father's funeral while preparing to fly my husband and I to his son's wedding. Sometimes it's just EVERYTHING! I gained back most of what I'd lost since beginning. Now my husband tries to get us out for a walk-even a short one-every day. Getting away, even for a few minutes, makes a big difference. Make sure you take your breaks at work, get away from the place you work and walk, drink water, breathe.
    Major life changes are hard on us all. Take one day at a time.
    Water, breathe, and take time to grieve.
    God bless.
  • roguestates
    Options
    I've also been an emotional eater... lately, I have started to do push-ups, go for a walk (walk in place if I have to), or something physical whenever I get overwhelmed by anxiety/emotions. This has helped me a lot, because being physical during times of duress eases the pain, even if it's hard to do when you're feeling overwhelmed.

Additionally, take a break and respect your body and your mental well-being by giving it what it needs, especially since you're dealing with a lot of legit crap right now. Take the time to grieve, it's super important to healing.
  • Delilah7
    Delilah7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your losses. Is this something someone else can help you with. LIke maybe you can call one person or send a mass text message. i do not know the whole situation but i would not let other people put that much stress on me......