Running advice

Options
Yesterday I made a promise to myself that next year I would run the 10 mile race in the Crim. I have NEVER in my life been able to run a mile, not even as a kid. I know I have a long way to go, and a lot of weight to lose, but I have a year to train for it. I am familiar with C25K. Would you recommend starting there and then expanding once I reach that goal? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Heather

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Yes,start with C25K. Then, when you are finished with that program, there is another one called Bridge to 10K, I believe. Or you could do a modified half-marathon training program.
  • ashblonde1
    Options
    Hi,

I recommend the C25K and then you can introduce Fartlek training to increase from 5K.

Good luck. I have a similar goal, half marathon in May. Just about to start the training myself.
  • snoppdog69
    Options
    Definately start with the C25K. I'm currently on Week 3 and it's been great training for me.

I've never been a runner but this is building up you up at a steady pace which is fantastic.
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    That's a great way to do it!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes start with the c25k and then move on to b210k. You'll be able to do them both and it makes it fun.
  • susan954
    Options
    I would also recommend C25k. I never enjoyed running but was challenged by my niece to try the C25k program. I started running with a friend when I was on week 2, she was on week 5, she "slowed down" for me as I had no concept of being able to run for 8 minutes without stopping. Now I am running 25 minutes straight and enjoying it. NEVER thought that could ever happen. I will run my first 5k this weekend, and am excited about completing it, and actually looking forward to it. If you have a friend to run with it's a definite plus.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This website has great information.

http://www.runnersworld.com/
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner, but wanted to be. C25K made it really easy and now I LOVE it! I think there's also a C210K, but I believe it was more intimidating. I'd start with the 5 and then the Bridge to 10K like someone else suggested.
  • Janet1042
    Janet1042 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    C25K worked great for me! My only advice is to get a heart rate monitor to keep from going out too fast. Keep that heart rate in the target zone and it'll be easier for you to build up the mileage. And please, for the love of all that is holy, get good running shoes. Good shoes will help you develop good form. They don't necessarily have to be pricey, just the right ones for your weight, foot type, etc. Any decent running store will spend the time to get you the right shoe and often will take returns if the ones you buy just aren't quite right after you try them out. I'm in Seattle and love the service and return policy at Super Jock n' Jill. Mizuno's website has a cool online fit calculator if you want to get an idea of the type of things that go into deciding which shoe is right for you. I'm not saying their shoes are right for everyone, just like the online calculator thing. I did NOT do this when I first started out running and ended up with a nasty case of plantar fasciitis that sidelined me for over a year. I used C25K AGAIN after that healed and found it was great for easing back into running after an injury, too.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I ran the Crim for the first time yesterday. I'd recommend New Balances Good Form Running. Jeff Galloway book for half marathon perpetration, a gym boss timer, and a great pair of shoes. I started training in March so you have plenty of time. Enjoy, the Crim is a great race.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    C25K us awesome and you can repeat weeks uf you struggle. I have a great phone app called rundouble Get some GREAT trainers! X
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    Options
    Yes start with the c25k and then move on to b210k. I like you have never ever been a runner. Not even when I was younger. As a matter of fact in high school my friend and I would always walk the required "mile run" in PE. One day I decided that I wanted a challenge and wanted to conquer something that I have never in my life been able to do. I found the c25k program and although I was intimidated I decided to give it a try. It was the best decision I ever made. I finished the program in the beginning of July and ran my first 5k race on July 22nd. I was able to run the entire thing without stopping, which was my only goal. It was so much fun and so exhilarating. I'm still running 3 times a week for about 3 1/2 to 4 miles each time. I'm now thinking of starting the b210k program soon. I was always the person who hated running and wanted no part of it. I never thought I would ever be able to do it ever. Now here I am actually running 4 miles without stopping and LOVING every minute of it. I have seriously grown to LOVE running and feel like it completes me. Best of luck to you and with a year training you will be able to do the 10 mile race easy. =)
  • CarlaRoberson5
    Options
    Heather, Not sure what the C25K is but, I have begin running on the treadmill. I am running in 1/8 mile increments. I want to be able to run quite a distance as well. I find that the distance which is challenging yet doable is a great place to start. My next goal is the 1/4 mile. Sure doesn't sound like a lot, but I was the same way as you are when I was a kid. I'm happy to say at 47 years old, I will be running something next year, not sure what. Keep me posted on your progress as I will you on my own. Hopes this helps.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Absolutely start there! Even as an athlete in my youth, I couldn't run a mile...C25K changed my life...and (yes I know how dramatic that sounds) my whole paradigm about what is possible. I'll never be fast or super endurance chick, but I can run for an hour or more straight...this would have sounded ridiculous to me 2 years ago.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start with something like C25K. You can also look up good training programs on www.HalHigdon.com, he has programs for beginner 5K up through advanced runner marathon. As someone else said, runnersworld.com and magazine is a great resource.

Some way to track your runs that allows you to see real time speed, heart rate as well as overall time & distance is a really good idea. Basically a HRM training watch with GPS or a pedometer attachment, or using a smartphone with a running app (endomondo or mapmyrun being very popular). There are a few bluetooth capable HRM chest straps if you wanted to go purely the smartphone route, but I haven't seen good reviews of them. Personally I find my small sony mp3 player and garmin FR60 HRM watch with footpod (pedometer) is lighter and more easily carried than my HTC android phone. Check a few out at stores and then see if you can get a better price online. I got my Garmin watch as a factory refurb from their online outlet and it has worked fine in the 6 months I've had it and it was near half the price of retail.

Shoes....go to a good running store and spend the time to get good shoes. Some places will even have you go on a treadmill for a minute or two so they can analyze your stride and basically custom fit you with the right shoe. The wrong shoes or worn out shoes can cause injury and make running very unpleasant.

Sign up for the 10 mile race as soon as you can. Everyone is motivated differently, but for me once I have signed up and paid the registration fee there is nothing short of serious injury that will keep me from doing a race. Since a 10 mile race is a solid distance, maybe do a couple 5k and 10k races before the 10 miler just to get used to the feel of a race event. The pre-race nerves and adrenaline at the start will make you start off faster than you planned and that can lead to problems towards the end of the run. Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do.... Watch out for sharp rocks! I learned from experience!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    C25K is good. I am done with that so I am going to do it again with hills to train for a hill run.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you're looking down the road to 10k distance or farther, there's a free app by Zen Labs called 10k Trainer. It is exactly the same as their c25kFREE app, but continues from end of the 5k training right into the 10k. Works great and it's free.
  • fuego84
    fuego84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll start with C25K and proceed from there. What heart rate monitor would everyone suggest?